PDA

View Full Version : Dust Issue

07-31-2001, 03:47 PM
My wife and I camp regularly in the state parks.  Many of them have gravel entry roads rather than paved surfaces.  While the roads are generally in good shape and easy to maneavor, a great deal of sand and dust is lifted from the roads by our tow vehicle.  The result, is always a lot of cleaning required inside the TM after we setup camp.  Has anyone else dealt with this issue and have you found a solution?  I have inspected the seals and find nothing that looks out of the ordinary.  Perhaps this is a problem we just have to live with.  

Paul_Heuvelhorst
07-31-2001, 05:46 PM
Ed,
Your experience is completely the opposite of our 3-yr experience with our 1998 2619.  Are you sure all the windows are closed?  

Have you had a tire blow-out?  We did once and the tire tore up the inside wheel well.  We had debris from the tire and road throughout the inside of the cabinets and all over the floor from that experience.  Some other TM owners have come up with at method to modify the wheel well to prevent this from happening if the tire blows.  Check your wheel wells for integrity.

Hopefully, others may have other suggestions for you if they've had similar experiences to yours.

Happy travels.

08-01-2001, 02:00 AM
I think Paul may be on target--even if you haven't had a blow out.  I discovered that one of my wheel wells was not completely sealed after driving through a serious thunderstorm.  The wheel had thrown surface water into the cabinet over the wheel well.  So that could be a source of dust entering the TM.  Otherwise, I've never had a problem with dust, trash or water entering the trailer

08-01-2001, 11:26 PM
We have a 3124kb.  The caulking job around the wheel wells, before, and aft, was poor.  You could see daylight.  We recaulked all of these, but continue to have a lot of dirt on the outside bathroom wall, and street side back bedroom wall.  Windows are closed, haven't blown a tire.  Can't figure out how to stop it either.  The seals look ok.

08-02-2001, 10:50 AM
Thanks guys for the comments.  I will check the wheel well  and caulking.  No I have not had a blowout and the windows are always closed.  Go figure.

08-28-2001, 01:56 PM
The engineer in me says that the dust is in the air; the trailer is not air-tight, ergo dust gets into the trailer. The same is true if it is a humid day; the humid air gets into the trailer. Not much you can practically do about the dust except to travel when the roads are wet to minimize the dust. The expensive answer it to pressurize the inside of the trailer with clean air which, of course, is beyond the scope of virtually all of us.

Dick B