PDA

View Full Version : Little Bay de Noc MI UP

Speckul8r
07-24-2006, 12:29 PM
This is a NPS campground near Escanaba, MI. No hookups or modern facilities but a nice setting. Quasi boondocking. Campsites very private. Heavily screened from one another. Quiet. $11 per night.

Denny_A
07-24-2006, 08:41 PM
This is a NPS campground near Escanaba, MI. No hookups or modern facilities but a nice setting. Quasi boondocking. Campsites very private. Heavily screened from one another. Quiet. $11 per night.There are some very nice SP's in that area also. Youu may have missed a mjor attraction near Manistique, namely Kitch-iti-kipi; http://www.uppermichiganwaterfalls.com/Kitchitikipi.html

and Indian Lake State Park; http://www.michigandnr.com/parksandtrails/ParksandTrailsInfo.aspx?id=420 which is just a few short miles from Kitch-iti-kipi. Kitch-iti-kipi is a VERY popular site, and for good reason. Watching the boiling sand, in crystal clear waters, as trout flock to the cold waters 40 feet below is endlessly fascinating. We were as fascinated as our grandchildren were!

But, there are so many nice places to stay and see in the UP. Wish I still had a trailer. Sigh!

Speckul8r
07-25-2006, 10:21 AM
Denny, That sounds like a super pair. I will be back and they are on the list to check out. Are they heavily used and would you recommend reservations?

Incidentally, we were on our way home, in VA, from the wife's family reunion in Holcombe, WI. I see you are in WI also.

Denny_A
07-25-2006, 01:47 PM
Denny, That sounds like a super pair. I will be back and they are on the list to check out. Are they heavily used and would you recommend reservations?

Incidentally, we were on our way home, in VA, from the wife's family reunion in Holcombe, WI. I see you are in WI also.I'm very near Appleton (35 mi S of Green Bay). Kitch-iti-kipi is VERY busy during the summer, of course. Indian Lake SP is also popular, but I don't know about rez pressure. Info is available online.

Early September finds the attractions easier to access. During summer a line tends to form at the dock for the Kitch-iti-kipi barge. It will take only 20-25 at a time. Folks tend to dawdle once out over the spring unless there is a park employee operating the handwheel that moves the barge. Worth wait though. We had the barge to ourselves and spent over a half hour looking through the glass bottom of the barge.

Cheers,

Deny_A