PDA

View Full Version : Interior lighting

03-09-2002, 01:51 AM
Is anyone experienced with installing a recessed 12v flourescent fixture into the ceiling?  This means a rectangular cut-out in the inner aluminum wall of the shell and are there any concerns with doing so?.  There are light units that required but 1" of recess.  Other unit types can just be surface mounted.

I plan to add flourescent lighting (2 single tube fixtures, 15watts each) over the main using a good color rendition F15T8 bulb.

RickNewcomb
03-09-2002, 11:01 PM
If you check out the picture in the for sale post below, you will notice that a 12v flourescent surface mounted fixture (same as the bathroom fixture) has been added over the table.

http://tretta.hypermart.net/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.pl?board=tmforsale&action
=display&num=1014732145

03-10-2002, 12:21 AM
Thanks for link.  The light is placed just forward of the area occupied by the lower shell when closed.  One can see the familiar marks left from the lower shell's seal on the upper shell's ceiling.  

My 2720 has less distance available on the upper shell toward the front wall to clear the lower shell, so a light like this would be located within 2 feet of the front.

If a light could be recessed then clearance restriction to the closed lower shell goes away.  I just haven't seen this done and I wonder if there is a condition that I'm not considering.

RickNewcomb
03-11-2002, 08:06 AM
I now see the issue (Dawn Breaks on Marblehead).

My only concern would be: removing additional material from the ceiling would this weaken the roof structure. If you don't get a response here, you may want to call the factory.

I can only offer a possible alternative of replacing the existing 12v Dome Lights with the 12v flourescent fixture. You might have to enlargen the hole.

The 12v Dome Lights look like they are recessed based on the picture from John's webpage at:

http://irwin.home.texas.net/HomePage/PhotoCellx.html

03-16-2002, 01:30 PM
I have ordered two Thinlite #193 12 v flourescent fixtures.  These use a single 18" 15 watt tube.   I plan to have Velcro attachments in strategic spots on the ceiling, each having a small 12v connector available.  With this I can place a light when and where needed.

The flourescent lights will give us greater light efficiency, important since we enjoy rustic camping.  I have also bought better light rendition tubes and will throw out the cool white bulbs that come with the fixtures.

03-16-2002, 07:35 PM
This may sound picky but the type of lighting we have all been discussing is spelled `fluorescent' not `flourescent'.

Sorry, but I just had to bring it up....

Dick_B

03-16-2002, 10:56 PM
Dick_B:

What color temperature tubes would you recommend?

hal
03-18-2002, 01:20 AM
Drat!  when did they change the spelling?  I have been spelling it the wrong way for years.  It took me years to say "yam" and now they are changing it to "yelly".   :D ;D ;D

03-19-2002, 10:31 AM
Hal,
I didn't get your e-mail.
Try [email protected]

mainesunshine
07-26-2023, 08:58 AM
Just a thought. Have you considered LED fixtures? Even the T8 fluorescents consume far more power per lumen delivered than an LED. The stated wattage of the tube is NOT the power for the fixture as a whole. LEDs are available in all color temperatures. If you plan on boondocking, I would definitely go the LED route.

Bill K.

Shane826
07-26-2023, 10:39 AM
Bbrrrrrraaaaaaiiiinns!

rich2468
07-26-2023, 10:55 AM
A lot has changed in lighting in 21 years.

It's probably reasonable to assume a solution has already been found...

Rich and Lynn
2021 2922KB

Larryjb
07-26-2023, 11:31 AM
Just a thought. Have you considered LED fixtures? Even the T8 fluorescents consume far more power per lumen delivered than an LED. The stated wattage of the tube is NOT the power for the fixture as a whole. LEDs are available in all color temperatures. If you plan on boondocking, I would definitely go the LED route.

Bill K.

I got these a few years ago:
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01MXDPNHH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Now, the switch has three positions: left=on, center = off, right = on.

I wired a resistor to the wiring for the left position so that I could have a dim position as well.

I also got a vent trim kit that includes LED lighting:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EXKUOZS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Kidkraz
07-26-2023, 10:55 PM
Mainesunshine, you do know you were replying to a 20 old post.

Kmikesell
07-27-2023, 04:10 PM

Bill K.

My thoughts EXACTLY!

And I thought it was Floor Essence!!

Kidkraz
07-27-2023, 09:32 PM
Floor esseance? Isn't that what the dog or cats leave behind? Sorry, just could stop myself. :new_Eyecr :)

Kmikesell
07-29-2023, 02:23 AM
That's the smell of a wet dog.... "Fur Essence"