PDA

View Full Version : Dry Camping

11-03-2001, 02:24 AM
We are very new to camping and we are trying to learn the ropes.  After you dry camp your tanks needs to be dumped, can you just stop at any open campground and dump?  We don't want to go dry camping and then get stuck with full tanks.  So what do you do, where do you go?  

11-03-2001, 07:52 AM
Most campgrounds will let you use their dump station for a nominal fee - say 3$ to $5. I've never been turned down at a State Campground and rarely at those that are privately owned: it's revenue.

hal
11-03-2001, 12:17 PM
Susan,

You have touched on a dilema that we all have.  Huge RVs have to eventually face this task even with their larger holding tanks.  We face this  situation sooner because of the relatively small storage capacity in our TrailManors.

First of all, please let me remind you that the TrailManor is a step up from a Canvas type pop top trailer.  Yes the luxuries seem grandiose when you make the move upward to a TrailManor, but there are limitations.  Among them are those that show their head when the capacities are reached sooner than you would wish.

First of all, conservation of space for gray and black water.  After a couple campouts, you will begin to understand just how long you can go before your tanks are full.  In our case, with just the two of us (plus a cat and a small dog), we can go about three days before there is a need to empty the tanks.  (I am thinking about leaving the cat and dog at home so that we might stretch it to four days.)  We usually camp for about three days so we are ready to hook up our trailer and head for a dump site and then home.  Our use is pretty much unlimited.  We use the terlit as needed and run the water in the sinks sparingly.  

I have heard of people that are not so fortunate.  So they use the terlit only for those middle of the night needs when the trip up the hill is more inconvenient.  During the day, they use the Privies Provided by the Park.  

Now, what to do about your gray and black water.
1- seldom is it practical or sanitary to just dump it on the ground away from the trailer.  How would you like to take a hike and only a few feet from your trailer step into a quagmire that covers your tennies?  I have heard of some private campgounds that instruct you to drive further out into the field and dump.  This provides a great venture when your kids return to your trailer with the most awful smelly mud clinging to their shoes.  Or how about when your dog decides to roll in it?  I think that most county regulations prohibit such  a method to dispose of gray or black water.

2- Many campers carry a special container to drain foul fluids into.  The smallest size hold about ten gallons and they go up a size for a family or two elephants.  Just remember when selecting one that the larger the quantity, the heavier the container will be when filled.  Someone has to be able to lift it into trunk of a car or onto a tailgate.

3- ask around the camp as to where people are dumping.  Sometimes private campgrounds will allow you to use their dump for a fee, ranging from $5.00 to $15.00.  Being that you have both gray and black water, your drain container might not be large enough.  You can possibly get through another day by draining only enough to fill the container.  I have heard of people allowing some of the black water to drain down and fill the drain tube.  This can get you by for a short spell.  Just remember to not open the main gate valve on the outerside of the trailer or you could be in for a surprise.

Most state and Federal campgrounds have dump sites.  You do have to pay an admission fee to “drive through” the campground.  While on your way through, visit the dump site. They really don’t care.  It is for the use of people visiting the campground. Some states offer inexpensive passes to their campground.  They negate the entrance fee.  If you are a senior citizen, you might buy one of these passes.  Then you can enter the campground at no cost and then do your thing at the dump site.  Of course this fee does not include a camp site.

HS

Stay tuned for Part II :-[

hal
11-03-2001, 12:18 PM
Part II

Some states have roadside dump sites, Kansas for one.  Some truck stops have them.  Some are free as an incentive to the traveler to stop for gas and groceries. The important thing is to realize the weight of full storage tanks and the extra cost in gasoline and mileage while carting it across the country.  Sometimes, it is better to dump when you can even if you pay a bit more.  This also allows one to recharge the terlit and make it ready for that moment of need when the trailer is set up for the night.  You will never experience an urgency like the one when you are waiting for the trailer to be set up so you can pay your respects to the terlit.  Somehow the trailer does not go up fast enough in these emergencies.  (See section on laundering clothes)  :>(

Dumping in most outdoor privies is against the rules of many state and federal campgrounds.  I have been told that the chemicals in your trailer’s system kills the action in the terlit.  Also, black water when pumped out of the terlit has to be disposed of by special means.  Something to do with the EPA.

I am sure that you are aware of the trailer camps that have “full hookups”  This usually means  that a means of direct dumping into a sewer piple is included.  Sometimes this type campground is a good place to stop, say for the third night.  You can then dump and freshen up your system.

Some dump sites require that you have a “donut”  This is a cone shaped piece of sponge rubber that goes over the end of your hose that you stick in the hole.  Its purpose is to create a seal and thus prevent blow back or sewer gasses from escaping.  There is nothing as unpleasant as peacefully relaxing by counting the stars and to breathe a very strong odor which is coming from someone’s sewer hook up.  If you don’t have one of these, get one.  They are only a few dollars.  Or you can wait until you are at a campgound that requires them and you can pay many times more for it because of your need.

So, what do you do?  Try to find a travel book or map that lists the dump sites.  Ask around about the nearest dump site.  Sometimes the nearest dump site can be twenty miles or more away.  If you are staying more days than your storage tanks can take, use your terlit sparingly.  After one or two times of camping, you will begin to get a feel for how to use your toilet.  Again, remember that your TrailManor is really just a step above the tent trailer in which you had to find a fat tree.  You do have many conveniences not found in a tent trailer, but there are limitations to them.  Somehow,  by rationing, you will get through it and learn just what the limitations are.  Me, .... I think that the cat has to go.

hs
:-[ :-[

Paul_Heuvelhorst
11-04-2001, 03:20 PM
Hal offered several good suggestions... I'll add a couple more that we've used on several occasions, Flying J has free RV dump stations and I understand that other truck stops do, too, altho' Flying J is the only one I've ever used.

We used a KOA near our previous home a couple of times, too, at $5 a pop, not bad when you need to clean the tank before pulling into your driveway.

Chris_Bauer
11-05-2001, 02:45 AM
We just returned from a three-day weekend (Rio Grande Valley to San Antonio).  I got on the internet and searched for RV dump stations in Texas.  Quite an impressive list.  Beware!!!!! :o This is the second trip where I have relied on that list and out of three choices on 281 South they have either closed or never existed.

Fortunately, we stopped at one of the hundreds of snowbird RV parks in RGV and to our surprise they let us use there station at no charge.  

So now, this has become my crusade. Find a decent reliable list of RV dump stations in Texas.  I am going to personally call the ones on my route before our next trip.

Remember, dumping your tanks on the ground is considered hazardous waste.  In California I have heard of a $60,000 fine to clean up the mess from one RV.  Don't know how accurate that is but it is enough for me to "hold my tanks" until I find an authorized station.

11-05-2001, 03:11 PM
Our (very) limited experience finding a dumping station is limited to a quick search in the local Woodall's guide and paying the few $$ fee at a nearby RV site on the way home after a dry trip.

We scoped out a few of the larger filling stations -- you know the ones located in the "sea of filling stations" located at some desolate interchange in the middle of nowhere -- and some of those also had RV dumps.  A couple were unacceptable (ahem, "under water").  But they exist.  Flying J is camper friendly, too, if you're near one.

So far, for our local trips in AZ, Woodall's has been accurate with the RV site descriptions.