PDA

View Full Version : Yellowstone pix part 2

Bill
07-11-2006, 01:01 PM
Here are some more fun ones.

My wife is a fly fisherman, so here are three shots of her fishing in the Firehole River. Note the geysers in the background in the first shot, and the bison (buffalo) in the background of the second. Fascinating place to fish. While she was fishing, the Japanese guy in the third shot tiptoed up behind her, and took dozens of pictures of her over the course of 15 minutes! We fully expect her to star in the next issue of the Field and Stream Japanese Edition. Watch for it on your newstand! She finally got annoyed enough with this guy that we moved to the Lewis River (4th shot). Look at all the snow!

The fifth shot is a pelican having a fishy lunch in Yellowstone Lake. I thought pelicans showed up only in the deep south! The next shows the track of a turtle that dragged itself across a gravel bar at the edge of Yellowstone Lake. At the end of the track is the "nest", complete with great wide flipper tracks where she smoothed gravel and sand over the eggs.

The wildflowers through the park were great. This is, I am told, a Pulsitilla.

And finally, the symbol of the country that allows me (and my wife, and all of us) to do all this.

Bill

Leslie & Nick
07-11-2006, 02:16 PM
Great pictures!!

But the big question.......did she catch any fish? :)

John Kelly
07-11-2006, 04:31 PM
Bill,

Great pictures and boy are you right about the last one. The Greatest country in the world and I only wish everyone enjoying all the benefits understood the sacrifices to make and keep it the Greatest.

Doug W.
07-11-2006, 06:35 PM
We went in late May 2004. It snowed some almost every day we were there. They closed the south pass we came in through, because of snow about an hour after we went through. We took a bus tour and the bus was 25 minutes late, because they closed the shorter route to us until they cleaned the road off. It melted off the roadway by noon each day though. Cool pictures Bill and thanks for sharing. We are planning on spending two weeks there next year and this time we want to go in September, but since our son is getting married in October it will most likely be in the spring again or the fall.

B_and_D
07-11-2006, 08:46 PM
;) Your wife is a fly fisher"man"? LOL! I've always wanted to learn how to fly fish....but now I'm kind of scared to try...I like being a woman...and I'm used to it.....and my drivers license says that I'm a woman....could lead to some lifestyle problems....plus the kids might not understand...

Seriously though, great pictures! Did she catch anything? Nothing better than a freshly caught trout dinner at the campsite...YUMMM!!! Our cat likes the leftovers, too!

BobRederick
07-11-2006, 10:51 PM
Great photos, Bill. I'll be there in a week.

Bill
07-12-2006, 04:11 PM
Leslie and Nick, and D' -

Did she catch any fish? Well, she has the whole fish-killing-and-dressing kit. The little pliers for getting the hook out. The gutting knife. The filet knife. A handy rock to kill the fish. A nice creel. But to tell the truth, I'm not sure she even wants to catch a fish. What she really enjoys is the artistry of fly-casting. Choosing a fly, working it across the water, reading the riffles, wading in the river, the quiet time outside, the scenery, and everything you see in "A River Runs Through It". To be honest, I'm not sure there is a hook inside those flies. So no, the catch was slim at best.

Suits me, I'm not a fish fan. So we both win - and so do the fish.

And D' - my wife would never permit me to call her a "fisherwoman" or "fisherperson". She thinks that a lot of that Gloria Steinem stuff is stupid.

Bill

B_and_D
07-12-2006, 11:27 PM
Bill - I was just kidding you about the fisherman thing (you probably know that!).

And as much as I love a good fish dinner, I kind of hate to see the poor little fish die, too. Now when it comes to oysters, it's another thing entirely. They're inside a shell. Somehow that makes it easier.

It seems like so many people are going to Yellowstone this year. We were watching a program about it on TV the other night, it looks like a great place to visit. Someday we will make it up there.

It's fun to see everyone's pictures from where they've been! Everyone keep posting!

Doug W.
07-13-2006, 06:32 PM
I would do it as soon as you can. My wife absolutely insisted on going. It was somewhere I was interested in going, but there were other places I wanted to go see more. Now both of us can hardly wait until we can get there again.

Larry_Loo
07-13-2006, 09:28 PM
Those are nice photos, Bill. Now you need to buy your wife some waders so that she can get into the water and have a little more room for her backcasts. That way she'll be able to cast out farther than she can while standing on the shore. Is her ankle completely healed by now?

baker75
05-29-2007, 05:41 PM
My wife and I went to yellowstone last year. If you haven't been, its one of my favorites and we hope to take our tm their soon. http://picasaweb.google.com/itsmydelusion/YellowstoneNationalPark

Freedom
05-29-2007, 06:51 PM
The "Caribou?" look like elk to me . . .

rotor_wash
05-29-2007, 07:00 PM
Great Pics! They are elk. (I dodge them on the highway all the time) As a one time budding geologist - specifically a vulcanologist, the Yellowstone hot spot could make one a career. Unfortunately they don't pay much at the USGS so I went to fly Helicopters. Wish they paid more too. Love the pics though!

baker75
05-30-2007, 05:13 PM
Yeah sorry, I should get my dear like mammals straight!. Caribou are further north I think.

fazzare
09-02-2007, 04:20 PM
Where did you camp? Good sites w/full hookups in Yellowstone? Can you recommend a site #.
Teresa

Bill
09-02-2007, 08:50 PM
In Yellowstone, the only campground offering full hookups is Fishing Bridge. Because of the bears, you must have a hardside camper to use the campground - no canvas popups - and the TM meets the requirements. It is a nice campground, but not wonderful. A bit crowded. On the other hand, most people don't use it to sit around and socialize - they are off to see the sights!

Bill

NW Native
09-05-2007, 09:08 PM
Where did you camp? Good sites w/full hookups in Yellowstone? Can you recommend a site #.
Teresa

We spent 4 nights at Fishing Bridge a couple of weeks ago. The sites are very close together, but like Bill says, most people don't spend a lot of time in the campground. One site is pretty much like another and you don't really have any choice. The sites are assigned based on your equipment.

Even though the sites are close together, there are wooded areas between the loops. This makes a nice place for kids to congregate and build forts and the like.

There is a nice laundry facility and pay ($3.25) showers available. The campground is also close to a general store, small visitors' center and gas station.