PDA

View Full Version : Trailmanor bedroom ventilation question/survey

07-28-2001, 10:03 AM
On the previous discussion board, there was a thread that discussed the A/C overhead and how noisy that it is, etc.

Not yet being a TM owner, the thread made me wonder how the cross flow ventilation is in the bedroom with the windows open ... say, for instance dry camping with no hookups available. (my concern is on the 3124K, but probably applies to all TM models)?

Thanks,
Bill

07-29-2001, 03:22 AM
In upstate New York, we hadn't used the AC in our 3023 very much during our first year of ownership.  As long as we have quiet neighbors, I prefer to open the end windows and a couple of the vents.

Usually that's enough for a cool breeze.  If the air needs an assist, I turn on the roof vent fan and strategically open the window(s) I want the cool air to enter from.

Our trip to Fort Wildnerness earlier this month was the first time we really needed the AC.  90+ degrees and 102% humdity!.  Although it was noisy in the rear bed, the entire trailer was kept comfortably cool.  That poor AC unit ran for 12 days virtually non-stop at its maximum cooling setting.  Absolutely no complaints there!

I also learned why I saw mold on the trailer in certain unique locations- the AC dumps the condensate onto the roof and it drains from the roof near the door, and over the right rear tailight.

08-05-2001, 02:33 PM
Bill:

Personally, I don't mind the a/c noise in my trailer. I thought it would bother me, but it doesn't. Much quitier than a window unit I had in an apartment I used to rent. Besides, I like it nice and cold when I sleep.

About the a/c drain,,, I keep a good coat of wax on that section of the roof, (keeps it slick), and just raise the front of my trailer a smiggen, and all the water runs off the back. It doesn't take much.

Mack

08-07-2001, 01:34 AM
I also wondered how the roof a/c noise would be in the rear bed but it hasn't bothered us as much as I feared.  In fact, we have run the fan in noisy campgrounds just to drown out the outside noise even when the a/c wasn't needed.  We have found that the unit does an excellent job of cooling the entire TM.  My wife and daughter spen a week in Destin, FL, in July and ran the unit the entire time.  No problems or complaints--just check the filter occasionally!  Don't eliminate the TM from consideration because of concern for the a/c noise issue.

08-21-2001, 01:43 PM
Regarding ventilation in rear bedroom while dry camping, I agree with Dan, turn on the roof vent fan and open either bedroom window or both to create the air movement you need.

I didn't order a roof vent fan when I purchased my TM, but saw a need for it when I dry camped.  Therefore, I retrofit a MAXAIR Turbomax unit to my 2720sl this year.  This enhancement required building a frame around the existing vent support, which was siliconed to the roof and sealed to avoid standing water, and 2) modifying the vent screen, by removing one of the 2 - 12 volt lamps, to house the controls.  If I say so myself, it looks quite professional.  The unit itself is thermostatically controlled, variable speed unit (from whisper quiet breezes to near hurricane air movement - perhaps a little exaggerated), with a toggle switch for exhaust and intake modes, as well as, turning the fan off.  Also, the vent can be left open during rain, so you can take the kids or grand children to the beach 20 miles away and have peace of mind that nothing is going to get wet.  No more heat build up.  The unit works great.

By yourself a good generator and any ventilation problems one might have are gone.  Of course, if it's too hot and humid, it's best to find some electricity for the air conditioner.

Happy Trails..................George

08-22-2001, 04:17 AM
Just got a 3326King and camped in it with and with out hook-ups.

The AC made the normal amount of noise for an AC but it did not bother the kids or me and it worked very well.

We camped in a Wal-mart parking lot in Florida on August 26th when I guessed the night time temp would drop into the 70's. The cross draft was very good with the three windows open. it should be very good for dry camping/boondocking when warm.
Doug