PDA

View Full Version : canadian trip

02-28-2002, 06:02 AM
 We are thinking about taking a trip to canada.  We are in Indiana and plan to go to Detroit Michigan and take the 401 Highway into Toronto Canada.   If anyone has taken this route, could you please tell me if there are any camp grounds along that route. ???  We will probably go in  June so there is no rush, but we do need some info on this if anyone can help.  All and any info will be appreciated.  thanks  :D       betty

02-28-2002, 09:52 AM
Betty,

I haven't taken that route, but according to my aging Rand McNally Tripmaker Deluxe (1999 version) there are KOAs located in Windsor, London and Toronto.  While IMO KOAs aren't necessarily the "cream of the crop" for campgrounds, normally they offer at least acceptable accomodations. It also lists several family campgrounds between London and Toronto, but nothing between Windsor and London.  I would suggest visiting a "Barnes and Nobles" type book store or Amazon and get a copy of either Woodall's or Trailer Life Campground Directories.  They "rate every campground and include type and description of access and interior roads; park elevation; restrictions; number and description of available sites; description of basic facilities, amenities, recreation, and last year's rates".

Happy Trails.............    George

arknoah
03-01-2002, 12:07 AM
Betty,

We've generally gone over the border at Port Huron, because it is less of a hassle than going through Detroit, but clearly, you wouldn't want to drive that far north coming from Indiana.  We've stayed at a Yogi Bear campground about 20 miles from Windsor (we have small kids), and at the other end, we've stayed in the Niagara region, at a Yogi Bear on the Canadian side, and at a KOA on the New York side.  Because we were always going straight through to New England, we have never stopped along the way, nor yet gone up toward Toronto.  I seem to remember seeing signs for camping along the various routes (401, 402, 403, QEW), but never got off the road to check them out.  

I will say that the last time we drove over those road, especially the first two  hours out of Port Huron, the roads were very much in need of repair, and things got very bumpy.  You  may wish to contact the Canadian equivalent of AAA to see about road conditions before you start, and I would also recommend getting a campground guide.  We have  last year's Woodall's book with the Camping World cover so it was cheaper, plus we got the Camping World discount.

Good Luck

03-01-2002, 08:15 AM
I grew up in Indiana, have lived in the Detroit area for 22 years, and work for a Canadian company, so I know these routes.

I would not go over at the Detroit border crossing (bridge or tunnel).  The Blue Water bridge in Port Huron / Sarnia is normally quicker.

The 402 over to London, Ont. has had quite of bit of repaving over past several years and I don't recall a roughness problem.

There are two nice public parks a little out of way, north of the 402 up on the east coast of Lake Huron -- Pinery and Ipperwash.  Both are "Provincial" parks.  Check out www.ontarioparks.com

Can't comment on private campgrounds since we don't use them.