PDA

View Full Version : Michigan HELP!!!!!

Speckul8r
02-08-2006, 12:17 PM
This July, the DW and I will be going to Wisconsin for her family reunion and we'll return to VA via the UP and then head straight down the middle of Michigan. I want to stop and sightsee around Makinaw City for several days. Does anyone have some campground suggestions for this phase of the trip? We generally like to stay in state and federal sites. Maybe some fishing recommendations in the UP?? The fly rod goes where I go.

Grouse
02-08-2006, 04:24 PM
Hope you enjoy your trip!

Two campgrounds that I recommend are:
Straights State Park in St Ingace, MI, but only if you are able to get a lakeside campground. Can watch the freighters trade through the straights.
Wilderness State Park just outside of Mackinaw City is a wonderful place to camp. Away from the craziness that is Mackinaw City and a wonderful Michigan State Park experience.

To make a reservation try http://www.midnrreservations.com/campgrounds/index.cfm

If it isn't in your plans be sure to take a ferry over to Mackinaw Island. If health/weather/time permits rent a tandem and take the 10 mile ride (on paved roads) around the Island.

ameridan
02-08-2006, 04:51 PM
I highly recommend Mackinaw Mill Creek Camping (http://www.campmackinaw.com/) . You can admire Mackinac Island and Mackinaw Bridge from the campground lakefront, and not just 100' of access, I'm talking a mile along the lake!

Check it out. As I recall the State Park doesn't have all the amenities.

Speckul8r
02-09-2006, 07:29 AM
Thanks for the replies!! TheTahquamenon Falls State Park sort of jumped out at me. Any BUZZZZZZZZZZZZ on this spot?

So many places, so little time!! :new_Eyecr

musicman
06-07-2006, 05:56 PM
We didn't stay at the campground, but the Falls themselves are definitely worth the trip. Check them out! You won't be sorry!:D
Dan M.

Speckul8r
06-08-2006, 11:05 AM
We've reservations at T. Falls State Park. Will let you know how it goes when we get back.