PDA

View Full Version : Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park, CA

PopBeavers
03-11-2007, 07:14 PM
Drove down to Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park Friday night, our second trip this year. We booked reservations on Wednesday. This being off season that was plenty of time. I booked one of the four remaining 32 foot campsites. Max length trailer is listed as 27 feet and MHs at 32 feet. You could get something slightly longer into the park.

Weather was gorgeous 75 degrees during the day. Used the furnace a little in the evening and again in the morning. DW didn't like it on. When it cycled on and off it woke her up. So she turned off the furnace and we cuddled instead. Campground was not crowded. Campground showers were hot and clean. Restrooms were clean.

Saturday was a drive down the coast a little further south. Saw gray whales, one killer whale, one sea otter with baby, basking in the sun while floating on her back in the kelp beds. Numerous turkey vultures, but the California Condors were not out yesterday.

Saw deer and turkeys.

Took DW out to dinner Saturday night at Rocky Point Restaurant. We had surf and turf for two. Chicken, filet mignon, lobster tail and ribs with mushrooms. The largest pair of baked potatoes I have ever seen. Grilled sourdough bread slices with garlic butter and cheese. We will have the left overs for dinner tonight at home. Price was $89.00. With cocktails, wine, dessert and lattes it ended up at $150.00. Well worth the cost as a special treat.

Restaurant had a great view of the setting sun over the ocean. Restaurant is perched on a cliff overlooking the sea. Watched the waves crash onto the rocks. After the sun sets the flood lights come on to light up the view of the surf. Full bar is available. Restaurant is about 20 miles north of the park.

BrigCA61
03-12-2007, 07:22 AM
That sounds lovely... very romantic. Great trip report... thanks for sharing! We love the N. Calif coast, but have never camped there. I think we may have to plan a trip there soon.

loolindsay
03-28-2007, 09:14 PM
Sounds awesome!
Was just on the web, checking out camping options around Shasta/Clear Lake, got frustrated with lack of info. Decided to fall back on the amazing wealth of info here on TM forum - bingo! Came across your post. Guess we're just itching to go camping and you just may have helped plan our next outing.
Have you thought of getting an auxilary heater? We have a Mr. Heater - LOVE it. No bonking as with the built-in furnace. Used the Mr. Heater in Yosemite over Christmas, very cold temps, were toasty in the TM! Oh, and it is amazingly stingy on propane consumption.
We appreciate all that you contribute to this site,know that it doesn't go unnoticed!

B_and_D
03-28-2007, 09:21 PM
When we first got our TM, we took a couple of trips to Big Sur Campgrounds & Cabins. They have electricity and water. Some of the sites are right on the river (if you can call it that). When the State park is booked, they may have space available. We booked reservations for Pfeiffer for later this spring; it will be our first trip of the season. We haven't stayed there since our tent days, but have been hiking there with the kids several times. If you do go to Big Sur, one of our favorite hikes is to Molera State Beach. I think that area is one of the most beautiful places I've ever been to.

ragmopp
03-29-2007, 08:37 AM
We stayed at the Big Sur Campground and Cabins last year for a week in our other trailer. In our opinion, the campground is just sorta nice. We had a spot right on the river and it was great except for they put other campsites right on top of each other. It was amazing for us that they could get as many camping sites in there as they did. The other issue was it was very noisy on the weekends (we were there the week before Memorial day). Beautiful setting however.

We took the opportunity while in Big Sur, to spend a lot of time in Monterey/Carmel doing all the tourist things. Especially the aquarium. Also took an overnighter (without the trailer) to Morro Bay to see Hearst Castle. Morro Bay is a neat town, and we especially love the seafood you can get there. By the way there is a fish market and deli on the wharf in Morro Bay. It is called Giovanni's. Great seafood, we even were able to get some home grown Dungeness crab. We took it back to our trailer, and had it with some sour dough bread, and the required bottle of wine for dinner that night. What a way to travel!!

Mike Anderson

kempert
03-29-2007, 10:29 AM
Guys - You're killing me. I've gotten really, really hungry from reading your posts. Seriously, thanks for the info. I'll know where to go the next time I go all the way to the left coast.

Bill
03-29-2007, 12:30 PM
Saturday was a drive down the coast a little further south. Saw gray whales, one killer whale, one sea otter with baby, basking in the sun while floating on her back in the kelp beds. Numerous turkey vultures. Saw deer and turkeys.

Took DW out to dinner Saturday night at Rocky Point Restaurant. Well worth the cost as a special treat. Restaurant had a great view of the setting sun over the ocean. Restaurant is perched on a cliff overlooking the sea. Watched the waves crash onto the rocks. After the sun sets the flood lights come on to light up the view of the surf.What memories! About 15 years ago, I taught several short courses at the Naval PG School in Monterey. On one of the trips out there, I took my wife, and we went to Big Sur and Rocky Point Restaurant. Wonderful place, just as Wayne describes. We lingered over dinner, and finally came out of the restaurant about 11:30 PM - only to discover that we had locked the keys in the rental car. The restaurant staff found me a wire coathanger, but I was unable to get in. A locksmith said he would come out in the morning for $250. It was getting seriously cold, the restaurant was closing, and it was really dark. Finally I grabbed a rock and bashed in a rear side-window, which looked to be the least expensive one on the car. We got back to the hotel, got a goods night's sleep - and paid $300 the next day to have the window replaced. But you know what? This was such a magic place that our memories of the ocean and the restaurant far overshadow the car debacle. Everything Wayne describes is true. I would go there again in a heartbeat. And now, with a TM instead of a hotel, it would be even better.

Bill

rickst29
03-29-2007, 04:30 PM
Hey Bill, my brother's been on the staff at NPGS (civilian instructor) for MANY years. Last August, he moved up to Stanford on a no-teaching Fellowship position.

Rocky Point restaurant ??? Great view, really poor food and service. Pop ordered some fancy stuff, which put him in the price range of some really nice places, such as:

http://www.ventanainn.com/dining_themenu.asp

And BTW, that picture at the top left was taken from the outdoor dining patio, I've had lunch with EXACTLY that view.

After the tip, this place (across the street) would be about $250 for Dinner... but they probably make a great $15 sandwich for lunch:
http://www.postranchinn.com/index.shtml

Both offer roughly equal views, MUCH better food. Ventana apparently has a campground, new since I've stayed there under "resort" conditions.

Denny_A
03-29-2007, 08:33 PM
What memories! About 15 years ago, I taught several short courses at the Naval PG School in Monterey. On one of the trips out there, I took my wife, and we went to Big Sur and Rocky Point Restaurant. Wonderful place, just as Wayne describes. ..........snip.......
Everything Wayne describes is true. I would go there again in a heartbeat. And now, with a TM instead of a hotel, it would be even better.

BillSmall world, indeed. I spent 2 yrs ('72-'73) at NPGS Monterey, studying for my Masters. The kids were very young. We backpacked in the Ventana Wilderness regulalry (as my studies permitted). My son returned to the Monterey/Pacific Grove area after he finished college and married. He is an artist, and his wife was a manager at the Lodge at (The) Pebble Beach. So, we had a great excuse to travel there regularly before I retired. I love the Monterey Peninsula...just couldn't afford to retire there.

The Big Sur Marathon starts at The Julia Pfeiffer State Park. I ran it twice during my competitive years. There is no course in the USA as beautiful and as scenic as the Big Sur Marathon from Pfeiffer SP to Carmel. The "IN" restaurant near the SP was "Nepenthe".

There are many great restaurants on the Peninsula. Rivaling even San Francisco, methinks. Absolute heaven for winos (Zinfandel rocks) like me!:D

Denny_A