PDA

View Full Version : Storm Windows

Chris_Bauer
11-26-2001, 01:48 AM
I have been doing some research for storm windows on the TM.  Today I read a post on "RVERS UNDER 55" ( a Yahoo Club).  The person recommended a site called, "Window Savers Company".  In short, they manufacture a magnetic strip which can be mounted to the frame of the window and a plexiglass or acrylic sheet cut to fit the window with a magnetic strip to adhere to the frame..  Supposedly they snap on and off.  

RVing in South Texas in can get pretty hot in the summer and a tad bit cold in the winter.  Below is the site and I would appreciate any comments or suggestions other than this that anyone might have.

One of my concerns is that the magnetic strip on both the window frame and the storm window are thick enough to pass over the window latch.

http://www.windowsaver.com/magstorm.html

Thanks in advance for any advice. ???

Larry_Loo
11-28-2001, 11:23 AM
Chris,
I've read before about these storm windows that are fashioned by attaching a sheet of plastic over the insides of windows with magnets. Their principal application is for the insulating of windows in homes and buildings. The interior sheet of plastic is supposed to be one solid sheet that covers the entire window. The plastic sheets are not intended to be fitted over the individual panels since the additional thickness of even thin steel strips would interfere with the sliding action of the panels. It appears to me that it would be difficult to put storm windows of this type over the insides of TM windows because of the curtains and their tracks that are fitted very closely over the windows - due to the narrow annular space between the inner and outer shells of the trailer. You might consider removing the curtains and their tracks and attaching the steel strips in a rectangular ring around the margin of a window. Your storm window would then have to be a Lucite or Lexan sheet of this shape with a thicker margin so that the plastic sheet will clear the protruding window frame. That is, there would have to be a gasket under the magnet to build up the thickness of the rim of the sheet. Or, you could attach the steel strips in a rectangle around the margins of the curtains and place an even larger plastic sheet over it. Neither of these two options may be esthetically pleasing, however. There is nothing, however, to prevent you from putting the storm windows over the outsides of the windows. If you attach the steel strips so that they follow closely around the outside contour of a window, it may not look bad. Unless the steel strips were rustproof, however, rusting and future unsightliness would be an undesirable thing to look forward to.

I myself have resigned myself to wiping the condensation off the inside surfaces of the windows on each cold morning. ???