PDA

View Full Version : LAPTOPS & DATA PORTS???

03-16-2002, 06:29 AM
WE PLAN TO DO A GOOD BIT OF TRAVELLING THIS YEAR SO I AM LOOKING FOR A USED LAPTOP TO KEEP IN TOUCH WHILE WE ARE ON THE ROAD. I noticed a few KOA'S offer free data ports. Do any of you have any experience with this. Are the data ports at each campsite ? Or do you have to go to the office to connect? I thought I would sign up for uplink or AOL for a couple of months while we are on the road as they offer connections in many small towns we will be staying at. Any thoughts??

03-16-2002, 01:17 PM
You might consider a PCMCIA wireless access card.  This accesses the internet using the cell phone network and one would pay a monthly fee.

I tried this with a notebook computer last summer with limited success.  Often times one isn't close to a cell tower and signal strength inside the aluminum-bodied camper is a problem.  I tried playing around with the TV antenna amplifier connection but concluded that the cell phone operating frequencies exceeds that of the TV antenna amplifier.  

The internet connection bandwidth is also quite limited but would work OK to exchange E-mail or get weather forecasts.  

03-16-2002, 11:38 PM
Another solution to internet usage on the road (lower tech than my husband's wireless access card) is to visit

http://www.connectnet.org

This web site allows you to find publicly available internet access.  Generally, the access is at public libraries.  It is really amazing how many small towns libraries have internet access.

J

Gene
03-17-2002, 04:02 PM
We are on the road now and I am typing and sending this message from a RV Park right now, using AOL. I have a direct phone hookup to my TrailManor in this RV park. I have had very good results with AOL. Trailer Life Directory now lists modem friendly campgrounds. Most modem friendly campgrounds have their modem connection in their office. Also, I have visited libraries in many towns. I type in 'AOL Anywhere'. It retrieves my e-mail and I am able to send e-mail from any computer that has e-mail access.