PDA

View Full Version : Mt. Nebo Arkansas area info?

gjc-99
10-09-2006, 07:51 AM
We are planning a trip to Mt. Nebo state park in late October. We would appreciate any info, experiences, things to do, and 'not to miss' items for this area and northwest/north-central Arkansas.
Thanks!

wbmiller3
10-09-2006, 03:50 PM
Went there years ago with a small popup. It's a steep climb and a sharp turn up into the park. Might want to check what their trailer size limits are.

Beautiful place, though.

Magdefrau
10-09-2006, 04:56 PM
Mount Nebo is truely one of many wonderful State Parks in Arkansas. It is a steep winding road to the top. The curves are very tight. Deep gouges are seen in the road. I wonder how many folks have tried to make it up this pig trail and back down again just to dammage their riggs. Really.....this is a tent camp spot only. I want folks to know that Petti-Jean Mountain State Park is not that far away and will give just as good a view with better road conditions. A early morning or late evening trip to Mount Nebo to see the sun sets/rise would be a good outing from Petti-Jean. This is what my fanily and I have done. I want yall to know this little thing, DO NOT DRIVE YOUR TM UP THIS STEEP WINDING MT. NEBO ROAD. Go up first in your TV. Maybe I'm wrong for saying this but I cannot be a friend and not print this. I hope to go to Petti Jean this October 19,20,21. This is a nice fall camp out. Hiking trails and family fun is want is in store. A wondering day trip around this part of Arkansas can be an adventure. Not very populated. But very country.

2manypets
10-10-2006, 11:54 AM
I have to agree. The road up to the top of Mt. Nebo is one gnarly stretch of highway. I think the sign at the top says the grade is 17%. And the swithbacks are very tight. My dad drove a school bus load of kids there once on a field trip. He said that he had to back the bus up a couple times to get around some of the curves. IIRC the max length for a trailer is 28 feet. But I wouldn’t try it.

Magdefrau maybe I'll see you at Petit Jean. We'll be there that weekend too.

2manypets
10-10-2006, 03:52 PM
OK. I was wrong it's 18%. I actually found a picture someone had posted.

Magdefrau
10-15-2006, 07:37 PM
Looks like wife is wanting to travel to Missouri the see fall color this next week. So, Petti-Jean is out. A place called HaHa Tonka and Lake of the Ozark State Park. Plans change fast around here. There are so many places to go here in the Ozarks we have never been able to go to the same place often. I suppose I am lucky to have work here, but, anywhere here in these United States is filled with wonderful places to go camping, we are blessed.
Thanksgiven is coming up maybe we could do Petti-Jean then and have the family come to the camp site for an out door Thanksgiven dinner. I bet the kids would like that. If I cook bet the wife would go for that.

2manypets
10-30-2006, 08:00 AM
We drove over to Mt. Nebo this weekend to hike in the park. It's less than an hour away for us. We haven't been there for a couple of years and I had forgotten how beautiful it is up there. Especially with the leaves turning. Anyway the maximum allowed trailer length is 24 ft. not 28 ft. as I had thought earlier. I noticed lots of gouges in the pavement where bumpers had been dragged as we drove up. Man that road is steep!

rlr001
01-30-2007, 05:38 PM
Stayed at one of their cabins once. Very nice, well taken care of. In the morning some guys began to hang glide off the mountain, it was facinating to watch. Very quiet area.