PDA

View Full Version : Any Equal-i-zer Brand Tow Hitch Users

KB7OUR
07-01-2002, 04:50 PM
Is anyone using the Equal-i-zer brand tow hitch with a 2720SL and swing away hitch combination? I'm looking to have one installed but am unsure if it will fit this model TM.

Wade

oilspot
07-01-2002, 11:19 PM
Save your money and get something that doesn't include a sway control.  The Equal-i-zer is expensive because of the integrated sway features.  A normal weight distributing hitch for your very light trailer should be all you need.

I've heard from several different sources that, more often than not, sway controls just mask the problem (i.e. you don't feel it) until the trailer does something drastic. like flip over.

My "new" 2720SL pulls great without a sway control.  I have one I can install if I run into problems, but I doubt I'll ever need it.  Some people here use sway control and are comfortable with it.  I am not.  

TrailManor goes to great effort to design the trailer to elminate sway.  I know it can be done because I remember the equation from my engineering school days.

KB7OUR
07-02-2002, 03:16 AM
Oilspot,

Have you pulled your 2720SL with full tanks? We went boondocking last weekend, first time to pull our 2720SL for any distance. Tanks were full, tow vehicle was a GMC Yukon XL (same as Suburban) and I experienced enough sway that I had to use the manual brake controller (Prodigy) a few times. On the way home, tanks empty, it seemed a lot better, but still a bit "twitchy" down steep grades and around corners. Speed was apx. 65 mpg. Most of the weight was forward of the axle...chair, 2 cabinets, tv, all resting on the slideout. Perhaps I am expecting too much to be seeking zero sway at 65-70 mph.

Wade

camperboy
07-02-2002, 04:12 AM
I am using a Equalizer on a 1990 TM 26 (same as a 3023). At first I just had a ball, no WD or sway functions at all. The Equalizer has made a huge difference. Now I hardly know the TM is back there except for the pressure on the acellerator. I tow it with a Ford Ranger, supercab, 4.0, 4.10 rear. I was glad I had the sway feature when someone nearly sideswiped my truck on the highway this weekend while I was towing and I hadto cut over onto the shoulder real quick. TM followed like a puppy. The equalizer's cost is close to a standard reese unit w/ friction sway bar from Camping World. Plus, some friction sway bars have a warning on them about using them in wet conditions! The equalizer cost 530 complete, including shipping to my door. It was really simple to install.

To check your swing away hitch, the brackets for the spring bars should be located 32" back on the frame from the center point of the ball. The directions say that this measurement can be somewhat less, but not more. If you would like me to check the instructions, post back here.

camperboy

Bill
07-02-2002, 05:33 AM
Wade -

I am very surprised that you experienced any sway at all with a Yukon as a tow vehicle. It just shouldn't happen.

Question: it sounds like the TM was loaded properly, but how was the Yukon loaded? I ask this because of specific personal experience. In the first part of this year, my wife and I put about 5000 miles on our 2720SL/Ford Explorer combination, with no hint of sway. (We have a WD hitch, but no sway control.) This took us from Maine to Scottsdale AZ, followed by a number of 2-5 day trips around Arizona. When we began our return trip to Maine on June 1st, I had driven less than a mile when I knew something was wrong. Turns out that the TM was packed the same as before, but we had put at least 500 pounds of stuff into the cargo area of the Explorer. After 20 miles, I knew it just wasn't going to work, so I stopped beside the road, folded down the rear seats, and moved the entire load forward, rearranging it so that the heaviest items were farthest forward. Presto - no further problems. We finished the 6000 mile trip from Scottsdale to Seattle to Maine with no hint of sway. This route involved the steepest curviest roads in California (think Sequoia/Kings Canyon NP), the straightest highest speed roads in Montana (think 75 mph), and the heaviest truck traffic that Illinois and Indiana could conjur up.

The lesson I took away from all this is that proper loading of the tow vehicle is almost as important as proper loading of the trailer. 'Course, the cat and dog, who expected to have back seat to themselves, weren't all that pleased ....

Bill

oilspot
07-02-2002, 05:59 AM
My towing experiences are limited to only about 300 miles so far.  However, my experience was quite positive without a sway controller.

The fresh tank and thetford were full, but I dumped the grey tank before travel.  Speeds were typical for interstate (kept it below 80mph) and included crossing one mountain pass (Mounteagle, TN).  Used low gear to keep speed below 60mph on switchbacks.

Everything worked well except the brakes (which I found out last night were way out of adjustment... did you know they need regular adjustment?).  I had to make one panic stop in a construction zone and everything handled well despite the brakes.

I am just using a WD hitch.

On the flip side, my little Starcraft pop-up (12' box) used to sway all the time if I wasn't careful about loading it.  It was a bear to pull when fully prepped for boondocking.  I went to buy a sway controller and the RV guy advised against it because of the danger treating the symptom rather than the cause.

This is just my $0.02.  

I am only throwing hat into this because the trailmanor engineers told me sway controllers are the easiest way to flip a trailer.  Something I have no interest in experimenting with...

KB7OUR
07-02-2002, 06:11 AM
Thanks to everyone who posted replies so far. Concerning the tow vehicle, I did have the back seat folded down and it was full back there. Probably a lot of weight near the back. Our Yukon XL has self-leveling shocks so does not really sag - pretty even with the trailer with the ball at 23". Perhaps sway was introduced due to heavier items being near the tailgate. If so, then a weight distribution hitch might be useful and forget the sway control component. Still, I'm telling you, it was not fun a few times to feel and see the trailer beginning to swing from side to side and wonder "how can this be?" with this towing combination.

Denny_A
07-02-2002, 10:51 AM
Wade,

I'm towing a 2720 sL with a Honda Odyssey. All I use is a $190 weight distribution unit. After 7000 miles of towing in less than 5 months - not a single sway concern. The weight dist. unit I bought can be seen at:

http://www.mooretruckaccessories.com/mooretruckaccessories/Weight_Distribution.html

It's basic, yet works like a champ - w/out sway control! I chose the 750# Deluxe Adjustable. Shipping about $30 from CA to WI - same as sales tax here. My TrailManor dealer sold the identical unit for much, much more.

My 2 scents (sic, uh huh).

Denny_A

KB7OUR
07-02-2002, 11:35 AM
Denny_A,

Do you have the swing tongue and if so, I assume there are no clearance problems?

Wade

Denny_A
07-02-2002, 04:02 PM
Wade,

Although I've responed privately, I'll respond here to keep the thread intact.

No, I don't have the SAT (swing away tongue).

Maybe someone else can resond, although I would not expect any clearance probs; assuming you mean placement of the "snap up brackets" on the trailer frame.

Denny_A