PDA

View Full Version : Caledonia State Park in Fayetteville, PA

mary ann k
06-07-2007, 05:19 PM
Took our second trip with our new (to us) 3023. Our first trip we had water and electric. Caledonia only has electric but has a fill station and plenty of water spigots in the campground. We picked up a six gallon camping jug with a funnel at the local WalMart and filled the fresh water tank manually. The water pump worked great so we didn't miss the hookup at all.

The park is beautiful with about 45 miles of hiking trails including a short stretch on the Appalachian Trail. The mountain laurel was in bloom and was absolutely beautiful. I'd love to post a picture but I couldn't figure out how to do it. The park also has a large pool (entrance fee) with a beach entrance and a very nice playground. The bathrooms aren't fancy, but they're clean and the campgrounds (two) are shaded with good sized sites and fire rings with grills.

On the Appalachian Trail we met a through-hiker, Caveman, who moved home about six months ago, paid off all his bills, quit his job, and headed to Georgia in March to begin the long walk. It was his first experience hiking. What an ambitious beginning. He was with a trail buddy, Shadow, who had done the entire 2,000 miles before and was back to do some of his favorite bits. It's amazing how much you can learn about somebody in a five minute conversation. We wished them both well and didn't envy them their nights in the shelters. We'll take the comfy beds in the Trailmanor.

Larry and I recommend Caledonia for anyone who loves hiking. It's absolutely beautiful and only 15 miles or so from Gettysburg. Lots to see and do if it rains.