PDA

View Full Version : Battery Ventilation

KB7OUR
06-10-2002, 01:56 AM
Is battery ventilation sufficient when charging the battery in a closed TM? The reason I ask is because I don't see where gas can escape when the vent is covered by the rear shell.

Wade

Larry_Loo
06-13-2002, 03:27 AM
Is battery ventilation sufficient when charging the battery in a closed TM? The reason I ask is because I don't see where gas can escape when the vent is covered by the rear shell.
----------

Wade,
It may be worth a phone call to the TM factory to ask them whether or not it's safe. I suspect that it's not dangerous since TrailManors appear to leak a lot of air, even when closed. In a forum message a few months ago someone mentioned that his late-model TM was equipped with a charging plug to allow charging while the trailer was closed. Perhaps the factory has designed some kind of battery venting system when the late-model TMs are closed. If your next replacement battery is an absorbed glass mat (AGM) battery, you won't have to worry about the hazards of vented gases - since AGM batteries reabsorb the gases that would otherwise be given off.  ???  ???

Happytrails
06-13-2002, 10:29 AM
I don't see why.....my boat has a built in charger, in a very confined space right next to the ol gas tank with no ventalation....Two batteries on one side for the trolling motor, one on the other for starting/running the stereo and depth/fish finders....Haven't had any problems or reasons to worry.   ;)

Happytrails.......