PDA

View Full Version : Campgrounds near Mountain Home, AR?

gjc-99
01-08-2006, 05:01 PM
We are looking for a nice place to camp near Mountain Home, Arkansas. We would like to visit this area in the next few weeks if the weather cooperates. Any recommendations? Thanks!

Magdefrau
01-08-2006, 08:21 PM
Texas Camper is very much correct Petit Jean State Park is wonderful. Living near Mountain Home I would also add that Buffalo Point Park is equally a fantastic camping stop. It was once an Arkansas State Park. The feds took it over when they formed The Buffalo River National Park. The river and trails make for great outdoor activities. One trail wonder through the forest ending at a great over hang. In the ceiling is a hole twenty wide, you know that cold Iceage Indians had a great fire there. I'm sure a great tribe of Iceage Indians lived their. If you make it there look on the ground carefully, you will see flint flakes from the early humans efforts to tame this wild land with the point of a spear. There are no wall paintings like Petit Jean's indian cave but this is the only park that loose artifacts have been left for the rest of us to see. This park is generally closed during cold weather. It would be closer but still a hour from Mountain Home. Another fine park is Bull Shoals State Park which lays under a great dam that holds the White River back forming the lake called Bull Shoals. It is a treasure for those whom Trout fish. The sites hug along the white river below the dam. You need to call ahead several weeks. I go there during both warm and cold weather. This park is thirty minutes from Mountain Home. Arkansas have developed their state parks to a level of excellence which most likely is only matched. Mountain Home is next to Lake Norfork. My grandparents had a cabin their for years. I never camped there. Surely someone has build a nice private RV Park next to the lake and town. I remember that lake being clear, so clear that in the summer I would see fish ten feet down in the middle of the channel. But, now it's not that clear. It has really build up the last thirty years.

Glenn in TN
02-17-2006, 06:55 PM
I've stayed at a Corp of Engineers campground just below Norfork Dam. The weather was good, but we went to fly fish for trout and they were generating all weekend. There was a great youth "catch-and-release" area just off of the hatchery that my son loved (he caught some lunker rainbows). I think all the sites had water and electric and covered tables. All in all it was a great campsite. It is just a few miles south of Mountain Home. You should be able to find some info at

http://corpslakes.usace.army.mil/visitors/projects.cfm?Id=M412830

hope this helps