PDA

View Full Version : Stove Top vs Range-Oven

Chris_Bauer
06-08-2002, 01:50 PM
Since we bought our TM in Jan. 2001, we have only used our oven once.  That one time it worked great and I have no complaints.  I would like to know how often the rest of you use it.  

I have thought about swapping it out for a stove top and converting the oven area into cabinet space.  However, I am not using the TM full-time yet or more than once a month weekends and our 3 trips a year.  

Comments-

Chris ??? ???

Happytrails
06-08-2002, 02:09 PM
Well, from what I understand, most people don't cook a lot inside travel trailers.....it gets messy, and heats the trailer a lot with the gas stove and all. (being most people use theirs during the warm summer months). My best advice here is to just use yours for a while and see the tradeoff's. The question you asked is one only you can answer.......after all, it'd be you having to make the modifications.........Fair enough?

Happytrails......

arknoah
06-10-2002, 02:04 AM
In truth, we've probably used our oven only once of twice all last season, for the reasons Happy trails mentioned, especially heating up the trailer.  Using that space for something practical like extra storage is an intriguing idea.

RickNewcomb
06-10-2002, 01:50 PM
Everyone camps differently, that what makes camping so fun. But we do use our oven a good amount. Often enough that we wouldn't want to be without it. But we do have our favorites like:
   cinnamon rolls in the morning, :D
   garlic bread with pasta,  :D
   and taco shells.  :)

Early and late in the camping season when it is cooler, we like slice and bake cookies in front of the campfire with hot chocolate.  ;D We've even made apple crisp. ::)

It seems with the children, if we bake something they like, it them becomes a tradition. So, frequently before we go camping they usually have their requests.

However, our first season camping we used it very little. But over time we've used it more and more.

We've found with the fan vent, we can usually get the inside of the trailer equal to the outside within 30 minutes of shutting the oven off.

I'm sure if you dry camp, the consumption of electricity from the fan would be a factor.

oilspot
06-10-2002, 02:50 PM
The TM we are looking at is pretty dirty and needs lots of cleaning and TLC; but the oven is spotless.  This observation leads me to believe that the oven was never used.

However, (if we buy the trailer) I think the oven is worth keeping and we would use it occasionally.  Mostly during the cooler months (spring or fall for us).  In the summer, we like to cook or grill outside.

Just my $0.02

2swans
06-11-2002, 12:57 AM
i'm with the newcombs on this one! we have only had our TM since august, and have used the oven on 5 or 6 occasions. muffins, coffee cake, pizza, scones, pumpkin pies, etc. we had a VW Vanagon for so long--no oven--so we really enjoy it. it's the ONLY time we get get to splurge on baked goodies, 'cause we burn the calories mt. biking and stream wading and canoeing. i like ovens--we even take an outback oven when we backpack! KEEP those ovens, folks! 2swans 2cents.

p.s. we've added a half pint microwave to TroutManor to heat up milk for lattes...got it at garage sale for 5 bucks. like new.

KB7OUR
06-11-2002, 02:25 AM
We picked up our new 2720SL on Friday. Lovin' it so far.

Any problems with the oven burning the bottom of food?
If so, any remedies?

Also, I have the black stove burner cover and it does not stay upright for cooking. Am I doing something wrong?

Wade

Happytrails
06-11-2002, 05:19 PM
Newcombs? Hey, can we go camping with you guys? (Just kidding) FJ and Ellen, yup, got one of those outback ovens, aren't they neat? Been using one for years tho it's about time to replace the hood on mine.......again, to each their own.........my 2c worth? My 1986 TM's oven looked never used as well........but it's gonna get used.............. ::)

2swans
06-12-2002, 04:19 AM
wade,
i've remarked to my husband that the oven bakes better than any i've ever had ;)--especially on pies. i did burn  12 muffins to bits one day--but that was because they were mini muffins baking with regular sized muffins, and i forgot them :o.i also forgot to grease the tin ::). even the wild turkeys outside our camper wouldn't touch 'em :-[! but the regular muffins are always perfect. i love this oven!  enjoy yours--2swans.

RickNewcomb
06-13-2002, 03:09 AM
Wade,

We haven't had any problems with burning. But the garlic bread did come out darker on the bottom than we liked. We switched to an air type cookie sheet. I think thats what they are called. Anyway it is a cookie sheet that has an air cavity between the top and bottom. I do notice that some things cook faster than my home oven.

You may want to check the oven temperature using an oven thermometer. I know our home oven runs 25 degrees warm than the setting on the knob.

06-17-2002, 07:24 AM
That's funny what people say about the oven.  We recently went down to NC and borrowed an old Winnie.  The people we borrowed it from had no idea how to use the oven.  The couple that came with us in their RV also never used their oven.   We had to look up the instruction in the book. :D

Happytrails
06-18-2002, 10:49 AM
Old "Winnie"......Sorry, just curious as to what that is.....lol, forgive me, I'm an old tent camper........ ::)

Happytrails......

06-18-2002, 03:37 PM
Happytrails, you are so funny!...a Winnie is a Winnabago....I think.
Red

Bruce
06-19-2002, 03:07 AM
We have used and enjoyed our oven. Someone told us to put in a large floor tile in the bottom to spread the heat around and keep the bottoms of the baking pans from burning.
Only real problem we did have was due to shoddy factory installation of the range/oven. After 3 months of use the whole assembly started to sink into the countertop. I found that the unit was only held in by a couple of wood screws under the oven door that had stripped out. I took out the unit and put in some 1X2 cleats on either side of the cabinet to hold the thing up. Slid it back in and screwed it down and it has held up ever since.

Bruce

Happytrails
06-19-2002, 10:16 AM
Ohhhh.....duhhhh......LOL  ::) Never hurts to ask I guess! I didn't know what a "honeypot" was until joining this discussion group as well.....lol I don't think about Winnebago's much as I have *no* desire to own one whatsoever.....lol, I like jeep trails too much and going to those "out of the way" places other people don't see.....  :D

Happytrails......

07-29-2002, 06:26 PM
Here is how I get the best of both worlds - store stuff in the oven!  You have to open it to light it,  so you are not likely to have a fire because you forgot to take the stuff out.  I store items like bread and chips that might get squashed somewhere else.

While I could live without an oven, I've been glad to have it on more than on occasion.

Happytrails
07-30-2002, 03:04 PM
Pretty good idea Nw!

Happytrails...........

Windbreaker
08-01-2002, 03:36 PM
We use our oven, mostly to store pans in durning warm weather.