PDA

View Full Version : Installing CD player

03-10-2002, 11:50 AM
While waiting for our new Trail Manor to arrive, we want to purchase an in-dash CD player/radio. Can anyone tell us the
size of the opening over the refrigerator? Anyone have any
tips? What is the best way to mount it? Thanks.

arknoah
03-11-2002, 12:56 AM
Hi,

I don't have the exact answer on the radio opening, except that it is a standard size. I began looking for them last fall and measured the opening, and found that most of the units I checked out would fit the opening. The only drawback is that you either get a CD player/ radio or a tape player/ radio (with the possible addition of a weather band) but you can't get a CD player and tape player in the same unit because of the size of the hole.

There was a really great thread entitled "what wires go to what" that you can follow on page 4 of the general discussion section that talked specifically about the wires themselves, getting the cover off and whether to wire it directly to the battery, etc. You may want to check that out. If I go into my unit in the next day or so, I will try to remember to measure the opening.

Bill
03-12-2002, 10:52 AM
Trail Manor has made it as convenient as possible for us owners. As FJ and Ellen said, the hole in the face of the counter is a standard size, which I believe is referred to as a "single DIN size". Most (but not all) CD players are single-DIN size, and that is what you want to get. Note that there are other sizes - such as double-DIN (same width but twice as high), and I think some GM cars and some foreign cars may take a special size.
Having recently gone through this, let me describe my experiences, for what they are worth. First, the hole in the face of the counter is just that - a hole. You need some sort of mounting kit to hold your CD player in place. The kits that I am familiar with include a "DIN sleeve". This is a piece of thin sheet metal, formed into a rectangular tube, open at the ends. The height and width of the tube are DIN size, and it is 4 or 5 inches long. You slide the sleeve into the opening in the panel and screw it in place. (The screws go through the sides of the sleeve and into the wood at the edge of the panel opening.) Once the sleeve is in place, you simply slide your CD player into the sleeve, and it clicks into place - just like in the dashboard of your car. And you can use standard DIN removal tools (the U-shaped metal hooks that are also part of the kit) to remove it from the DIN sleeve. Very simple.
So step 1 is to install the DIN sleeve in the opening. Step 2 is to reach your hand through the sleeve, and pull out the wires that are lying there on top of the fridge, waiting to be hooked to the CD player. Step 3 is to connect those wires to the pigtails on the prewired plug that came with your CD - this pre-wired plug is also part of the mounting kit, and you gotta have it! Step 4 is to push the wires back through the sleeve, followed by the CD player itself. Step 5 is to snap the trim plate/bezel/escutcheon that came with your CD player (also part of the mounting kit, probably) onto the front of the player, to give it a finished look. Step 6 - enjoy. The whole thing should take less than an hour if you have all the parts.
A note on installing the DIN sleeve in the opening. The wood panel is about 3/4" thick, if I recall correctly. When you slide the DIN sleeve into the panel, the front of the sleeve is well-supported by the bottom of the panel opening, but the back of the sleeve is hanging in the air in the empty space above the refrigerator. This won't do, since the weight of the CD player will make the entire assembly sag down at the back. To remedy this, I glued a small block of wood to the top of the fridge to support the rear of the sleeve. The sleeve just rests on it - it doesn't have to be attached. Easy.

[A note added months later. When you glue down the wood block, use a WEAK glue. Years from now, when you have to pull the fridge and have forgotten about the block, you want the glue bond to break before the block smashes through the wood of the front panel. Alternatively, glue the block to the underside of the DIN sleeve, and just let it rest on the top of the fridge.
Bill]

Bill

Bill
03-12-2002, 10:53 AM
More thoughts about choice of a CD player. The most important thing is to get the right size, of course, and be sure you get a mounting kit, but beyond that, a whole world of possibilities awaits you.

First, you mentioned "a CD player", but I assume you will get one that also has an AM/FM receiver. The Trail Manor has the cable from the external antenna right at the top of the fridge in the same bundle as the other wires.

You don't need a whole lot of audio power - the Trail Manor is a small place, and the built-in speakers, at least, won't take (and don't need) hundreds of watts. For various reasons, I chose a Jensen MP3510, which "boasts" 17.5 watts RMS per channel. More than plenty.

FJ and Ellen mentioned that you will be able to get a CD player, or a tape player, but not both in one unit. This is almost completely true, but I think I have seen a couple single units that do both, and stay within the single DIN size. I know nothing about them - probably expensive, possibly mechanically touchy - but if you are hard over about having both, it may be possible.

For me, the most interesting thing about the new generation of CD players is that in addition to playing standard commercial discs, many of them will read CD-R and CD-RW discs (discs you make your self on your home computer), and some of them will handle MP3 audio. Without going into all of it here (contact me off list if you would like more detail), the ability to make your own discs frees you from reliance on pre-recorded discs, and allows you to choose your own content. For our recent trip west, for instance, my wife gathered together a bunch of classic western songs, such as Tumblin' Tumbleweeds, stuff by Gene Autry's Sons of the Pioneers, Roy Rogers and Dale Evans singing their theme song, and so forth, and put them on CDs. Granted, a little of this goes a long way, but it was fun and helped us make the transition. You could do the same with your favorite show tunes, favorite golden oldies, jazz, blues - or mix and match to make a disc that matches your own particular tastes.

Beyond that, MP3 is a method of audio compression that enables you to put as many as 200 songs onto a single CD. Again, your computer can do it. This frees you from the standard 10-songs-per-CD limit, and the resulting pile of discs that always seem to be in the way.

I might suggest that you get familiar with a company called Crutchfield (http://www.crutchfield.com). I have no connection with them, other than having purchased several car audio units from them over a number of years, with good results. Their web site discusses a lot about size and installation, and their paper catalog is a storehouse of information - get one if you have time, even if you don't intend to buy from them. They specialize in easy installation, and so all of their units come with the mounting kit I described. If you buy from your local audio store, you may have to ask for (and pay for) these items separately. Crutchfield prices seem reasonable, telephone support is very good.

So this is long, and I hope helpful. In summary, buy a player which has a standard physical size, and it will slide right into the factory-cut opening above the fridge. No cutting needed. Be sure you get a mounting kit, to include at least a DIN sleeve, power and speaker connector(s) with wire pigtails, and a trim ring. And enjoy!

Bill

03-12-2002, 01:35 PM
Thanks to everyone for the help. Bill, funny you should mention Crutchfield, that's where I am ordering the cd player/receiver from... and it's a Jensen! I have ordered from them in the past and they do include all installation accessories. I highly recommend them.

P.S. Crutchfield sells a Sanyo model that offers cd, cassette, and tuner in a single DIN package for approx. $275.00

03-18-2002, 03:01 PM
I happen to have a CD/AM/FM unit in my garage I've been meaning to install. Sounds like a good weekend project.

But what I really want to do is upgrade the speakers in the front. The paper cone speakers gotta go.

There are these interesting "squared circle" grates on the speakers, has anyone pulled these off to see if they are reusable? What size speakers (looks like about 4-5" to me)?

03-20-2002, 01:13 AM
I'd suggest trying the radio/cd player before you change out the factory speakers. They work just fine in our 2619 but then I don't expect Bose speakers in an RV!
Dick_B