PDA

View Full Version : Broken Antenna Swivel

08-03-2002, 08:23 AM
I seem to have broken the swivel for my Antenna. I turned it a little too hard the wrong way, and it broke. Has anyone had to fix this?

I would rather not take the whole thing off and apart. I was thinking of trying some sort of glue.. Either rubber cement or super glue. Any thought here?

Dave

08-03-2002, 12:05 PM
DavidLee,

Unless I miss my guess, what has broken is the lift mechanism to your antenna.  If so, I've had experience and it's not difficult top replace the part.  The part is a plastic helical gear and breaks when one fails to quit turning the elevator crank when bringing the antenna down.  If the antenna is being lifted, crank to your hearts content.  The little clicking noise means you are at the azimuth of the lift, but nothing will break.  On the down side (pun is intended), when the antenna is cranked down one must stop when there is a "thud" on the roof.  Otherwise, the plastic helical gear will break.  I forget the name of the company, but I believe it is on the mechanism somewhere.  Give them a call, I believe the part costs less than $10.  They’ll have it to you in a few days, depending upon where you live.  I wouldn’t suggest trying to glue the part together.  There is a lot of stress present.

Happy Trails........George

08-03-2002, 02:37 PM
Actually, the lift portion is just fine.  I broke the rotater. The Outer White Dial that turns the Antenna when it is up.

Dave

oilspot
08-04-2002, 05:01 AM
They make a special epoxy for plastic repairs which seems to work well (if you can remove the pieces to make the repair).

The epoxy is loaded with methyl methacrylate (which I hate to smell!) but it seems to really bite into most plastics.  

I think Home depot sells it.