PDA

View Full Version : Last TM trip

edweidig
11-05-2006, 10:35 AM
Here are some pics from my final TM trip. As much as I like the TM I have decided to do some serious traveling in the next few years so I traded up to a 5er. And since I had only purchased my 2006 TM in March this year, Russ at ExploreUSA in Kyle worked with me to get a really decent deal on the trade.

Anyway, my last trip was to Louisiana and Alabama for some intense Cajun/Zydeco dancing. I spent four days in Lafayette, LA dancing and touring around the area. Lots to see there, a great place to visit. From there I stopped overnight in Biloxi, MS at Keesler AFB famcamp. It was full, but they had power in the overflow area. On to Maxwell AFB famcamp in Montgomery, AL for two nights, again in the overflow area, power only the first night, water too the second.

From there I went to DeSoto State Park, AL. It's a beautiful park in the northeast corner of Alabama. I'd recommend a visit if you're anywhere near. About 60 miles from Chattanooga. The dance festival was held there in the park at a girl scout camp. The gym was our dance floor. It was a great three day event. I spent four days at the campground. (Golden Age pass accepted).

Leaving there I spent one night at Lake Altoona army famcamp in north Georgia. From there down to Macon to visit an old Air Force buddy for a couple days. Couldn't get in to Robins AFB famcamp, but they recommended a place close by that was reasonably priced.

Leaving GA I backtracked to Biloxi for one more night, and then back to Lafayette for another three day weekend of Zydeco. We danced in a park, stomped up great clouds of dust, but managed to wash the dust out of our throats with copius amounts of beer. (Just kidding, when I do drink beer anymore it's the alcohol free type). It was fun, even though we got rained out Sunday afternoon. Not quite ready to give up yet a bunch of us went to Angell's Whiskey River in Henderson, about 15 miles down the road, to satisfy our dancing addiction.

Monday when I got ready to leave it was raining hard and windy. It was a real test of keeping the inside dry while shutting down. As advertised, everything stayed dry. I have set up and taken down in rain before, but not a driving rain like this was. Then, since it was no fun driving with a constant 25 - 35mph side wind even with the low profile of the TM, I quit and spent the night at my son's just north of Houston. Finally got back to Austin Tuesday, two weeks and four days from the start.

I'll probably not be making any more posts to this forum, but I'll drop in every now-and-then just to poke around and see what's happening. The TM is a great product and served its purpose well. I'm just at a point where I need more room.

fcatwo
11-05-2006, 06:33 PM
IMO moderate sized 5th-wheel trailers are an excellent choice for new retirees who plan to spend considerable time on the road and have an appropriate TV that they don't have to use for longish daily commutes. The beauty of a TM, on the other hand, is that they are easier to store and can be towed with many relatively fuel efficient daily drivers without worring about sway and other bad things -- under normal circumstances. I'm glad to see that you took your financial hit and moved on to the 5th wheel before starting to resent the TM.

There are a lot of RV options and it's just a matter of picking the right one -- either on your first try or a second.

B_and_D
11-05-2006, 06:54 PM
I'm glad that you enjoyed your TM and had some happy camping trips in it. Sounds like your farewell trip was one to remember! Those are some nice pictures; looks like some places we'd like to visit. This is such a big country, and there are so many great places to visit and camp.

Thanks for posting and many happy trails to you in your new fifth-wheel! I hope that it works out well for you.

And "Thank You" for your service to our country!

Dee

PS it woud be fun to see pictures of the new rig when you get it home!