PDA

View Full Version : Covering Vent of Wall Air Conditioner

09-16-2001, 01:20 PM
I have a 2720SL.  On our last camping trip, I noticed cold air was coming in through the vent for the wall air conditioner.  Does anyone know of a solution of how you can block the vent from the outside?  I am looking for something that is easily removed.  Someone previously recommended magnetic vinyl but the vent is aluminium and magnetic vinyl will not adhere to the vent.  Any other suggestions?  

hal
09-16-2001, 02:17 PM
It was I who mentioned using magnetized vinyl.  Yes it is true that the grille is aluminum.  I had thought of searching for a steele grille that matches in size but haven't found the time yet.  My concern with anything but aluminum is that it might be too heavy, causing the screws to vibrate out and thus dropping the grille on the highway.  Pop rivets could be used instead of screws but I have found that they are softer than the steele and the grille may grind through them.

Presently, I have installed snap buttons and can attach a vinyl (nagaheide) cloth to the opening.  We recently camped in a very cold windy spot.  This cover prevented wind from entering our trailer through the grille.  It looks fine and works well.  I placed about six button snaps across the top and three at the bottom.  I felt that I didn't need them on the sides. Snap buttons come in two types, one attached using screws and the other using pop rivets.  I chose the latter.  The snap buttons come in a package of six or between six and seven dollars.  If you wish to have me send a picture, please let me know.

hs

MMARFISI
09-17-2001, 06:21 AM
Try cutting a piece of vinyl to a size that covers the vent.  Buy some self sticking magnetic strips.  Mount these along all sides of the vent and glue or sew some small magnets to the cover.  You could use some spray paint on the magnet strip mounted to the TM so they don't show very well.  Should work just fine in camp but not on the road, so be sure to remove it during your shut down.

You could also use some Velcro strips

hal
09-17-2001, 06:32 AM
Mike, I have tried the Velcro strip idea.  I t works pretty well but does pull off when removing the vinyl sheet.

09-17-2001, 01:47 PM
It was I who mentioned using magnetized vinyl. Yes it is true that the grille is aluminum. I had thought of searching for a steele grille that matches in size but haven't found the time yet. My concern with anything but aluminum is that it might be too heavy, causing the screws to vibrate out and thus dropping the grille on the highway. Pop rivets could be used instead of screws but I have found that they are softer than the steele and the grille may grind through them.

Presently, I have installed snap buttons and can attach a vinyl (nagaheide) cloth to the opening. We recently camped in a very cold windy spot. This cover prevented wind from entering our trailer through the grille. It looks fine and works well. I placed about six button snaps across the top and three at the bottom. I felt that I didn't need them on the sides. Snap buttons come in two types, one attached using screws and the other using pop rivets. I chose the latter. The snap buttons come in a package of six or between six and seven dollars. If you wish to have me send a picture, please let me know.

hs
Hal

I would like to see a picture of your solution to covering the vent.  My e-mail address is [email protected].

Thanks

Larry_Loo
09-17-2001, 04:13 PM
I do not recall exactly how the outside grills for the side-mounted air conditioners are attached to the trailers. I assume that the grills are attached by screws - e.g. sheet metal screws - to the outside panel of the trailer. One permanent solution would be to remove the grill and attach anchor nuts (or nut plates, in aircraft parlance) to the outside panel around the margin of the rectangular or square opening. You can purchase "floating" anchor nuts with 2 holes on opposite sides of the nut (the nut floats within a small sheet metal housing). These anchor nuts come in sizes such as 6-32, 8-32, 10-32 and larger. A hole moderately larger than the diameter of the screw being used is drilled where you wish to fasten a screw to the panel. An anchor nut is centered on this hole and 2 outboard holes are drilled for the pop rivets. The floating nut compensates for any slight misalignment of the screw holes, or, even slight angulation of one part against the other. Then you can fabricate a lightweight panel of thin plywood, masonite, or aluminum with attachment holes to match the pattern of the anchor nuts. If the grill protrudes out slightly beyond the surface of the outside panel - as many do -you will have to fabricate a flange or built-up edges so that you have a dish-like cover. If you know someone who has access to a sheet metal brake, you can make an aluminum cover that will look very professional. When sanded smooth and painted with enamel paint, however, even a plywood cover can look like a factory-made one.

The anchor nuts are available at some well-stocked hardware stores and at all aircraft supply houses - such as Aircraft Spruce, Corona, CA (800) 824-1930 or Griffin, GA (800)831-2949. If you can't find them in your local hardware stores and would like to see what anchor nuts look like, send me a self-addressed envelope and I will send you a copy of a catalog's page that shows them. Anchor nuts cost from $.18 to $.50 each for the smaller sizes. My address is P.O. Box 395, Clovis, CA 93613-0395. ;D

MMARFISI
09-18-2001, 07:58 AM
Hal...you asre right about the Velcro pulling loose. I solved that problem by using "Liquid Nails" adhesive to mount it.  Never had a problem again.  Another solution is you add some small sheet metal screws to the Velcro.  I think yopu'll find that thje liquid nails works great.

MawCraig
05-21-2002, 07:59 AM
Were the snaps attached to the wall of the camper or to the framework of the grill?

2swans
05-21-2002, 09:56 AM
dale had home depot cut a piece of 1/8 thick clear vinyl(looks sorta like a very thin clear kitchen cutting board). he then unscrewed the TM vent screws and placed the clear cover over vent(he had predrilled 4 holes to match vent screw holes). then he screwed on the clear cover. it looks wonderful(can hardly tell it's there) and is easily removed. has not had a problem with it on the road. be sure to cut the piece a little larger than vent, so holes drilled won't be too close to vinyl edge.  hope it helps. works for us. i'm sure these other ideas may be better. ours is pretty low-tech.  ::) 2swans

05-21-2002, 10:19 AM
I bought a piece of vinyl coated fabric similar to placemat material, cut it to size, and just used an off white tape around the periphery.

In the event AC need to be used, just rip it off and carry a roll of tape in the camper.   This is pretty simple, non-permanent, and works well [if AC is seldom used].