PDA

View Full Version : Yellowstone pix part 1

Bill
07-11-2006, 12:43 PM
As I have posted elsewhere, my wife and I spent two weeks in Yellowstone this spring. We arrived on May 28, in a blizzard! There was lots of snow in the woods, and quite a bit on the roads as you can see in the first pic. But the second pic shows that we were comfortable anyway, thanks to the fireplace mod I did in the TM living room.

BTW, our arrival on May 28 was good timing. A week earlier, a lot of the roads were closed. And if we had arrived later, the mosquitos would have been thick before we left.

Anyway, I am just getting around to posting some pix. I will avoid the standard shots of geyers and so forth, and try to post some highlights that I thought were fun. I will do this in two groups. Hope you enjoy them - and that it persuades some of you to go there! By the way, we are not quite as daring as some of the pics would lead you to believe - our camera has a 12X zoom!

Bill

Simon3xUD
07-12-2006, 07:51 AM
But the second pic shows that we were comfortable anyway, thanks to the fireplace mod I did in the TM living room.

Bill, I love your fireplace mod! :D How much did it add to the weight of your TM ;) ?

Great pics though! If you don't mind my being nosy, care to share the brand/model of camera you used? I'm in the market for a camera myself and it's always nice to see what cameras can produce!

tucsoncarol
07-12-2006, 03:38 PM
How did you do that? I would love a fireplace. When we were in Yellowstone two years ago, it was stunning. I never did finish my stories about our trip, maybe soon. Oh well, don't care about that now, how did you do a fireplace? Please share.

Bill
07-12-2006, 03:39 PM
Sally wroteIf you don't mind my being nosy, care to share the brand/model of camera you used?My wife and I are both amateur camera floggers - very much so, in fact. Years ago, we bought a simple digital camera as a "teething" experiment. After using it for a few years, we learned what we REALLY wanted a digital camera to do. In fact, we learned that we had two conflicting sets of requirements.

Since we spend a lot of time in the west, where things are often spectacular but often far away, I insisted that the camera have a LONG lens (also known as Optical Zoom - digital zoom is a fraud, by the way, ignore it). I insisted on at least 10X.

My wife is a close-up freak. She wants to be able to get INSIDE a flower, or between the little stones in her engagement ring. She insisted on a MACRO capability that would let her fill the frame with something less than 1/2" across.

We were resigned to buying two cameras, one for her and one for me, and weren't thrilled with the cost of that. So I did quite a bit of on-line research on digital cameras. The best site I found for thorough and unbiased testing of MANY cameras (and no manufacturers' hype) is

http://www.dpreview.com/

In the end, we discovered the Panasonic Lumix product line of digital cameras. It looked like the model DMC-FZ3 would meet our particular needs, so we crossed our fingers and bought it. We have liked it a lot. It has a 12X optical zoom for me, an incredible macro capability for her, image stabilization for both of us, and a SIMPLE mode that is a joy to use. It has only 3.2 MP, so the megapixel freaks will pooh-pooh it, but we don't print pictures at poster size, so it meets our needs quite well.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicfz3/

Like most digital cameras, the manufacturer discontinued it and introduced a new model, almost as soon as we opened the box. We've had no problem from that. We recently bought our daughter a DMC-FZ20 as an anniversary present. Similar camera, more megapixels, a few miscellaneous improvements - but basically very similar. She's loving it, though it is bigger than the shirt-pocket Canon (or whatever) that she had been using.

If anyone is interested, I'll email some of the close-close-close-ups that my wife has taken. None of them are relevant to TM, so I won't post them here.

Bill

tucsoncarol
07-12-2006, 03:47 PM
Just looked closely at your fireplace pic. Now you have me lusting after an unobtainable addition to my TM. I feel it is incumbent upon you to figure out how those of us lost in lust after your suggested mod can actually achieve it. Great pictures, by the way.

Bill
07-13-2006, 05:58 AM
Ha, I love it, Leon! Yeah, I have to admit that my "TM fireplace" is actually in the Park Ranger Museum near Canyon Campground. A beautiful spot, by the way!

Bill