PDA

View Full Version : Empting Toilet???

12-19-2001, 01:30 PM
Both the TM manual and the Thetford brochure refer to a "termination valve"  which is opened to empty the recirculating toilet. Is the termination valve the "Slide-EZ valve" as pictured on the Thetford site and in their brochure? The TM manual says if I use a dump station to empty the toilet that I close the grey water tank valve (which I keep closed anyway), open the termination valve, close the TM and go to a dump station to empty the toilet. When I tried this, I had green chemical on the floor of the TM when I next opened it. So, I did something wrong! I'm very good at following directions, but when doing something unfamiliar or using new technology, I need all the steps.  Am I missing a step here? Do I need to pull the valve out and then close it before going to the dump station or ??? I'd really like to figure this out, so I don't have to open the trailer at the dump site or clean up the floor again!

Many thanks!

2swans
12-20-2001, 01:22 AM
hi, collette,
sorry about the green floors. we are new to this too, but i'll tell you the one thing my husband said we must do when we take the folded TM to the dump station. he said you must pull out the lever (handle) you see at the bottom front of the toilet before you fold down the TM and head for the dump. he called that the valve. when you pull out the handle it comes out about 5-6". it looks like a thin metal rod behind the handle. i hope that is some help.we did this on our last trip just before we dumped and when we got to the dump, all he had to do was put the hose in the dump hole and open it up.

many on the board are probably preoccupied with christmas, but i feel sure a TM veteran will see your question and know the answer.

how are all your dogs? we just lost our gorgeous great pyrenees this summer-she loved to travel to yellowstone! we miss her!  sally swan

2swans
12-20-2001, 01:31 AM
collette,
hi again. just talked to dale and he said you can either leave the pull out handle out when you fold down, but probably would better to pull it out, let the black water dump into the lower part of TM, then push in the handle back in :'( toward the toilet before you fold down. leaving it pulled out would allow cold air to get in.

he said your toilet may have fozen and cracked :'(--but we hope this not the case--do you live in cold country? he said the green should not have spilled onto the floor if you simply pulled out the handle, drove to the dump and opened up the bottom escape. may need to have a dealer check the system for a crack--i sure hope we're wrong! :'( let us know how things go . 2swans

12-20-2001, 04:07 AM
SallySwan  is right. Pull valve under toilet and leave the valve open. Close TM and at dump station, all work will be done outside. Next time you open up the TM, close valve and charge system.

Do not open the valve and then close it after it dumps underneath as the toilet will not be empty. The pipe below the TM only holds around 1 gallon and the toilet holds 6.

The green floor is more than likley caused by a faulty flange seal. The good news is that this is a cheap fix (less than $5), the bad news is the toilet can be a bear to take out. Overall you should be able to replace this seal in around 2 hours. I pulled my toilet out via the instructions on the Thetford website and then dropped the seal into a bag and headed to the RV parts place. They matched it up and I reversed for the installation procedure.

Good luck. Happy Camping.

PS check some of the old toilet posts as a lot of information is available there.

Paul_Heuvelhorst
12-28-2001, 01:05 PM
Collette,
The "termination valve" and the Slide-EZ valve are one in the same.  As others have said, pull the valve out as far as it will come (5-6") before you close the trailer.  At the dump site, open the toilet dump valve first (the one on the 4" PVC pipe).  After it has drained (helps to have a clear sewer adaptor attached to your sewer hose at the trailer end) close it and open the "gray" water valve (1-1/2" PVC pipe).  This will drain your gray tank and clean your sewer pipe, too.  Then, disconnect the sewer hose, cap the drain valves and rinse the sewer hose with the water available at the dump site.

The fact that you found green chemical on the floor of the bathroom tells me that you either (1) have a cracked Slide-EZ valve, or (2) the toilet is not sealed properly where it attaches to the floor.  When you try to move the toilet side-to-side, does it move (it shouldn't).  I had both experiences with mine, and did the repairs myself.  The cracked Slide-EZ valve was replaced by my dealer under warranty.  I later had to replace it due to the neoprene seal failing and Thetford sent me a new slide ***'y at no cost.  If the toilet moves, it does not have a round disk screwed to the floor under 1 of the legs.  You need to install that disk and reinstall the toilet making sure you secure the slides under the bolt heads properly.  You'll find all the diagrams and instructions in your Thetford owner's manual as well as on Thetford's website.

Best wishes as you solve this messy problem.