PDA

View Full Version : confused in texas...

2swans
10-03-2001, 02:04 AM
we're beginning to wonder if owning a TM is a lot like owning a volkswagen camper--great concept--but too many problems to deal with. we have had much experience with the latter--and here we are considering a TM. we are in process of selling our VW camper--and were looking to buy a TM --there are two for sale in our town. one is a '96 2519(7500.00) and one is a '98 2720sl(8500.00). both are in like new cosmetic cond.  as i asked in an earlier thread, the 2720sl has obviously been stored in tremendous heat. the inner slide wall looks warped from the inside--is this a major prob? and would great heat mean even more problems with things like seals on toilet, appliances, etc? we really need the input of you TM owners out there before making another camper mistake. we are slow learners--it took us three VW campers before we got the message--great concept--too many probs. thanks in advance.  we really like the 2720sl--give us hope if you can!

2swans
10-03-2001, 02:08 AM
oh, i forgot to mention--the 2720sl is being sold on consignment by a dealer here for a couple in the next state(NM). so i doubt they would want to go over every system--they have a dislike for the TM, and have had it on their lot for over a year. it has been marked down three times. prov. because people are afraid of the 1"  gap they see between the two inner walls.

10-03-2001, 03:19 AM
Before you buy that 2720SL, I would suggest you call the factory about the gap in the side. They are really nice people, and I'm sure would tell you what you are getting into.

About the problems with TrailManors,,, I have never had the first problem with mine. (yet). Maybe I'm just lucky, I don't know. However, in my opinion, no camper or travel trailer will be "perfect", or trouble free. (what is?)

I can see where a TrailManor would be hard to sell, a person can buy a fancier conventional travel trailer for a lot less. It is a personal matter if the TrailManor's ability to fold up, and it's light weight, is worth the trade-offs. If you perfer fancy and convenace, odds are you won't be happy with a TrailManor. If you perfer low profile, light weight, and easy towing, (while still keeping most, but not all, of the benifits of a travel trailer), then you might like one. Personally, I wanted a good size trailer that I could tow with what I had, (I did NOT want to buy a new truck to tow it with), not break my wallet at the gas pump, and be able to fit in my garage. For that, the TrailManor fit the bill just fine. But again, that's just me, to each their own.

Good Luck on your choice. Even if you do decide on a TrailManor, call the factory about that gap before you buy. Don't wait until it is too late.

Mack

10-03-2001, 04:09 AM
I can understand why you would be hesitant on purchasing a TM. I am a new owner myself, and although I love it dearly, it can be a pain in the a@@, more so than a conventional trailer. Obviously, do to the articulating shells, there are more moving parts on a TM than a conventional trailer. That said, I find alignment being a problem. I have only used it a few times (it is a 1999 and I did buy it used) and already I notice myself having to push, pull, and prod things into place when setting up. I also have a small gap (I own a 3124, much like the 2720sl, just bigger) in the slide out living area, but not as large as the one you are talking about, and I haven't worried about it yet. There is probably more upkeep on a TM than a conventional TT, however, like the previous post says, it all depends on what you want. I wanted a huge trailer that I could tow with my Xterra. There is no way I could tow a conventional 31' TT with my truck, however, the TM it is a breeze to tow (tows better than my 8' starcraft pop-up I owned prior), and when you get it set up (which really isn't much), it does offer a lot of room. I've never had a VW camper (although I always wanted one), so I can't really compare, but, if you don't want to be bothered with a little extra maintenance and you can tow a conventional, you may want to go that route. But if you like the idea of a comfortable light-weight, easy towing trailer, then the TM is the ONLY way to go. There is no other trailer on the market that has the comfort of a 31' trailer (in my case 3124KS), and a dry weight of 3000lbs. NONE. That is why I went with the TM. I will say, I am a bit nervous since I don't know how to maintain everything yet, but so far I have had no major problems, and am encouraged by the owners on this site. TM's also seem to hold up over the years - so I keep the faith.

Best of Luck. Let us know what you decide.

Take Care.

Chris_Bauer
10-03-2001, 04:32 AM
I think it is a good idea to check with the factory first. It may turn out to be a good buy taking into consideration any work that may have to be done. There are three dealers in South Texas, Camper Clinic Rockport, Camper Clinic Buda, and Cyress Springs in Tomball (near Houston).

We bought ours new in January and use it a lot (too bad we didn't know about this used one).  I think the only time I have had any trouble with things fitting together was when I wasn't on level ground.  I think for the technology, practicality, good use of space, unbeatable fuel economy, no need to change tow vehicles, it is the greatest thing on the road.  The downside could be the setup time, but I have seen conventional trailers which require just about equal time, and well, I guess that's the only downside.  For us, it is the greatest thing on wheels and we have used it in snow, freezing cold, humid Texas heat and it works great.  I also think if you are a nature lover you can have the outdoors with less destruction to the environment, uses less water, less tow vehicle, less fuel ..............

2swans
10-03-2001, 05:10 AM
thank you thank you thank you. your suggestions to call the factory worked. a man there told me the simple fix for the warped wall problem. will share it if any are interested. he said it was not due to heat. and that even if the TM had been stored in intense heat that would not affect the appliances, seals, etc. and i feel more confident about buying this unit now, thanks to all of you who responded. chris, your idea of simplified outdoor trailering is appealing to us also. thanks everyone--gotta hurry up and sell that VW!!

10-03-2001, 07:38 AM
I would be interested in the fix, since I have a small gap as well. Thanks.

10-03-2001, 09:16 AM
i know am a little late on this thread, but i am a new owner (july, new model picked-up at the factory) and i was pleased with the support provided by the factory people,espeically jimmy davis.

my dw always remindes that nothing is trouble free. trailering has always been a dream for me and i am loving ever minute of it.

10-03-2001, 01:15 PM
I too am intersted in what the factory recommended for the warped walls and the fix for the gap in the trailor.  I have been reading this group for a while now, and this is the first real problem I've come across for the trailmanor.  (I don't own one yet.  Maybe soon, I hope.)