PDA

View Full Version : What black antenna-looking thing on the roof?

gjc-99
11-01-2005, 07:43 PM
We just purchased a nearly new 2005 2619 from a non-TM dealer. Everything seems to work, but neither the dealer nor I new what the small antenna-looking thing with the red LED was on the roof. I have attached a picture.

Carole
11-01-2005, 08:23 PM
Perhaps an antenna for your FM radio?

i just looked at our 2619 TM 2004, it does have the same antenna and in the same location.

Carole

11-01-2005, 09:21 PM
You are looking a an amplified am/fm antenna for your am/fm radio if you have one and if you don't have one you will have an antenna all ready when you get one.
Bill

Bill & Lisa
11-01-2005, 09:50 PM
confirming what the last post said...it is an antenna for your radio but you can tell folks it is an alarm system if you want :)

Queeniereads
11-02-2005, 08:00 AM
If that antennae should fall off abd dangle by the wire, you can restick it with two-sided tape (heavy duty) and it will stay in place. Ours did and we did! Queeniereads aka Judi

BrigCA61
11-02-2005, 09:07 PM
Does the radio antenna always stay on (red light on top) and if so, can it be turned off somehow? I would think it always has a small drain on the battery.

Bill & Lisa
11-03-2005, 12:52 AM
There is no easy way to power down the antenna. I suppose one could install a switch in the wiring to the unit but the draw of one LED light is not much (same as an alarm system light in a car). While not a problem in a car most cars don't go unrun for sometimes months at a time. I served in the Navy and never heard of anyone having a problem following a long cruise due to their alarm LED but I can't say for certain it "could" not be a problem over the course of months vice days. Anyone have any practical experience with this?

mjlaupp
11-03-2005, 09:39 AM
Here is a solution to power down the radio antenna if you install a radio in the provided location. I posted this in a thread about battery conservation.
"I found that the radio antenna power lead is spliced to the radio power lead at the back rear of the fridge compartment. Remove the upper fridge vent, remove the two screws holding the plywood panel over the fridge cooling coil to access this area. I removed the splice between the two wires and extended the antenna power lead to the front of the cabinet where I connected it to the power antenna wire coming from the radio. Now the antenna is only powered when the radio is on. My Kenwood radio has a function switch to select radio, tape, CD changer/aux input and standby. The standby selection keeps the clock display running. If I hold this function switch down for several seconds, the power is turned off to the radio except for a very small current required to retain my button and tone settings and the internal clock time. I don't have enough battery drain to worry about and my radio clock is always set."
If you don't have a radio installed, remove the 12 volt fuse for the radio circuit.
Mike

BrigCA61
11-03-2005, 10:07 AM
Thank you, that's very helpful information.