PDA

View Full Version : High wind problem??

07-28-2001, 04:20 AM
I do not own a TrailManor but am thinking of purchasing one. Are there any problems with high wind while parked? I am interested because of the light weight of the trailer.

Paul_Heuvelhorst
07-28-2001, 09:46 AM
Doug,
The lightness of the trailer is a distinct advantage for towing.  The trailer is not affected by wind while you are set up... although, we've never set up in a flat, dry, barren landscape where the trailer may be the highest object on the terrain.

You will notice wind vibrations on the set up trailer if you put the awning up and attach the support legs to the side of the trailer.  The awning will act like a sail and shake the trailer.  To reduce this possibility (1) close the awning if it gets windy, or (2) obtain 2 tie-downs attached to stakes in the ground and put the legs on the ground rather than the trailer.  We did that 90% of the time we used our awning and although the wind blew, the trailer didn't vibrate.

A trailer that weighs over 2500# is not going to be affected much by the wind.  Don't let this issue be a deterent that prevents you from buying one of the best designed trailers in the RV business.

07-29-2001, 02:25 PM
Have spent over 65 nights in our 3124 with no problems and never had to take down the awning.  Have had an inch of rain in 1 hour and not a drop of water inside. :)

Chris
07-29-2001, 02:56 PM
New Mexico is famous for our high winds in the spring and early summer  ;D.  I never had any issue.  I did take down the awning a time or two to ensure that it didn't rip off..  Never had an issue with rain, winds, anything from a weather standpoint.
Ct..

07-30-2001, 04:30 AM
Doug,

I just spent Friday night camped at Sherman Island near Rio Vista, CA. This is a windsurfing mecca and the wind was howling near 25 mph all night long. While I noticed some sway during the big gusts, I would think almost any trailer would sway somewhat. I wouldn't let this concern deter you from making this purchase.

Chris
Oakland, CA

07-31-2001, 03:56 PM
Two weeks ago we purchased our new 27/20. I looked and studied them for almost a year.  Last summer at a dealership in Illinois I had the opportunity to put one up and folded it back down in a 45 to 50 mph wind.  It was very gusty that day.  I still cannot belive how well it behaved.  

When we were in it you could hardly tell it was blowing so badly outside! Solid as a rock!

We are extremely happy with our TM.  I tow it with a Toyota Sienna mini van.  I am not one to like to be in anyone's way and we do move when we tow  (60+ on conventional roads and 70+ on interstates).  No problems, in fact it really does tow easier than our 2000 Palomino fold down did. We commented this weekend that we hardly know its there!

Best of luck with your purchase.  I wouldn't be overly concerned about wind.

aschuster

08-19-2001, 09:28 AM
been out three times and each time we encountered high winds and lots of rain....dry as a bone and only one minor problem....fuse blew in the toilet. changed from 5amp to 10amp works great!

RickNewcomb
08-20-2001, 12:49 AM
Paul,

Changing the fuse from 5 to 10 amps. May not be such a good thing. The amperage of the fuse used in a circuit is designed so that the fuse will blow (hopefully) before any damage or significant damage is done to the electrical or electronic system.

Fuses usually blow for three reasons; age, defective fuse, or a problem. If you replaced the original fuse with a 5 amp fuse and it continues to blow, you may have a real problem which you will mask by using the 10 amp fuse.

Good luck

08-20-2001, 07:09 AM
thanks, rick for your feedback. i too was concerned about going up to 10amp, but that was the recommendation from techincal support at trailmanor i.e., jimmy davis.

still excited about the unit :D

08-22-2001, 03:56 AM
Thanks to everyone who has replied to my post. I stopped worrying, sold my motorhome, and bought a used 3326K last week.  :D
It now sits if front of the house and, yes, it does seem very stable. Am very happy with it.
Thanks again.
Doug