PDA

View Full Version : a good fan...

2swans
04-28-2002, 01:10 PM
i hope this hasn't been asked before--what have you found is a good fan to keep the AC air moving, esp. to the bed in the back of TM? we spent 9 days in a canyon last week, and it seemed the air stayed right in the hallway.(we found ourselves finding reasons to get in the hallway! we have duct tape holding our feddars frontpiece on all around , as the latch is broken. of course, it was 90+ degrees down there. this is our first time to use the AC. we'd like a heater+ fan so it could double in the winter as backup to the noisy furnace. thanks everyone!
2swans

mwgraham
07-02-2002, 04:00 PM
:DWe found a fan this past week at ACE Hardware and decided to give it a go last weekend camping. We were very satisfied with the results.  ;D
It is made by Lasko and is called the Wind Tower; Model 2115.
- It is a remote control oscillating space saver fan, 40" tall, vertical design (approx. 5" x5" square).
-stationary or 90 degree oscillation.
-child safety grills, lightweight.
- remote control or manual, programmable timer from 1/2 hour to 7 1/2 hours.
-3 natural air movements, continuous, natural breeze and soothing sleep (the breeze varies up and down automatically) :D ;D
-low, medium and high sppeds.
it fit nicely in front of the AC unit as well as the table top above the AC.

We also bought a half dozen 6" DC powered fans from Walmart when we are dry camping. They come in quit handy because you can position them where needed.

oilspot
07-03-2002, 01:22 AM
The wind tower sounds like it may be a better solition (depending on price I guess).

We got a nice Honeywell brand oscilating fan from HomeDepot last weekend for about $14.  It is a nice compact unit that moves a decent amount of air.  

I am also considering some type of removable deflector in front of the side A/C to direct the air up towards the ceiling.  This should improve our efficiency slightly, since heat rises (and cold air sinks).

All in all we were pretty happy last weekend with our unit.  It was in the mid 90's and we keep it about 72 in the TM.  We were parked in the shade though and full sun might be a different story.

As a side note, I removded the A/C and sprayed some coil cleaner on both sets of coils.  Now the old Fedders looks brand new, and seems to work a little better.

Be sure to keep an eye on your condensate drain if you have a side AC.  Don't want condensate in your cabinets.  Our drain had mud daubers in it.

Happytrails
07-03-2002, 10:43 AM
Well, I bought a used AC unit for mine, and after installing it, discovered that it seems to want to push all the air upwards and back towards the bed. (Side AC) What I did was cut the top off of a plain ole 20oz plastic coke bottle (where it starts to taper to the mouthpiece), then cut it in half lengthwise. Then I removed the front of my AC unit, placed the plastic bottle with the "bottom" of the bottle facing the rear section so it would blow forwards. Replaced the grill, and placed one of those simple box fans on the counter next to the bed. (Mind you, my wardrobe is where most people's tub is). The bottle fits just right in the main vent, and to change direction, I simply pop the cover off, flip it around, pop it on again...... :D

Happytrails......

2swans
07-06-2002, 04:58 AM
:-/gee, where were you guys when i needed you--(ha-just kidding).
since we didn't get a response on this thread, we ordered a vornado room circulator(10" i think) to move the AC air around a bit. seems like a great fan, but 14.00 sounds a lot better than what i paid.  thanks--we'll keep your fans in mind for the future 8).

Bruce
07-07-2002, 07:18 AM
2swans:
In the old spirit of Better Late Then Never I will reply anyway. Maybe someone else will find some helpful information on this topic.  ;)
We use a small 12 volt fan I purchased at Home Depot. It has no fan guard but the blades are made of a soft vinyl and don't hurt too much when a finger accidentally comes in contact. I think it came with a suction cup to attach it to a smooth surface but I adapted a spring clip off a reading light. It can be clipped on the top of the bath wall next to the bed to blow on the sleeping area at night.
We don't use it so much now that I installed a Fantastic Fan in place of the skylight/vent over the kitchen but it still comes in handy to blow away mosquitoes when we sit outside.
It's so small we just wrap the cord around it and store it in the cabinet next to the clock.

Bruce