PDA

View Full Version : Is it safe?

05-28-2002, 03:42 PM
Hi, newby here......Does anyone have any experience with the TM as far as people on oxygen.  We will be attending a family reunion in 2 weeks  (first trip with TM)and have an elderly family member who has to be on oxygen all the time. Is it safe to have in the 2619 with all the pilot lights?  
Thanks for any suggestions.     Ness

05-28-2002, 07:34 PM
Ness,

Unless I'm missing something I can't think of why having someone on oxygen would be a problem.
The oven/burners needs to be lit by hand; the furnace and water heater combustion is outside the living space. Plus, unless there is a tremendous leak in the oxygen system, by the time the oxygen gets to the flame of the burners it would be part of the air and combust normally.

I'm not as smart as I used to be but I say invite them aboard.

Dick_B

Larry_Loo
05-29-2002, 05:04 AM
Ness,
Most people who require supplemental oxygen and also are able to travel or go about their daily tasks usually will only need about 2 to 4 liters per minute of oxygen. Since their respiratory systems convert some of this to carbon dioxide, the additional amount of oxygen added to the air inside your TM is very minute. Because of their folding features like the many velcro flaps, TMs' considerable air leaks make it less likely that oxygen would accumulate inside the trailers. Therefore, I doubt that the normal, 21.8% oxygen concentration of the air inside a trailer would even increase to 22% because someone inside it were breathing supplemental oxygen.

Having your family member on oxygen inside your TM should not pose a risk to you. Make sure, however, that no one close to him smokes a cigarette - as there is a small danger of it flaring up. As a physician, however, I believe that it is hazardous for anyone to be smoking, any time, even out in the open!  :-/

05-30-2002, 03:10 PM
Thanks to Dick_B and Larry_Loo for the helpful information.  I am ready to go and can't wait to invite the family in, and of course the TM is a smoke free environment  :D    
      Ness