PDA

View Full Version : New Forum Member with Comments and Questions

cardsfan39
10-08-2001, 03:34 AM
I just found this forum recently and really enjoyed all the comments.  It's interesting how similar my introduction to TM was to other posters.  I was intrigued with the engineering after viewing the TM tape, but was taken back by the price.  We didn't have a dealer near Houston at the time, and I watched for a used TM in the paper for some time.  I finally gave up and bought a TowLite 24.  I kept it for a 2 years until I needed two separate sleeping areas.  By this time TM had a dealership in Houston, and I found a used 1996 3023.  Ive really been pleased.  It is everything I had hoped.  We've only used it on weekend trips to nearby state parks, but I am planning to take an extended trip to Colorado nest summer when my wife joins me in retirement.

I'm thinking of getting the wall cabinet accessory.  Does anyone have any comments on its utility, ease of use, etc.

10-08-2001, 07:51 AM
We were going to get the wall cabinet until we learned that to fold down the camper you have to physically lift that cabinet off the wall and place it on the floor.  

10-08-2001, 10:58 AM
CF39, our new 3023 came with this cabinet and the very first thing we did was to remove it and store it when we got the TM home. It struck us as one of those ideas that seems great on paper and look charming in the brochure but which is not very useful in actuality. It is not meant to hold a lot of stuff or heavy items, and you must lift it down and re-hang (re-lift) it each time you use it.:( Seems like a lot of extra effort with not a lot of payoff. Maybe we didnt give the thing a fair chance, but this is MHO for what it is worth.

10-08-2001, 05:31 PM
I really like the wall cabinet. I mounted a fold-up paper towel holder to the bottom of it. When I hang the unit, it gives me a place for the paper towels other than taking up room on the counter. I keep a set of light dishes and cups in it. No more than the cabinet and dishes I have weigh, I leave them in it when hanging and taking down the unit. To each their own tho.

Mack

10-08-2001, 05:40 PM
I really like the wall cabinet, too. Of course, I only used it on the one trip so far. I decided to keep glasses and plates in it. I also put some of the light weight dry food for the trip in it, too. By the end of the trip, the food was almost gone and I didn't have to lift the weight of it when I took the cabinet off the wall.

The only thing I wasn't sure about was how to stow it for travelling. I put a blanket, afghan and several pillows around it. I will be interested to see how well it travelled.

I'd give the wall cabinet a chance.

10-09-2001, 12:32 AM
Our hanging cabinet is full of paper plates & bowls, cups, zip-lock bags, aluminum foil and has a paper towel holder on the side, so we can put it on the floor with no problem.  We put a pillow next to it and have had absolutely no trouble.  It goes up in seconds and is well worth it.

Chris_Bauer
10-09-2001, 03:18 AM
I think the hanging cabinet is a must.  In past posts many complained about having to bend over all the time to get stuff from the cabinets.  We use ours on every trip. It holds a set of dishes and glasses along with light-weight dry goods.  I wish we had room for two (maybe the 3326 and 3124 have room for one more).  It is light enough to lift and doesn't put any strain on the wall hooks.

If you have a slide model, it fits beautifully on the floor of the slide in front of the sofa when closing.  Nothing ever gets knocked over (we put our TV, trash can, small folding TV stand).  Plus, the cabinet gives a nice homey touch to the TM.

I have intended for a long time to call the factory to see what the weight limit is but keep forgetting.  Anybody know?

10-09-2001, 10:02 AM
8) I too like my hanging cabinet. I store all my paper plates and cups and small plastic containers of coffee, creamer, sugar, sweet & low, peanut butter, matches, and odds and ends. I think I would like to have another one also, but I think we have plenty of storage the way it is.  It isn't too heavy to lift. My hubby takes one side and I help balance it while he hangs it. It just takes a few seconds to hang and is really convenient over the sink.  I did remove the chair from the TM.  We don't spent too much time in the TM when we camp, and if we need a chair, we use our folding chairs.  This gives us more room and that chair filled an empty corner in my dining room where I like to set and read and I can put my books in the bottom storage for the next time.  The cabinet is a must, the chair, in my opinion is just in the way.   Happy camping  Betty

10-10-2001, 11:58 AM
We added the cabinet after we bought the camper because my wife had to bend down so much for stored `stuff'. Now we fill it with the things that we use every day and take it out and store it and remove the cabinet for traveling. We also added a paper towel holder on the underside, not folding type. When traveling we stow it upside down between the side A/C and bathroom wall and it rides just fine.
Upon arrival, it takes just a few minutes to remount the cabinet and fill it.
With regard to weight, I think you could fill it with dishes and it would not come down.
Dick B
2001 2619

cardsfan39
10-11-2001, 02:42 AM
Thanks to everyone who replied. It seems that folks who actually tried the cabinet are very pleased with it. I imagine it would be a pain if you were traveling and setting up every day. I prefer to get some place pretty and stay for several days. In that case, I think the convenience of having a wall cabinet over the sink would be great. We have some light weight melmac dishes that we would keep in there. Also the paper towell holder idea would be very convenient.

Our model has a 24" low countertop between the wardrobe and the stovetop. I found 2 plastic boxes with drawer fronts at WalMart that just fit this space. I keep them in the house and load them with canned goods and dry goods and carry them in to the camper. They are really handy counter height storage. You could stack more than 2 if you needed the room. Also you can stack stuff on the top.

arknoah
10-11-2001, 05:00 AM
That shows a great use of space on the counter top.  In our unit, there is a space on the low counter between the wardrobe and the higher counter, perhaps 18 inches.  That was the perfect space for a "half pint" microwave -- I believe by Sunbeam.  It meets our needs and is tucked nicely in a small space.

F. J. & Ellen

10-11-2001, 08:39 AM
We actually made a wall cabinet for ours.  We used a cabinet door that we had on hand and built a cabinet out of 1/4" cabinet grade plywood.  We didnt build a frame but used glue blocks in the corners and for the shelves.  We used oak for the face frame and recessed the bottom shelf far enough into the cabinet to put a paper towel holder behind the door.  The only question was how to hang it.  I used two socket rails (without the clips).  Attach one to the wall using the screw holes already there, and attach the other to the back of the cabinet. The cabinet one will safely nest in behind the wall one with no lining up necessary.  Our cabinet is only about 6 inches deep and has four shelves.  When you take it off you just place it door side down on the dinette seat and it stays in place very well.  Total cost.  One door (ours was free, but around $5 at a flea market.  One two by four foot 1/4" handy panel, around $6 at a lumberyard.  One handle $2.  Glue probably already on hand, face frame oak, cut from an old cabinet front and socket rails $2.

Paul_Heuvelhorst
10-18-2001, 02:04 PM
Like others have said, the hanging cabinet is very useful for storing lightweight supplies.  In addition to the paper plates, cups, etc., we stored salt & pepper and sugar in Tupperware containers.

We hung our paper towels on the side of the cabinet that faces the dinette, so we could leave the roll on the hanger when we took it down.  Mounted on the side it still allows the cabinet to set down on the floor when stowing for travel.

Best wishes in your travels.

cardsfan39
12-11-2001, 12:29 AM
I have now installed my wall cabinet and am really pleased.  It was smaller than I imagined, but our melmac dishes, coffee mugs, paper plates and plastic glasses fit perfectly.  It is very light-weight and easy to lift in place.  It frees up extra lower cabinet storage so the cooking utensils aren't so crowded.  I also installed 2 pull-out trays in the lower cabinets as suggested in this forum.  I'm really organized now!  Can't wait to get back out to try everything out.  Guess I'll have to wait until after the holidays.  

Chris_Bauer
12-11-2001, 11:31 AM
Here in Mexico they have been opening HEB supermarkets from Texas like crazy. The new one near my house is a mega store and they have Melmac dishes.  I use the cabinet and think it is great and your idea of Melmac makes it even greater. Am picking some up for the holiday vacation.

We are taking out the TM during Christmas (South Padre Island) and we are considering adding an additional cabinet and I am going to take some measurements and see if another will fit, or even a low-profile overhead cabinet.  It is too hard to explain but it is in my head.

Happy Holidays.

2swans
12-12-2001, 12:59 AM
now that we've been on a couple of trips, we are SO glad the cabinet came with the TM. it is a breeze to lift it off--just be sure you brace yourself up against the cabinet as you lift off--i tried to lift it my first time w/out doing this and almost broke my nose. the top edge of cab crashed against my nose bridge and bled!  :-X
the cabinet allows one to have a high cabinet for often used kitchen items--it's a pain to get on the floor all the time to reach into the other cabs.
we are taking my 86 yr. old dad on a trip this christmas, and we mounted a shaving mirror(the metal kind you get at backcountry stores-- 6x5 inches) on the inside hanging cab door to give my husband a mirror when dad is in the bath.
i, too, wondered about the cabinet at first, but i wouldn't trade it now. ;D :-X
enjoy your trips!  the swans