PDA

View Full Version : Vedauwoo, WY

grakin
04-30-2007, 02:15 PM
I stayed at the National Forest campground ($10/night) in Vedauwoo this weekend. Despite the campground not officially opening into May 15th, they have opened the campground early with the exception of water. No hookups of any type. Vault toilets are available. Everything is on paved roads, plenty easy to get my truck and 2619 around. Not a tun of privacy, but not bad either - certainly better than almost any commercial campground.

This area is known by locals as a great place to visit, especially for more lively groups, although most of the loud parties take place in the picnic area which is closed to vehicles after 8 - I've stayed in the campground several times, and other than occasionally hearing the interstate traffic (it's fairly close to the interstate), I've never had a problem (I'm a quiet camper).

The campground does have a bit of "touring" traffic - people who are just driving around the roads around the area, and not necessarily camping in the campground. More than a few people, including some of the "touring" people, stopped to look at the TM. It's interesting that the TM is apparently far more interesting than the $200,000+ Class A parked a couple sites away!

I've camped here both off-season and on-season, and have never had a problem getting a spot. It's great for people traveling I-80 across Wyoming (very easy access), although I'd recommend spending an extra day here, especially if you have kids - lots of places to hike, bike, etc - just watch them because the rocks can be a tempting thing to climb. For people who enjoy climbing rocks, Vedauwoo has some of the best climbing and bouldering in the country. In fact, it's the shape of these rocks that will get your attention. Some indian tribes thought that the rocks were placed as they are placed by playful spirits that were having some fun. You can see why when you visit.

If you go here on a night with a good moon and clear sky, walk down to the picnic area, lie down, and look up at the stars and the reflection of the moonlight on the rocks. It's really like no place else I've been when you go out at night.

Be prepared for sudden weather changes, and plan your hikes to be over before mid afternoon (typically we get thunderstorms around then). You certainly want to come down from the rocks at the first sign of a storm in the distance - you'll be amazed at how fast storms move and how slick those rough rocks become when wet. It can even snow here in the middle of July or August (although that's rare!), and it is often quite windy. The entire place is inaccessible in the winter, and don't even bother trying to get in - it doesn't matter what you drive, you'll get yourself stuck in winter (summer is fine - the rare snow that happens will melt as soon as it hits the ground).