PDA

View Full Version : GY Marathons on a '98 TM...??

2swans
10-31-2001, 04:28 AM
???
hi. just talked to jimmy davis at TM factory re: putting the best tires on a used 98 2720 TM. based on threads from this site, i said we wanted to put goodyear marathons on the '98. he said the factory was using goodyears now, but he tho't that a marathon would not fit on a 98 2720sl. i tried to call parts, and couldn't get anyone.

DOES ANYONE KNOW THE BEST TIRE TO PUT ON A 98 2720SL??

is it better to get,say, a 99 model--do marathons fit on this model? we are deciding between the 98 and 99, and had just picked the 98 when we learned the tires you all think are good won't fit.  thanks for any help,--i know you're probably TIREd of tire questions!

Chris_Bauer
10-31-2001, 10:01 AM
We are heading to San Antonio tomorrow. Will cross the border to pickup the TM and will tell you exactly what tires came with our new 2001. They are Goodyear but I don't know the specifics. Will write when we arrive there on Friday. Will go fishing first at Three Rivers.

Have a safe weekend.

10-31-2001, 10:06 AM
Goodyear offers several Marathons in a 14 inch tire.
They appear to offer two sizes.
ST205/75R14  BSL  1,760  (weight capacity)
ST215/75R14  BSL  1,870  
It would appear that the 215/75R14 would meet the needs of the fully loaded 2720SL. What size comes on the trailer?  

Paul_Heuvelhorst
10-31-2001, 03:12 PM
Why would you consider buying a trailer because of the brand tires on it? ??? Is that the way you buy cars or tow vehicles? I learned many years ago that there are good tires and poor tires out there... buy the best tire that fits your needs. There are many good quality trailer tires out there... do your research. :P

2swans
11-01-2001, 02:58 AM
thanks for the help everyone. we just know that the tires on the TM now are some off-brand and one is blistered. being the good student of this board that i am, i have read ALL of the tire threads on it, and know that many  of you tho't the GY Marathons(or a truck tire) were the best way to go. since we aren't sure about truck tires, we had decided to go with the GY's. we have comitted to buy this 98 2720sl, and she is now at the dealer's(not a TM dealer, but an RV dealer who used to be a TM dealer) being checked over. our sale depends on everything being ok, like most sales. but WE are going to change the tires ourselves after the sale is over, and we have the TM in our possession.
things got a little confusing, however, when i called the factory to find out what size Marathons to buy when we get the TM. because i inderstood jimmy davis to say he didn't think marathons would fit on a 98 model, that left me wondering what dependable tire WOULD work. or i tho't maybe the 98 was not a good year model to buy if it wouldn't take marathons. meanwhile, i ran to our friends on this board for help--and, not surprisingly, you were there--
since i wrote to your board i have  called jimmy again(yesterday)at the factory again, and he says i misunderstood him--that he didn't say a marathon wouldn't fit on a 98. he said the the GY Marathon ST 205/75/14 is the way to go. one of you mentioned the 215--that sounds even better load-wise. i hope that one will fit, but i don't know. guess we'd better stick with the 205 since that is factory recommendation.if any of you know that the 215's work and will fit in the 14" size i would appreciate hearing that.  thanks for all your help.chris, i'll bet your 2720sl has marathons on it-205/75/14--anyway. have a great time fishing.

2swans (closing our sale on the VW camper monday--hopefully--then closing our sale on the TM Thursday week. keeping our fingers crossed!)

11-05-2001, 12:01 PM
Because of the Dexter swing axle, most TrailManors, along with other users of this axle, will not accept a tire any larger that the original factory size tire.  We had the same thing on a Jayco.  There is usually only about 1/2 inch of clearance at the back of the frame of the wheel well.  Same thing if you ever buy a spare wheel.  Should be the same width as the factory installed.