PDA

View Full Version : TM 3K Summer Vacation

Magdefrau
07-01-2006, 01:32 PM
Got off work early Friday afternoon, a rarity till recently. Traveled to Arkansas State Park Lake Charles. Three hours East of Harrison, Arkansas.Nice place, need to call first, fills up quickly. Then on to Nashville Tennessee. Visited sister and family. Then an all day drive to Virginia. Folks are in a big hurry on the highways. If you are not willing to keep up the top speeds of 75 to 85 mph you will not be with the pack. I maintained 55 to 60 mph. Mpg average 15.8 to 16.4. What happen to President Jimmy Carter's save energy plan, I suppose other folks have earned more cash than I and can afford to spend without a budget. No wonder they can charge so much. Tire and engine stayed cooler at lower speeds. Past several campers over heating and tire blow outs. My children hear me say give me forty acres and I will turn this rig around it's the easiest way that I have found...and...speed kills. They saw how important it is to plan where I got off the road so not to get trapped....and we all saw three very bad wrecks, I don't know, but... I am afraid there were folks whom are not around any longer. Up again and through the Blue Ridge Mountains to Luray, Virginia. The Shenandoah Valley is the most beautiful place. Be sure to go there. After a few days on to Washington D.C. The traffic on the East side of the Blue Ridge Mountains is ....More than Arkansas! Cherry Hill RV Park is the place to stay in D.C. They are great. After Four wonderful days camping outside Washington and seeing the sights we went on to Virginia Beach, First Landing State Park. Again a nice visit. Beach camping is romantic, but the days past quickly. We left just in time because as we crossed the Blue Ridge the rains began. The mountains are spooky in the mist of rain showers and storms. We stopped and ate dinner during the worst rains. Our Grand Caravan and TM became a dangerous rig in heavy down pours. As well as many tow rigs. One of the bad wrecks we saw was as we continued our trip after the rain had paused. That evening in Tennessee traffic decreased and I felt more at home . We awoke early and continued on through Tennessee. I once hear it said that Tennessee is God's country, maybe so as it is a lovely place. We crossed the Mississippi river over to Missouri, then a short crossing to Arkansas. It was still light and the park we were planning to stop at was full so we continue on to the house. Should had called ahead. Every year there are more travelers in campers and I see that the number of parks in the near furture may not be enough..... I wonder, is there a career change in this day dream?
So, what are the stats: 2975miles 15.9 mpg with premium gas. Food was the biggest expense, then camping fees, next gas, then entertainment and this and that. At times the mpg was 18 but 15.9 in the trip average. City driving and in the mountains drives the average down. I never gunned the rig but watch the tack keeping the rpms between 1.5k to 3.5k. Yes, I'm sure some hot heads wanted me to push my rig harder. But, I manage my life for profit. The TM did sustained damage, I not sure why some of the screws and bolts fell out and one hold down bracket broke the bolts off within the hole. The highway have section that must rattle the camper even at 55mph. The AC worked well, at night it will freeze you out. Set the setting rather low or you will be getting up in the AM. The bathroom did fine as did the hot water tank, the refrigerator and the stove and oven. The plastic sky light broke, I do not know why. And let me finish with this the WDH and the Anti Sway Bar gave me a safer margine of control. Through rainy mountain passes......think about it. Remember, "Speed Kills". Take breaks often. Grease wheelbears and hitch pivit points and always chock the wheels. Got two more week ......where to now! Finish some home repairs I hear.

Catawbalea
07-01-2006, 04:34 PM
Welcome home! That was some trip. We found the speeders can just pass us. Then we don't have to worry about water kicking up in our windshield and following too close.