PDA

View Full Version : Maxxair Vent Covers

07-16-2002, 04:57 PM
I did a search to see if this was covered in the past and couldn't find anything. My question. I have a 2000 3023 that I want to put Maxxair vent covers on. I bought a cover and had it in the garage for more than six months. Today, I got out the ladder and was going to install the cover when I noticed that the vents are not mounted directly to the roof but instead to a board which raises the vent up off the roof. With this type of installation I am 1) not able to get the Maxxair cover to go over the wood spacer and 2) the brackets would not mount as per the instructions. Rather than try to immediately jury rig something I thought I would ask how you all have done it on your rigs.

Larry P. Steinmetz
Battle Ground, WA

07-17-2002, 02:16 AM
It was covered before, but I think it was in one of the previous forums and may have dropped off.  I took the brackets and put another 90 degree bend in them using my vise and was able to install them after that.  

07-17-2002, 03:38 AM
Thanks trainguy2. Did you have to modify the wood spacer at all. My cover won't guite fit over the wood due to it being bigger than the vent and having square corners. I was thinking of sawing off the corners to more resemble the shape of the vent but am leary without checking with the veterans of this installation first.

Thanks.

oilspot
07-17-2002, 04:58 AM
My MaxAir cover is bolted to the top of the wood spacer.  This means there is a slight gap at the bottom of the cover, but I figure this is a mute point since the main purpose is keeping water out of the vent...

07-19-2002, 01:00 AM
It's been  while since I did mine, but I thought I drilled my holes into the metal frame of the vent.  I don't remember any problems fitting the cover, but as previously mentioned, there is a small gap under the cover, but it is of no concern because the vent is already sealed.

07-19-2002, 01:33 AM
Yes, MAXAIR instructions instruct that the Vent Cover be mounted to the metal frame of the vent.  My installation was particularly  interesting as I mounted a TurboMax Unit over the vent of my TM.  The opening on them is even larger then the standard vent cover.  As it has a thermostatically controlled, variable speed, reversible fan built in, it was necessary to provide a good seal so the air would be channeled into the TM when set to "intake".  So, I built a frame using the new "plasticized" decking boards now available and "siliconed" it to the roof in a tight fit around TM's already built up lift.  The inside edges of the frame needed to be beveled to avoid water standing between the two frames.  No need to fasten it down other than the silicone, as minimal structural strength was needed, due to the fact the cover was fastened to the metal frame of the vent.  I removed one of the two 12 v lights to install the controls.  Looks good, works good.

Happy trails.............George