PDA

View Full Version : WHEEL WELL MODIFICATIONS

10-28-2001, 12:09 PM
JUST PURCHASED A 1998 3023! WHILE TOWING IT HOME 600 MILES A TIRE BLEW AND DESTROYRD THE WHEEL WELL. (A cARLILE TIRE. JUST REPLACED WITH G.Y. MARATHON) I SEE PEOPLE TALKING ABOUT THE WHEEL WELL MODIFICATION, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT IT IS. I ORDERED A NEW WHEEL WELL FROM T.M. DO THEY SEND OUT THE MODIFICATION? ALL HELP AND TIPS GREATLY WELCOMED.

RickNewcomb
10-29-2001, 12:13 AM
On John Irwin's webpage, he gives directions and has pictures of the wheel wheel modification. You can check it out at:

http://irwin.home.texas.net/HomePage/Wheelwellsx.html

11-17-2001, 12:43 AM
Rick,

I just finished the wheel well modification and followed Jack and Vivian's excellent description in Irwin's website. I used about 4 cans of `Great Stuff' foam sealant which will harden as required. (about $3.50 per) You might want to have a couple more on hand just in case. Be sure to apply a `thin' layer of foam each time to allow it access to the air to fully cure. I layed one layer on too think one time and the middle of the foam was still uncured two days later. You need to allow the foam about 8 hours to fully expand and cure before you add the next layer. For this reason assume this job will take about four days.
I used two one piece sheet metal pieces and found that a 36 inch long piece, 10.5 inches wide will fit the well of my 2619 nicely and follow the curve of the tire. I'm not sure the well is the same size for your trailer. As described, add tabs to the sheet metal to affix it to the existing structure. To hold the sheet metal in place I used pop rivets and/or wood screws depending on what was behind the tab.
It's really not a terrible job if you are all all handy with tools. Feel free to email me directly if you need more help.

Dick B
email: [email protected]

hal
11-17-2001, 01:41 AM
There are a couple things that you need to understand about the foam.  First of all, there are two types, one that expands more greatly than the other.  The reason it is important to layer the foam is because it needs time to expand.  The type that expands more can actually cause the metal that you attached to the inner side of your wheel well to buckle outward, thus causing less clearance for the tire. I believe that there are also a variety of foams, some drying to a harder.   By the way, there is enough "foam" inside one can to fill one jumbo trash bag.  The reason you need four or five cans is because once the foam is no longer moving through the straw, it too will set up, thus preventing anymore foam to pass through it.  I found that I got the best mileage out of the cans by having both wheel wells prepared and then I could move from wheel to wheel and spray foam inside each.  It is true that in some areas of thicker foam, the foam will take a day or two to set up.  Trim off and make neat using a rasp.  Your fender skirt will cover it anyway.  As to the tin, I went to our big box hardware and found a piece of flashing 12 inches wide and long enough for three fender wells.  This is exactly what the doctor ordered except you don't take two and go to bed.I believe that this piece of metal cost me about $12.00.  My concern that this flashing is too thin was eased with the explanation that the real strength is the cuishioning effect of the foam behind the flashing.  Don't be concerned if you use more cans of foam (the total cans can be the most expensive part of this application).  Just think how much you would spend to prevent your wheel well torn out or the side of your trailer removed by a flailing piece of tire tread beating the side of your trailer.

arknoah
11-19-2001, 12:48 AM
Folks,

I have read John Irwin's site a number of times and can see the benefit of modifying the wheel wells.  We were very disappointed when our 2001 model arrived with the old square design.  Here's the dilemma though:  I am not a "handy-type" guy, and while Irwin explains the process very well, I just don't think I have the skill to do it.  Has anyone ordered a replacment wheel well from the factory and had it installed by a dealer?  I know the cost would be much higher, but it may be the only way I can get the peace of mind of knowing the job has been done properly.

Thanks.

F. J. & Ellen

arknoah
11-19-2001, 12:49 AM
Forgot to add also: ours is a tandem axle, so the job might be a bit more complicated.

Paul_Heuvelhorst
11-30-2001, 05:07 AM
Has anyone ordered a replacment wheel well from the factory and had it installed by a dealer?  

After having a blow-out on our 1998 2619 in New Mexico, we took the trailer to our dealer in Dinuba, CA for repairs.  They had a local sheetmetal shop fabricate one.  Installed, it cost us $100 about 2 years ago.

I would hope that TrailManor would pick up on John Irwin's thoughtful wheel well modifications and design them into their future upgrades of the trailers.  Dealers would be wise to offer this upgrade to existing trailers for the "unhandy" owners like F.J. and others.

Happy trailering to all.

arknoah
11-30-2001, 08:07 AM
Paul,

I believe someone posted before that newer models are coming with the modified wheel wells.  Because ours was one of the last 3225s produced, I guess we weren't so lucky.  Actually, $100 in California doesn't strike me as too much at all to pay for the peace of mind.  Thanks for the info.

F.J. & Ellen