PDA

View Full Version : The 'elegant' lamps in the front of the trailer

12-06-2001, 11:28 PM
Our lamps have worked sporadically from the beginning and steadily gotten worse.  They really don't work at all anymore, unless you hold the bulb down with your hand.  The white tube going from the bulb to the base is very loose and the lamps just seem really cheap.  Has anyone else had this problem?

hal
12-07-2001, 12:05 AM
Probably every TrailManor owner has had problems with these lamps.  As fancy as they are, they are a problem that the factory knows about very well.  I have even considered replacing them with something more sturdy.  The dealer in Ohio was very nice and responded to our complaint by immediately and without question, replaced them.  We still bow on knee to them before turning them on.  Some of the problem is derived from the lead contact on the base of the bulb.  The vibrations caused from the roads and highways smashes these contacts.  I touched a bit of solder on a couple contacts, filed it down so it wasn't too thick to "screw" into the socket and voilla, it worked.  In fact, even though we hold our breath each time we turn them on, they are still working.  We also changed our clock.  My arms are not long enough, even when standing on the tongue, to reach through one of the storage doors and then replace the batteries or change the time.  We were traveling through time zones with warp speed so that almost  each day we needed to change the time.  We went to Walmart and bought a wooden clock.  The grain and color match the trailer's panneling to a "T".  I installed a short piano hinge to the back left side and then attached all to the area that the original clock set.  To service the clock, we now jus swing the clock open like a door and do our thing.  To keep the clock latched and prevents swinging open, we stuck matching pieces of velcro, one to the clock and one to the cabinet.  I personally didn't like the looks of the original clock anyway.  Just like the troublesome lights, I would go for something less sissy.  (in fact I refer to the lights as my "sissy lights".  Anyway, the new clock looks like it belongs there and not in some cheap dance hall.

Hal

arknoah
12-07-2001, 12:51 AM
We haven't had that problem with our lamps, just as soon as we realized there was a second switch to the lamps in the forward vent opening.  They don't put out a great deal of light, however, so I think they're really better for atmosphere in one of the slideout units than in units with beds.

We have had problems with the clock, because of the jostling on the road.  Since my arms are pretty long, I have no difficulty in re-setting the clock once we arrive in new locations, and I actually like its look.  

I appreciate the info about how we might ensure that the clock is going well, with the soldering, etc.  

F. J. & Ellen

Bruce
12-07-2001, 02:32 AM
The elegant lights and the guage on the toilet have never worked from day one for us. If I shake the light it will work until someone closes the door!
I replaced the overhead tail light bulb type light in the living room of our slide out with a large size 2 tube ThinLite which provides excellent illumination. TM has the same light in the bathroom and I have never been able to figure out why they would put an expensive, energy efficient light in an area where it will get the least use?
We also have the smaller size ThinLites over the stove & sink and for reading in the chair I made a 12v reading light from an old high intensity light (remember those?). They have a 12v transformer in the base and use an automotive 12v tail light bulb. I bypassed the transformer and replaced the 110v plug with a 12v plug and then installed a 12v socket on the counter wall next to the chair. These lights are not available in stores any more having been replaced by cheaply built and dangerous halogen lights from overseas. I found one in an old lamp shop but thrift stores might occasionally have them. My wife likes the little reading light so much she wants me to make another one but I have been unable to find another high intensity lamp. :'(

Bruce Martin

12-07-2001, 02:38 AM
My guess on the bathroom light is, fluorescent lights are often used by mirrors because they give a more natural light for applying makeup and stuff like that. 8)

12-07-2001, 03:55 AM
:( mind have never worked either. we do a prayer and have made a game out of guessing how long they will stay on. i have been looking for a replacement system, when we go on our trips i often stop at various rv dealers and i have seen some nice lamps in some of the buses. i am wondering will they fit? i called jimmy davis about the lamps and believe me they are aware. he said they are replacing them...but i didn't ask with what. does anyone know?

hal
12-07-2001, 06:42 AM
Paul, first try putting a drop of solder on the bulb contacts.  Also if you are VEEEERRRY carefull, you can lift the contacts inside the socket.  Be sure the lights are not turned on or you might blow a fuse if your metal tool comes into contact the other contact.  Please realize you are also stretching your luck as the contacts in the bases are very brittle.  I don't know how difficult it would be to replace the electrical in the base.  Maybe that is the answer...... just replace the socket with a better one.

Hal

12-07-2001, 10:26 AM
I think these lamps aren't reliable because the little hoakey shade is supported directly by the bulb, so the bulb's contact in its socket takes a beating from the shade's mass and vibration.  It's always a challenge to turn all the rotary switches to find the combination where something hopefully lights up.

This summer we just about took care of these babies when we closed our 2720 with the front bed just a few inches from not being fully slid in.  The shades got a bit crumpled but the lamps still worked(?).  We learned that the bed should be pushed in from outside; not pulled in from the inside.

I think this thread has motivated me to explore alternative lighting to replace these.  thanks.

12-08-2001, 01:17 AM
Of course, I've had trouble with those lamps as well.  I replaced them. I found some similar lamps of better construction, at a local RV dealer's annual closeout sale.  They work well, but there is an issue.  The shades are not supported by the bulb, but are connected via a screw on brass finial.  The shades are slightly larger.  There's the "rub".  I must take the shades off anytime I fold the trailer up for travel.  This is not a problem for me, but I'm mentioning it for those of you that are thinking of replacing the fixtures.  

I believe there is a reason TrailManor decided to go with the units they did, that being clearance.  Have you noticed, most of the time when you first open up your TM the shades need to be adjusted. They are hitting the end of the trailer when it is folded up.  Aside from the quality issues mentioned in the previous discussion, I believe this factor leads to the failure of the contacts for the bulbs.  

If the factory has found an adequate replacement, that stays within the confines of limited clearance the slight outward slope the front shell provides, I would consider replacing the lamps once again.  However, the original shades are the smallest ones I've seen.  Perhaps they are going with something completely different.

happy trails...........George

12-08-2001, 02:30 AM
If anyone finds a good fix for this problem, please post it. I think the lamps are well positioned for reading in bed (the light over the bed shines in my eyes when lying down), but inevitably just as I get settled...Darkness.

I've considered replacing the candelabra style lights with a small flat light, similar to the overhead lights, but haven't spent much time looking.

12-08-2001, 10:14 AM
Replaced the "elegant" lamps with a higher quality pair ordered from Camping World.  They work great.

2swans
12-08-2001, 01:08 PM
today i was inside a '98 Hallmark truck camper. it had two front reading wall lamps that looked like they would work on a TM. they were light natural oak grain finish,s and would appeal to men or women. very simple,stylish, attractive.would match the oak cabinets i tho't. wonder if we could call hallmark and say we needed to replace our lights!! so far ours have worked fine, but i don't like them much. i made fabric sage green shades w pine cone motif to replace the little white shades.of course, some will like the TM lights, and that's great!

Chris_Bauer
12-08-2001, 11:45 PM
I'm not Irish but I guess we're lucky.  So far we haven't had any problems with the lights or the clock after 3000 miles.  In fact, we haven't had any problems with any part of the Trailmanor except for the initial walk-through last January when they replaced a malfunctioning LP Gas detector.  We like the lights for watching TV. Maybe a poll on who has problem lights and who doesn't might push TrailManor to make the change faster and offer those with problems an upgrade at a reasonable price.  Any takers?

12-09-2001, 09:44 AM
;D we spent the weekend in a campground/horse ranch and we were the only campers...really cool but weird. i used a clothes pin on both shades this weekend to keep pressure on the contact. it worked!

going on line to camping world to see what they have.

cardsfan39
12-11-2001, 12:04 AM
I'll add my name to the list of folks having a problem with the decorative lamps.  I couldn't get them to work in our used 3023 and they seemed a little flimsy.  When I damaged one closing the top I decided to replace them with a low profile lamps.  To my chagrin I couldn't get them to work either.  Thanks to FJ and Ellen for the tip about the switch on the vent I now have working lights!

12-15-2001, 11:17 PM
Alas, I had trouble too but took the lamps apart, worked on the contacts, and now they work, but.....
prior to that work sometimes the lamps worked sporadically and a jostling would turn them on. This made me think that the rotary switch in the vent must `always' be turned off when the camper is folded to be sure the lamps don't come on while traveling. The bulbs become very hot (you can't touch them when lit) and might cause a problem.
I don't think they disconnect when the trailer is folded up but someone might know different.

Dick B

Paul_Heuvelhorst
12-28-2001, 01:09 PM
I spent 3 years trying to keep those lights functioning.  I was ready to give up and replace them with better lights (from Camping World) when we decided to sell the trailer and move on.  I did one final repair to both lights (I have electronic/electrical background) so the new owner wouldn't have difficulty with them immediately.

Of all the good things that TrailManor has built into its trailers, these lights are a bummer.

01-18-2002, 03:31 AM
When we picked up our TM, one of the lamps didn't work.   The second one did, so I replaced the bulb.   This popped fuses so I put the dead bulb back into the "faulty" lamp.

One day when I had a bit more time, I took a closer look and guess what?   :o   These lamps use different bulbs than all the other 12v lamps in the TM.    A not-so-quick trip to Camping World and the lamp is fine now.

Bruce mentioned the toilet guage.  Following an old post Paul H. made on the old forum, I pulled the cap off the toilet and reassembled the float.  Then the darn thing fell apart again.  Just go to the Thetford site and order a new float.  Installs in about 10 minutes (pry the old one out, stuff the new one in).  Hopefully all the parts come out with the old one. :-X

07-01-2002, 03:21 AM
Just an update:  I tried adding solder to the lamp contacts, but soldering irons and I don't get along well.  So, out of frustration, I took my my moto- tool, put on the wire brush attachment and cleaned the copper contacts in the lamp, and bent them up.  Then I cleaned the contacts on the bottom of light bulbs and reinstalled them.  Poof!  They both worked great.  Now to see if it lasts...

07-01-2002, 03:55 AM
I have always been concerned (perhaps unnecessarily) that, if the rotary switch in the vent was left on when folding the RV and the lamp switches were left on, the lamps may jiggle on and the very hot lamp start a fire or something bad like that.
So, I make sure that the rotary switch is off as part of my folding up procedure.

Dick_B

What about replacing those lamps with twin lites?

Happytrails
07-01-2002, 12:24 PM
One thing interesting to note here that some might find interesting.......I don't have those "elegant" lights in mine. Instead, I've got two "airplane" like spotlights under the cubbord of that storage area where ya hang your clock........and they both work like a champ......  ;)

Happytrails........... 8)

KB7OUR
07-02-2002, 04:18 AM
Happytrails,

I have enjoyed the pics of your TM "remodel" progress. Could you post pics of the front lamps if it's not too much trouble?

Wade

Happytrails
07-02-2002, 09:51 AM
I can try Wade, but the problem I've run into is I've run out of web space, and the account I was to use the space for the overflow isn't working properly via AOHELL lol. What I might have to do is start deleting some of the redundant stuff where I have two - three pics of the same thing. But I'll give it a shot soon. As of this writing tho, the trailer is in the down position, and I'm going to have to get some help over here to get it up properly as there's NO wood or aluminum screwed down in the bottom of the front section....I.E. the only thing holding the front travel arms in place in the up position is the two peices of sheet metal that the travel arms go into, I have yet to get the pocket stops in it still in the very front. But as soon as I can get to it, I'll try to get a picture up there.

Happytrails.......