PDA

View Full Version : Loose Nuts & Bolts?

Grouse
01-08-2006, 03:32 PM
First off, I think this forum is truly wonderful! Clearly TM owners are satisfied and helpfut.

I currenty pull a 25' Sunline and am considering a TM. Frankly, the main appeal is the ability to use a smaller TV. Less capital outlay for the TV + $1000/yr+ potential savings in fuel costs is quite appealing. However, I have not been able to see one yet.

As I read thru the various forums, it seems as though "loose nuts and bolts" are considered normal. After owning the Sunline for 7 years I do not consider this a normal part of trailer ownership as it has not been an issue.

Have I pulled this out of context or is it a fact of TM ownership? If it is a problem is it due to no or very little frame to attach to?

Thanking all of you in advance for your help. Hope to make a trip to nearest TM dealer in the near future, but they are easily an hour away and not part of my normal travels.

al

Cateye
01-09-2006, 07:18 AM
You're correct in your assesment that "..."loose nuts and bolts" are considered normal...". However, there is really no excuse for this problem. I consider this to be a design and/or quality problem. From the day I picked up my trailer 3 years ago, I experienced loose, rusting and missing screws and bolts. I now keep a supply in the trailer and check them before every trip. I have also made some substitutions with self locking nuts and washers to help alleviate this problem.

Queeniereads
01-09-2006, 09:46 AM
I am not sure I really want to admit to having "a screw loose." But, in the camper, an occasional screw falls out, mainly from the stove area it seems, and we just put it back in. I do not think that happens more than ever 5th trip or so and it is usually one screw. Not really a huge concern, I think. What I love is towing low and being safe after a huge accident with a TT two years ago. I also admire the engineering that allows me to put up and take down the TM by myself if necessary. It is a good invention. Queeniereads aka Judi

tucsoncarol
01-09-2006, 01:45 PM
Yep, TM owners are a different breed. I find that most of the posters to this forum are exceptionally diligent with their units. This means that whether or not more nuts and screws come loose, more people notice, mention and fix them here than any other list or forum I've seen. Frankly, it is one reason I bought a Trailmanor. I knew I wouldn't be alone in even mundane issues. Also remember that TM owners tend to take their units to places a "regular trailer" owner wouldn't even dream of. This makes for more tension and torsion, therefore, more loose screws.

BrigCA61
01-09-2006, 05:45 PM
We've had our TM for almost a year now and have taken it on a dozen or more trips and have yet to find a screw missing/loose. I guess it depends on the type of terrain you are towing over and how fast you go over the rougher roads. We take it easy usually and go slow over pot holes, etc. I just figure if we don't, the contents will be moved around and I'd rather avoid that situation.

Brigitte

Magdefrau
01-09-2006, 06:08 PM
Get a used TM, I quess all the loose thing are lost now. This is an issue I have not found.

Grouse
01-14-2006, 07:54 AM
To all of you who chose to respond, thank you! Your comments are truly appeciated.

At times this forum can be difficult to read because it can and does give the impression that there are many and serious problems with TM. However, I realize that this is not really the case at all. It is not until you understand that the authors of the posts are HAPPY TM owners that a newbie to the forum like me begins to appreciate this forum.

It will be a few more weeks before I can make it to a new TM dealer in Coloma to see a unit for myself. Here in Michigan it is not just the time and the drive, but even snow may delay my visit. Even though they don't have a 2720SL that I think I may be interested in, at least I'll be able to see one with my own eyes.

Until then, I hope you all don't mind if I lurk as a trial member. The courtesy, respect and encouragement of the posters is a joy. The honesty, advice and helpful messages posted is a wonder.

Thank you,

al

Denny_A
01-14-2006, 12:22 PM
........It will be a few more weeks before I can make it to a new TM dealer in Coloma to see a unit for myself. Here in Michigan it is not just the time and the drive, but even snow may delay my visit. Even though they don't have a 2720SL that I think I may be interested in, at least I'll be able to see one with my own eyes. ...........

alAl, seems as if u may b uh yooper! :D I live south of the border and 50 miles east of Danny's Camperland in Coloma. Bought my '02 2720SL trailer there in Feb. 03. I think one can get a very good deal on any '05 units on site. The '06 models will probably be arriving in February, as was the case when I purchased. I got a HUUUUGE discount. All I had to do as penance was clean out a million or so "lady bugs" which had invaded during the fall!

Good folks at Danny's. I'm sure you will check that they'll be available and open when you arrive. Never know when fresh snow will provide an excuse to close the doors and hit the snowmobile trails.

Happy hunting

Denny_A

Bill
01-14-2006, 04:30 PM
Anodder yooper? Well, eh! Som of us bin yoopers for long time, don'cha know.

Bill

Grouse
01-14-2006, 05:00 PM
Sorry guys, I'm a troll. Only da yooper in spirit only. Unless spending most of October chasing pats in da UP makes me an honarary member?

Thanks for tip on Dannys. I wouldn't have thought about closing for sledding. Thought I might visit there in May when I'm passing through.

MidwestDave
01-14-2006, 06:59 PM
Yes, I too have been to Danny's. We had dealers closer (2 1/2 hrs.) but since we were going to visit my daughter in Wisconsin we decided to go to Coloma. He is building a new facility in Westfield Wi just 10 miles south of Coloma. We are picking up our new 2006/ 2720 there in the spring.
Believe me it is worth the drive! ;)

Midwest Dave
2002 Dodge Grand Caravan w/tow pkg

YWORRYDOG
01-15-2006, 06:07 AM
You all talking about the dealer in Coloma Wi. or the one in Coloma MI?
(Krenek RV Supercenter 6542 Ryno Road (exit 39 off I-94) Coloma Michigan.)

Grouse
01-15-2006, 08:04 AM
Just to be clear, I'll be visiting my "local" TM dealer in Coloma, MI when time/weather permits(clear now but will it be when I'm ready to go?). I'll be visiting Dannys in Coloma WI in May. Oddly, WI is actually easier for me cuz it is close to my normal travels, though easily 11+ hours away. The dealer in MI is on my to no place I normally travel to.

After seeing the list of dealers, I consider myself fortunate to be within 1 hr of a dealer (local). I'll be taking my time to be certain that I'm making the right decision, since I tend to hang on to things for a very long time. That is why the quality issue is HUGE with me. Unlike many of you who went from tent campers to the TM, I'm working in the oposite direction going from a hard side to a folding trailer.

I am fortunate in that I have a very serviceable RV now in a 13 yr old unit. But dry weight is 4115, 7000 GVWR. Add food & stuff and some water to the trailer, dogs and bikes or the tandem to the truck with occupants and I'm using maybe 6000# of my 7900# towing capacity on the truck. This allows for some underestimation by the factory on the weight and probably is more real life. Assming Ford is also too generous with their tow rating, I really don't have that much of a safety margin.

Maybe the TM wll give me the high level of quality construction that I insist on. If so, it offers a feather weight RV which allows me to downsize my TV which saves $$$$. All this an I can still enjoy camping! I can only wish.

At the other end I get an RV with side slideouts and a diesel puller, bad fuel economy (horrible when towing) and a very light wallet. Maybe I have a screw loose for even considering this option?

Looking forward to seeing a TM for myself.