PDA

View Full Version : Want to buy - what about WIND

05-07-2002, 04:00 PM
We are looking to buy, actually after selling our 31' Class C.  The wind in Colorado and Kansas is awful.  How well does the TM do in the wind?  We are looking at a 3124KB and will be pulling it with a Toyota Sequoia or a Nissan Frontier CrewCab.

Denny_A
05-07-2002, 05:46 PM
TIMR wrote:

>How well does the TM do in the wind?<

I've been to Pensacola Fl and back to Wisconsin; and Houston Tx and back again in 2 months. First and 2nd TM trips. Hit Tn and KY during flood conditions, high winds, and generally nasty crosswinds.

In MO, I ran into a VERY nasty (60 MPH gusts) rain and hail thunderstorm, plus other memorable events. Similar in Afkansas.

I use an equilizer hitch, but no anti-sway control. Never had a sway problem when the hitch was properly hooked up. I accidentally used the wrong chain links on one hookup (to little torque to the hitch, and noticed a few unpleasant sensations. Checked, adjusted, and all was right with the world.

In a word - "GREAT". It trailers just fine!

Denn_A

05-08-2002, 12:58 AM
Thanks for the speedy reply. Our big old sail (AKA 31' Class C) was / is a real handful in the wind. We look forward to more room, more flexibility, and safer driving with the TM! :)

Larry_Loo
05-10-2002, 08:20 AM
My wife and I just returned yesterday from two trips with our 3124KS, the first to Southern California and the second to the San Jose area (the S. Francisco Bay area). On both trips we encountered winds blowing across the highways at what I estimated to be around 30 to 35 MPH. Our truck-TM rig was not buffeted sideways at all while driving on those long, open stretches of highways. In fact, when driving without the TM our truck seemed to be buffeted more by winds than when towing it. The added weight of the TM, with its low profile, may have contributed to greater lateral stability of our rig? We tow with just a Reese load equalizing hitch. ;D

Paul_Heuvelhorst
05-10-2002, 02:12 PM
You won't have any trouble towing the TM in windy conditions.  However, my personal opinion is that the tow vehicles you are considering are too under powered for towing with ease.

My 2619 was first towed with a Ford Aerostar van 4.0L V-6 engine with factory tow package.  When I stepped up to an F150 Ext. Cab with the small V-8, 4.6L, there was a world of difference.  Yes, my gas mileage suffered about 3 mpg, but the security of towing with a larger vehicle outweighed, for us, the poorer gas mileage.

Whatever you do, enjoy your new "home away from home."

05-10-2002, 03:35 PM
Wow, looks like I won't have to worry about wind.  Actually today we decided on a Chevy Tahoe with the heavy duty (Bilstein shocks) suspension.  We too want to be sure we have the power to take all of these lovely mountain passes here in Colorado and I am afraid that the little Nissan just won't make it....

Thanks all for the good info on this site.

05-10-2002, 11:35 PM
You sound just like me. We had a Winnabago 31RQ Class A and got tired of driving in the wind. My wife would still prefer the MH because she can get up and walk around while traveling but she likes having a vehicle to drive around when we stop. There are always trade offs to me made.
I get twice the milage, have a vehicle to drive around, it is much easier to drive, can travel at a higher speed, have less insurance cost, one less engine, much less maintainence, as much room inside and actually more storage because I use the truck bed to haul extra gear.
All in all I am very happy with the change to Trailmanor.
I have the 3326 but when my sons ages 13 and 15 have moved on I think I would be satisfied with a smaller unit.

arknoah
05-13-2002, 04:14 AM
This may be the first time I disagree with Paul H.  Our tow vehicle is a Toyota Sequoia and we tow a 3225, which is about 100 lbs. heavier than the 3124, and it tows with ease.  We only lose about 2- 2.5 miles per gallon, and have no difficulty going up hills, etc.  Since I don't know much about your Nissan, that may or may not be a good tow vehicle for you.

05-18-2002, 08:36 AM
At the risk of sounding like a broken record...be sure your vehicle, whatever you buy, has a towing package. They typically beef up the cooling systems, heavy duty flashers, etc. The size of the engine isn't the only think to be concerned about when towing.
Dick_B

05-18-2002, 11:01 PM
::) Thanks everyone.  We did buy a Chevy Tahoe with Auto-ride and the tow package.  We also settled on a 2720 TM instead of the 3124.  We will take it out Memorial Day for a shake-down cruise into the mountains of central Colorado.  We are looking forward to the experience.

Happytrails
05-20-2002, 11:16 AM
Food for thought......my dad has a 35' Bluebird Wanderlodge that probably cost him almost half of what my house cost or more. His last maintenance bill was $450.00 to replace some filters, and fix the generator. Whenever they go ANYWHERE, they rent a car. I "stumbled" into my buy after finding this site upon finding my TM and doing some homework. (LOL, and got really lucky as well)....I wanted something I could take camping, and still enjoy the jeep trails of the outter banks, as well as other "out of the way" places along the east coast. I've got about $1000.00,  ($400.00 original cost, plus some electrical repairs, AND EVERYTHING I needed for camping included!), in my TM total, have almost as much room as my dad has, and to top it off, it just chaps my dad's butt that I got a better terlit than he does! lol Too funny! (No puns intended)! Anyway, I've got a GREAT trailer that's no hassles, and can still go where I want to wherever I go!   Just a thought!