PDA

View Full Version : D.C. and the Smithsonian

Speckul8r
11-30-2005, 07:09 AM
Stayed at the Prince William Travel Trailer Village at Dumfries, VA over the Thanksgiving weekend. The "Village" seems to be associated with the nearby NPS Prince William Forest Park. This is a rather urban setting with camp sites quite close together and small. It was very cold (27 for the low) when we were there so it cut down on the campground population tremendously. But it is very convenient for what we used it for. The metro is an easy 16 miles north on 95 and it takes about 25 min. once aboard to get to the Smith. Parking garage was free on the weekend and the metro fare was 1/2 off. The folks at the park were extremely friendly and helpful with all the maps and info you can possibly use. Very clean restrooms and hot showers. The pool was obviously closed while we were there but they have one. Don't know if I would want to stay here during the hi season unless it is just a home base to do the DC excursions. Living in the neighbors back pocket is not my thing.

Magdefrau
11-30-2005, 06:12 PM
This is a trip we plan next summer. Would like you to tell us more insight to visiting and touring in this area.

Speckul8r
12-01-2005, 10:40 AM
This was our first trip there with the TM. If you use http://www.woodalls.com/index.cfm?

You can search and find many campgrounds in the area. This one is south of the city not far off I-95 which made it easy for me coming up from the south. I didn't have to drive in the !@#$%^ traffic!! :new_all_c There are several other sites that intrigued me but didn't have time to do the recon. Pohick Bay and Lake Fairfax were 2 others I had in the back of my mind. Greenbelt, an NPS campground up in College Park, has no electric so that got written off this time of year real fast.

Frankly, for myself, I would never go to DC during the Hi season. Way toooooo much traffic and people. The Smith was not bad in the AM but after we got lunch............. Maybe it was the holiday weekend and everyone had the same idea that I had. I live only 3 hours out so it's easy for us.
If I can answer any specific questions, just e me or post. I'll try to help you out.