PDA

View Full Version : Magnetic Cloth

07-28-2001, 01:31 PM
Once someone mentioned using magnetic cloth to cover the opening to a wall-mounted air conditioner.  Where do you purchase this?

hal
07-30-2001, 03:12 PM
:In Colorado, we have Ace Hardware stores that sell magnetized vinyl.  It is the type that sign makers use for making signs that adhere to car doors.  Sign makers have it also but it is far more expensive there.  By the way, your vent cover for the airconditioner is aluminum.  Magnetic cloth will not adhere to aluminum.

08-01-2001, 03:56 PM
If you decide you want some magenetic sheet material anyway, I bought mine (for magnetic racing stickers) at Dick Blick art supplies.  ( http://www.dickblick.com )

It comes in many colors, 24" wide and is sold by the foot at around $5 per foot.

Jon

08-03-2001, 12:42 AM
I tried the address for thingyblick, but it doesn't work.  Jon, would you please check it again and see if all the characters are correct.

Paul_Heuvelhorst
08-03-2001, 03:06 PM
I'm puzzled as to why Jon's message shows "thingyblick" when I put it in quotes to respond the address comes up correctly, "Ricard Blick Art Supplies." :o Since this is a "family" BB, the 4-letter nickname for "Richard" shows up as "thingy".

When I first saw Jon's response, I reached back into the recesses of my public school supply purchasing experience (retired 2 years ago) and thought, "Hey, that is the old Richard Blick Art Supply Company. Sure enough, when I put in [www.(put in 4-letter nickname for "Richard" here)blick.com] the right website came up. ;D

Jon is correct, $4.85 per running foot, 24" wide in a variety of colors.

Mike, you will need to attach something to the corners of the AC vent that is made of iron so the magnetic material will adhere... shouldn't be too difficult if you find a sheet of galvanized tin and make some 2" squares attached with screws at the corners of the vent. 8)

hal
08-03-2001, 03:50 PM
I went to the trouble of painting 1/2" strips ofmetal which I used in framing around the current aluminum vent which covers the air conditioner.  This was not enough for test pieces to stick and cover the vent.  I am going to experiment more, with off the trailer metal to see just how much wider the metal must be to support the magnetic cloth.  It is good to know that Dick Blick is a source for this cloth but will still go to local hardware store  for this need.

08-04-2001, 06:59 AM
Ha!  That's just too much!!  The folks at "thingy" Blick would get a kick out of that!  I guess somebody will go out now and buy a new domain name.   ;)

I hadn't noticed the name munge after I made the post -- of course, you need to fix the URL yourself.

I've been using netnews, forums, etc for 25 years, this is a new one!!!

;D ;D
Jon

Chris
08-04-2001, 02:00 PM
Okay, the board is pretty smart.  It substitutes thingy for d*ck and subs other "offensive" words.  We run a clean ship here. ;)
Ct..

08-04-2001, 03:40 PM
:) Talk about getting off the subject :)

Anyway, I never would have given it a second thought, but come to think about it, the board would have no way to know the context the word(s) are used in.

Seems everyday, I learn something. :)

Mack

07-30-2002, 12:30 PM
Among the many things my wife purchased to make our new 2720 more "homey" were a couple of refrigerator magnets.
Only place they would stick was on the side of the microwave she purchased. So now we call the microwave the"magnet holder".
Dave