PDA

View Full Version : Older Models

oilspot
06-12-2002, 01:38 AM
Every once in a while I come across some older model TM for sale, using the old model number designation.

Does anyone have any information on how I can interpret the older model numbers and their floor plans?  For example a model 25?

Also about when did they start offering slide-out models?  Have the slide-outs been generally as reliable as the regular TMs?

06-12-2002, 03:37 AM
Oilspot:

I have a 1991 M23.  The floor plan matches their 2720 model, so I looked at the spec of the models on TM's website and this is how I do the conversion.

The 2720 has:

Equivalent trailor size-open: 27'
Towing length-closed:           20' 3"
Bodly length-open:                23' 11"

Therefore, the new model number 2720 uses
Equivalent trailorsize/Towing length-closed spec for the model number.

Which means the old model numbers (M23) uses the Body length-open spec (at least the foot part of the measurement) for the model number.

Hope that helps

Gary

Happytrails
06-12-2002, 09:48 AM
Mine's a M25, the equivelent to a 3023.............1986 btw.......One note to mention tho, mine has a shower, but no tub, the shower curtain wraps all the way around the bathroom, and there's a drain in the floor. My wardrobe is where the tub is supposed to be in the newer models........but for the most part, it's very similar.....oh, also, mine's only got a little 3 gallon water heater, and I'll have to do some pretty fancy plumbing work to get a bigger one in it...........(Flip the sink around and redo the drain stuff is all) Just a thought that others with newer models might not know about.

Happytrails.........

RickNewcomb
06-13-2002, 03:17 AM
Happytrails,

We also have a 3 gallon water heater and have found it adequate. I also have a teenage daughter who uses the shower and she hasn't run out of hot water. Though I have stressed the importance of shutting off the shower head while lathering up.

06-13-2002, 03:37 AM
Our '98 2720SL also has a 3 gallon water heater. The recovery rate on this unit seems to be very adequate. I have taken showers before and had no problem with the lack of hot water.

Happy Trails.........George

Happytrails
06-13-2002, 10:13 AM
Well, I'm glad to hear that the 3 gallons is just fine.  :D I was a bit concerned about that. Mine's so old, I dunno what happened to the company that made it, but it looks like a suburban, yet it has both suburban and atwood parts.....lol

Happytrails.......

Happytrails
06-13-2002, 10:21 AM
Oh, one thing to mention, not to beat a dead horse or anything, what they mean by "equivelent" trailer open is the way the TM goes out over the hitch for the extra room you wouldn't have on a regular travel trailer. Like in my case, including the hitch, which the industry standards include, to get 25' of living space with a regular travel trailer, the whole thing would have to be 30' long. I have to admit, tho mine doesn't have the luxuries of a bluebird, it's kinda funny I've got almost as much living space as my dad does in his 35' bluebird. (chuckle)  ;D

Happytrails............

arknoah
06-17-2002, 01:51 AM
Of course, as Ellen would quickly remind me, the showers we take in the TM are not like showers in our home with stronger water pressure and where you can leave the water on throughout the shower?  I was always taught to take a shower in the way TM encourages it:  get wet; turn off the water;  soap up' turn on the water; rinse.  Perhaps because you can take an adequate shower with far less than three gallons, the water heater has never been a problem for us, either.

oilspot
06-22-2002, 11:09 PM
We are currently considering:
   1996 TM 2720SL for ~$9,500 (not inspected yet), 30-day warranty
   1998 TM 3124KS for ~$10,000 (fixer upper), no warranty
   1999 TM 3124KS for ~$11,500 (not inspected yet), 30-day warranty

Our hottest prospect is the 1996 2720SL, because of location.  Does anyone know what the major differences are between the older models and the newer ones?  

I think someone mentioned the fresh water tank and hot water heater were smaller?  What year did they change these?

What do you think of the cabinet (side) a/c instead of roof air?
Do you still have enough storage space without that cabinet?

Is the storage under the bed big enough for blankets and/or pillows in a 2720SL?

Other than NADA, does anyone have experience with purchasing a 2720SL recently?  The ~$9500 would include brake controller and equalizer hitch and a 30-day warranty.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Gene
06-23-2002, 02:09 PM
One major change starting in the 1998 models is that the slide out floor is lower than they are on the earlier year model TMs. The entry door is easier to set up. It is a matter of pushing pins into side clips for the bottom half of the door. Crank down stabilizers are standard equipment. The couch has a simpler system in order to change it into a bed.  The plumbing hot and cold pipes are the type plastic that cannot burst if it freezes. Thats all 1998 changes that I can think of for now.

Happytrails
06-23-2002, 03:40 PM
Gene, mine's a 1986.....it has the same plumbing. (Stuff that resists freezing). The grey stuff.............

Happytrails...........

Gene
06-24-2002, 05:35 AM
Happytrails,
I tend to disagree with you. You have the old type of plastic plumbing. All later brand  of RVs manufactured now use plastic tubing that will expand instead of burst if it freezes. If I am wrong, please, somebody let me know.

oilspot
06-24-2002, 07:16 AM
I spoke to Jimmy Davis today about the older models.  Unfortunately he couldn't give me a rundown of when they changed/improved designs.

He confirmed that around the 1996 timeframe the made the following improvements:  6-gal water heater (vs 3-gal),  white window trim (vs black), radius instead of square (windows or trailer?), 20-gal fresh water tank (vs 11-gal), and prewired for stereo system.

Sounds like Gene's information is correct.

RickNewcomb
06-24-2002, 09:27 AM
I have a 1999 2619. I have the 3-gal water heater, black window trim, radius windows, 20-gal fresh water tank, and no prewired for stereo system.

I'm guessing the transition may have started in 1996. But in the 1999 model, I still have some of the older features.

Happytrails
06-24-2002, 10:09 AM
Well, mine's a 1986, as far as I know, it does have the grey plumbing....and nothing's bursted in it. But then again, there was antifreeze in the system when I first hooked everything up with the water and all. As far as the windows, I think that's something that changed in the 1987 models.....from square to radius. At least the 1987's I've seen on the net for sale had radius windows as opposed to square ones like mine. This was due to the fact that they stopped making the square ones. (Window manufacturers). As I inquired about it to Jimmy Davis, and he said I'd have to make my own to replace a broken one....which I did at a cost of only $15.00. Mine does have a 3 gallon water heater, but does have a 20 gallon tank. (Perhaps a difference in the model?!?) Dunno. Mine's also not prewired for the stereo, that's something I'll have to do myself, but shouldn't be a problem. With the shorter reefer, I have plenty of room for stuff.  :) One other change I've noticed in the newer TM's is the cove used where the wall meets the ceiling is much wider than the stuff in mine. it's almost 1.5"-2"wide, whereas mine's only 1" wide. (I ordered some from TM, and it was NOTICABLY wider.....I had to send it back).

Happytrails.....