PDA

View Full Version : Dry Camping and charging the house Battery?

06-10-2002, 02:10 PM
I am new to the RV world, and even newer to the TrailManor world. I just purchased a '98 2720SL last week.

If the tread had not seperated from the tire when the dealer was delivering it and did a bit of damage, I would already have my TM.

My question is, when I am dry camping and my house battery is getting low what are my options for charging?

Is there any reason I cannot just connect the TMs wiring harness to my tow vehicle and start it up to charge the house battery?

If my understanding was correct the House Battery does recieve a charge from the tow vehicle when connected.

I already have a remote starter on my vehicle that will allow my vehicle to run without keys, but cannot be driven or moved without the keys. In addition, I can set my remote starter to run for a set amount of time, and then shut off automaticly.

I don't plan on doing much dry camping, so I don't want to buy or haul a generator I will barely ever use.

Dave

06-11-2002, 10:44 AM
d,

When using a straightforward trailer wiring your batteries will be normally in parallel.

you can charge your trailer battery from the vehicle although at idle your charging current will be a function of what your alternator can put out at idle -- but your wiring will probably be limiting anyhow.  Figure if you can get 30 amps continous into the battery, it would take about an hour to charge a half-discharged battery.

06-11-2002, 01:00 PM
We just run a plug from the trailer harness to a heavy cigar. lighter plug in the truck.  Truck recharges the next day while driving.  Have never run house battery dead using this method.

Happytrails
06-11-2002, 04:05 PM
John, unless you have an isolator on, if you're trailer is plugged into your tow vehicle, it'll draw current, no need for the cigar lighter thing. (Of course this might be the case....having an isolator). David, bear in mind, if you don't have an isolator, and engine isn't running in the tow vehicle, you might run your battery dead in the tow vehicle.