PDA

View Full Version : Sewer drain orientation

KB7OUR
04-22-2002, 07:16 AM
While we await the construction of our 2002 2720SL, can someone tell me if the sewer drain is oriented vertically or horizontally? I'm going to purchase the "Sewer Solution" and need to know this in order to purchase the correct model.

Thanks,

Wade

04-22-2002, 09:17 AM
Wade,

I'd send a private note to Paul, refer: to the lastest "Toilet Chemicals for Recirulating Toilet" thread. It sounds as though he has one. He will undoubtedly tell you what to get and how well it works. By looking at the Sewer Solution web-site it looks as though Model V does either application, vertical or horizontal. Although, I know the answer is horizontal, I would rather you talk to someone with experience such as Paul. Mainly because I know nothing of the product and for the reason TMs do not have black water tanks, only grey water. I assume they will work with the recirculating toilet or Paul would not have given them a vote of confidence in his response to the aforementioned thread.

Anyway, welcome to the TM family and I hope you enjoy you're new TM as much as we have ours during the last four years and some 18,000 miles.

Happy Trails........George

PAUL_R
04-23-2002, 05:56 AM
hello wade and george. model v will work either way. this has been the only sewer system i have used since buying my tm. it has been outstanding!

not sure what type of camping you will be doing, but i suggest you by the 10' extension hose to along with the model v.

off to the jazz and crawfish festival...see you on the road.

KB7OUR
04-23-2002, 07:53 AM
Thanks so much for the reply, Paul. I do plan to purchase the 10' extension hose. If there is no black water tank for the TM then how do you empty the toilet using this device? Also, do you use the same device as a grey water drain?

Thanks,

Wade

Paul_Heuvelhorst
04-23-2002, 05:45 PM
I have to put in my "2-cents" on this one...

After owning a TM for 3 years and traveling over 16K miles with it, we were never in a situation where we couldn't dump our waste tanks at a regular sewer with our 3" hose.  I seriously question the need for a "Sewer Solution" for any trailer, but particularly the TM.  It would be a waste of money for me.  :o

KB7OUR
04-24-2002, 01:13 PM
Paul, thanks for your input. This is just a terrific group. In trying to weigh the + & - of the Sewer Solution, I "think" I would rather deal with a smaller diameter hose and attachment that forces out the waste water rather than have to carry the larger 3" hose and be sure that gravity will carry the contents out. Also, with this device it seems like you can essentially backwash the toilet fairly easily with it, plus the hose is self-cleaning. To me it seems well worth $75-$100 for these conveniences, but then I don't even have the trailor yet so what do I know???

Wade

Paul_Heuvelhorst
04-24-2002, 05:21 PM
Wade,
Consider that the TM toilet holds 6 gallons when full.  There is a handle at the base of the toilet that you pull out if you intend to dump after you close the trailer.  The 3" line attached from the base of the toilet to the black water waste valve is about 12"-16" long.

TM stores the 3" diameter sewer hose in the rear bumper.  Removing the sewer hose and attaching it to the outlet doesn't take but 30 seconds.  Making sure you have the other end of the sewer hose in the dump sewer line, you pull the handle on the outside valve, and VIOLA, the black sewage is gone in a matter of seconds... maybe 30.  Then, you close that valve and open the one for your gray water.  Since you have a 20 gallon gray tank, it will take a couple minutes for it to drain, in part because it is draining from a 1-1/2" line.

I bought a 45 degree clear plastic fitting to attach at the trailer sewer outlet and the sewer hose to the other end of it.  You can watch when your water is running clear and when it is finished running.  By the way, the black tank on our new trailer holds 35 gallons, as does the gray tank.

I've not been to many public RV dumping stations that have a water hose available for you to connect to your "Sewer Solution."  They have a short hose to be used for rinsing your 3" hose and washing down the sewer area, but that short hose doesn't usually have a fitting on it to connect to a nozzle or other hose bib.

IMHO, you should save your $100 for other, better used accessories for your new home on wheels.

In any case, enjoy it to the max.

KB7OUR
04-25-2002, 07:11 AM
There is a good argument that this device requires a nearby water hose in order to create pressure to pump out waste. Paul R. and others...how is it you are able to find a nearby water hose at dump stations in order to effectively use the Sewer Solution? Also, what if there is no hose nearby? Now I'm having second thoughts that maybe I will hold on to my $100. It wouldn't do much good without a nearby water hose to attach to this device.

Wade

arknoah
04-26-2002, 01:14 AM
As I read this thread and the other one about this device, I was under the impression that the people who had it used it on a campsite with a sewer connection, rather than just using it to dump at a dump station.  Clearly, the concern about having a hose with a hose connection at the dump station is a valid one, though if you are at a site with sewer, that should not be a problem.  

Even with the problem of trying to make sure gravity is on your side when dumping with the conventional 3" hose, (which has been a challenge in some campgrounds) we've opted to keep dumping the old fashioned way.

To each his own....

PAUL_R
05-01-2002, 02:27 PM
sorry that i am just responding. we have been on the road with our tm...lots of great fishing.  lots of red fish, drum and trout. also, been attending the festivals. now for the sewerage solution system. see comments by mcyr on his shakedown weekend. again everyone has an opinion about what is best for them. for us, the sewerage solution is wonderful. without making you sick, we had a case of food poisioning on our last trip and the need to use the facilities was paramount :we were so glad that we had the sewer system. no fuss, no dirty hose to clean and in fact, the dw handles all our sewerage chores. 8) we don't use the dump station, we always camp with full hook ups.

RickNewcomb
05-02-2002, 03:54 AM
From my experience I would have to concur with Paul H. that I don't see the need for the "Sewer Solution". I have had my TrailManor for three years (approx. 24 camping trips) and have never come in contact with any sewer waste or a dirty sewer hose. Having a very weak stomach, I would be a very unhappy camper if I did. I have had no problems using the standard sewer hose with a connection to the trailer and an elbow connection to the dump sewer line. As Paul H. has pointed out as long as you dump the toilet first and the grey water second you should have no problems.