PDA

View Full Version : Shakedown Weekend

04-28-2002, 01:49 PM
Our weekend went Perfectly!!! :D The Trailmanor is everything we hoped it would be. Even though the temperature dropped to 30 degrees, we stayed cozy and warm. Thanks to recommendations made in this forum, we towed with an Equalizer hitch, and had no problem doing 65 MPH (maybe slightly over... ;D) even passing or being passed by big rigs with no trouble what so ever. We had excellent visibility with our McKesh mirrors. The Sewer Solution is PRICELESS. We were able to dump and backflush the system without getting our hands dirty. For our fresh water supply, we used a Handi-Hose, which rolls up flat on its own reel, squeezing out all the water and takes up very little storage space. We used Thetford Aqua Kem Blue and had no odor problem. The radio/CD player was a snap to install and sounds fine with the TM speakers. We set the refrigerator on max to start, but forgot to turn it down...ever had frozen eggs?
 The wheel-wells are rounded with Goodyear tires. The Coleman air-conditioner is centrally located and gives good circulation. Our unit opens and closes smoothly and everything fits properly.
 All-in-all, it was a very pleasurable weekend, we can't wait to take it out again for a REAL camping trip. We'd like to use it more, but unfortunately we have to work full-time to pay for it! ;) Thanks again to all of you for your comments and advice.

KB7OUR
04-29-2002, 06:53 AM
Our new 2720SL on order will have the swing away hitch. Does anyone know if this will work with the Equalizer? If so, I imagine we would have to remove the Equalizer whenever we pull the pins on the hitch. Any experiences or tips for a different brand of stablizing hitch arrangement that will work with this setup would be greatly appreciated. Also, if the Equalizer will work how long does it take to install/remove?

Wade

04-29-2002, 12:39 PM
Wade,
The brackets that come with the Equalizer and mount to the trailer frame must be 27" to 32" from the center of the ball coupler. The brackets remain with the frame. The hitch head and spring arms are removed when done towing. It takes between 1/2 to 1 hour to install and adjust. After the initial setup, it takes only a couple of minutes to hook up. You can get a free video about the equalizer from equalizerhitch.com

Bill
04-30-2002, 09:45 AM
Wade -

I'm not sure if you are referring to a generic equalizer hitch, or to the Equal-i-zer from Lindon Hitches. I have the former, a nice heavy-duty hitch from Reese, which performs well. However, it does not have a sway control function, and the Reese friction sway control WILL NOT FIT on the swing tongue version of the TM.

I have pulled my TM about 5000 miles now, and have never experienced sway, even in situations that should have caused it. I was going to add the Reese friction sway control just as added insurance (see the thread about the TM overturn in NH), and discovered the fit problem the hard way. So I will do without. If I had it to do over again, I might choose a multifunction hitch, just for the piece of mind.

Your TM is the same as mine, and your Yukon is a bit larger than my Explorer, as I recall. When considering sway, the Yukon should be a wonderful tow vehicle, and I bet you won't need sway control. Still, if you have it, you will feel safer. And BTW, your dealer should install and adjust your hitch for you as part of your prep. Mine did - MCD RV on Cape Cod, Mass, a wonderful outfit.

Bill

2swans
04-30-2002, 01:35 PM
mcyr, sounds like a wonderful TM ;). so glad it went so well. many happy TM trails to you for years to come.  sally(one of the 2swans) ::)

Bill
05-06-2002, 05:00 AM
Wade,
The brackets that come with the Equalizer and mount to the trailer frame must be 27" to 32" from the center of the ball coupler. The brackets remain with the frame. The hitch head and spring arms are removed when done towing. It takes between 1/2 to 1 hour to install and adjust. After the initial setup, it takes only a couple of minutes to hook up. You can get a free video about the equalizer from equalizerhitch.com

------------------------------
MCyr -

Let me summarize a long email I sent to Wade. The 27"-32" measurement you mention shows that the brackets will mount on the A-frame just fine. The other question is this. When the unit is hooked up and ready for travel, the Equalizer spring bars appear to rest quite close to the underside of the A-frame beams. How far below them? With the swing-away tongue, the steel pins that secure the tongue protrude about 1-1/2" below the bottom of the A-frame beams. Will they interfere with the movement of the spring arms as the vehicle turns?

Bill

05-06-2002, 10:31 AM
:D

Although we ordered our Trailmanor in February, we were able to run the Trailmanor through her paces just last week-end.  The hands-free shower device (courtesy of Hal) worked great.  We also found out that the two of us and two dogs are comfortable (but we definitely wouldn't have wanted to go with a smaller unit) for an extended stay.  The toilet was used for the whole week-end and we were just approaching "full" when we "dumped" prior to breaking camp.  I used 8 oz of Campa Chem (blue - formaldehyde) and we had no odor problems whatsoever.  In all, I was actually pleased with the re-circulating toilet, since I had some reservations about using it for "solid" waste.  Thankfully, I had read in one of the forums about the toilet fuse (within the toilet itself) blowing because of its 5A rating.  I already had a box of 10A slow blow fuses on hand due to my prior research.  Instead of a "disaster," I was able to get the facilities "back on line" within minutes.

The air conditioner seemed to work fine, but I'm a little concerned about its power to cool the trailer when the mercury begins to approach the 90 degree range.  (we experienced only upper 70s during our week-end).  It may work fine, but I would have expected a cooler interior with the AC on Max given the relatively mild temperatures.  We were set up in an area with no shade, however.  Time will tell.  I'm sure we will find out sometime in July if the AC is adequate or not... ;D

Eggshell foam on the King Bed made it every bit as comfortable as our "home" bed.  I particularly enjoyed the rain we got last night as it lulled us to sleep.

Refrigeratior works great on all three power sources, but I can see that a DC operation is really only feasible when hooked up to a running vehicle.  It was pouring rain when we arrived back home so I unplugged and waited for the rain to stop before setting up in our driveway.  During the approximately 1 hour the fridge ran on the internal battery it brought the power level down to "F" on the battery checker.  The fridge worked great as far as keeping things cool.

When we go boondocking later this summer, I'm pretty confident we could last a week-end without hook-ups.  We may try to find a secluded campsite and give my theory a test.

Traveling is still great.  I was doing 60-65 on the interstate when I was passed by a bus (greyhound style) doing what must have been close to 80.  I could see the trailer move to the left about six inches (the start of sway?) but I really didn't feel anythhing.  I had my hand on the brake controller, "just in case" but we went merrily on down the road.  I will add sway control in the near future, "just in case," even though there doesn't appear to be a problem.

My backing skills are much better now also.  I don't know who came up with the: "Move the bottom of the steering wheel in the direction you want the trailer to turn" thing, but it works great.  I'm now backing like a pro!  (Well maybe not a pro, but at least not like an incompetent idiot ;))

Looking forward to our weeks vacation in July and other "weekend excursions" in the future.  Happy camping to all!

05-06-2002, 01:43 PM
We found no problems with the A\C except the theromostat cuts the compressor off before it really needs to. You don't want the coil to freeze, but if you have an indoor/outdoor digital therm. (<$20, Walmart, RadioShack) you can see what the coldest air output is. Compare this to your tow vehicle A\C. Plus the numbers are always good to know in case you think you have trouble with either later. I think the problem is that warmer air has a hard time getting to the return air inlet on these TrailManors. I close my rear air outlets in the daytime to send as much cold air forward as possible. We also use a fan to blow warm air from up front back to the bed area. Some type of duct system to get the air up front would be handy.

05-08-2002, 11:14 PM
We found no problems with the A\C except the theromostat cuts the compressor off before it really needs to.

I found that to be the case as well.  I have been testing the AC in mild temperatures (mid 70s), so my question is:  When the temperature starts getting in the 80s and 90s, does the compressor run longer before cycling off?  Just curious

Happytrails
05-20-2002, 03:15 PM
Dan, glad to hear about your shakedown weekend.....still waiting on mine....as for the "eggshell" thing on the bed....well, I went straight out and got one even before I got my TM home.....and now that it's home in the driveway set up, I'd have to say that was a lifesaver.....lol, or a backsaver anyway having slept on it one night! Thanks for bringing up the AC questions.......mine didn't have one in it....(mine has the cabinet mount one) For me, it's a tradeoff of BTU's and if it'll run off my generator. And YUP! It even rained on our first night in the driveway.....and it didn't leak....not one drop! (see my upcoming web page, and you'll REALLY be impressed with what you have......trust me). Lulled me right back to sleep.........and no, I think 12v is JUST for travelling only.........for the reefer.........Lol, and I don't know who it was in here that said something about using the bottom of the steering wheel, but I've found it VERY useful as I have a new boat that I'm learning to back up to......tho now gotten the hang of it for the most part! (Yep, you HAVE to back a boat up to put it in the water!)