PDA

View Full Version : Shower Curtain

Elaina and George
08-14-2005, 11:12 AM
Ok guys, sorry I have so many questions, but I'm a woman so my mind is always reeling :) Can you use a spring loaded rod once you set up and hang a shower curtain? thanks Elaina

Elaina and George
08-14-2005, 03:26 PM
I haven't had a reply from anyone - the one we looked at is used 2004 - looks brand new - but there was no shower curtain - maybe you guys are all saying hum - we have one - there was no rod or shower curtain - thought that a bit odd :new_Eyecr

BobRederick
08-14-2005, 05:25 PM
Elaina & Geo,

I have a 2004 3326. The shower is a nylon fabric type material. It is good choice and allows air to get throught it for quicker drying. It looks like two normal curtains were sewn together end to end to make the long curtain to go all the way around the shower. The curtain hangs from smaller u-shaped wires that have rollers on each end. The rollers fit in the track above the shower and hold the curtain out a bit beyond the edge of the tub to give you more room in there. I have seen these rollers at Camping World. I would suggest you look there in addition to checking at the factory for price. The factory curtains are about 6 inches too long and lay in the water puddle in the tub which I found to be restricting. Cutting this off and reheming it (see article by Hal in Colorado) made my shower seem larger and much more useable. Hal's design uses velcro patches to a) hold the curtain against the wall, b) to form closure of the opening, & c) to hold the curtain open after the shower so it can get air circulation and dry more quickly. I find it a very nice improvement to the TM.

Bob

LandonFamily
08-16-2005, 08:06 PM
Oh my, showers in a Trailmanor would be wonderful if we could just hang up a spring loaded rod and hang a shower curtain on it! Unfortunately, none of the walls are waterproof, so that's why you must hang a curtain that goes all the way around. And when you do that, the curtain will considerably lessen the amount of space you've got to turn around in there! I shortened my curtain, but didn't remove any of the extra fabric in the corners, and now I wish had taken the time to do it. There's a LOT of extra fabric and it's always in the way.

Caroline

ddnavar
08-16-2005, 08:49 PM
My wife cut 5" from the bottom of the curtain, attached velcro on the vertical sections of the curtain and added little pockets for shampoo and soap. Works great, since I don't like picking up soap or shampoo from the bottom.
Also I can open the slits for the valves and shower head..
3 attachments.

Elaina and George
08-22-2005, 09:19 AM
:new_Eyecr Once we got our TM Friday I realized there is no way except to have a surround shower curtain - what was I thinking ? I guess I just couldn't take in all the features at once when we were looking at the TM. Yes I love everyones idea about cutting down the curtain and the velcro attachments - that is such a good idea - I guess if you are staying at a campground with a nice bath house it would be just as convenient to use their shower. Thanks Elaina

dennisu
08-23-2005, 07:34 AM
our soulution to the "showering in a trashbag" feeling was as follows. i took off one of the shower curtains totally. bought a new heavier weight curtain at walmart. cut the length down to fit along (over) from the top of the bedroom/hall folding wall to into the tub. i put this up each trip and use picnic table cover clamps to secure it to the top of the bedroom/hall folding wall. it fits neatly back against the walls and gives you ever so much more room in the shower. the other curtain was also cut off on the length and now is only used for the shower entry side.

dennisu

Elaina and George
08-23-2005, 08:19 AM
Wow - that is a really neat idea - yes I can see how that would give you so much more room - thanks Elaina

Brightsu
08-24-2005, 07:43 AM
A friend of mine came up with a good idea, you can buy those enclosure's they use for camping and actually use your outside shower for more room, she told me she and her daughter had been taking showers outside with their swimsuits and decided for more privacy they purchased one of those enclosure at Camping World, not tried it yet but it sounds like more elbow room, she said they camp mostly where there are paved and the water just runs down hill, the unit just folds up.

Pam

Elaina and George
08-24-2005, 09:23 AM
Especially in the summer this is a great idea - and the grandkids would think it would be so cool to take a shower outside. You could build a small slatted wooden platform to stand on and throw it in the back of your truck, that would solve the muddy feet issue if it wasn't paved. The enclosure would solve the privacy issue - I really like this idea. Thank Elaina

Bill & Lisa
11-27-2005, 01:37 PM
We just recently moved up from a pop up and used our shower enclosure as our "potty stall". We are seriously considering using it as an outside shower enclosure for the TM when the weather allows--come spring.

The unit we are discussing is about 4 feet square at the bottom, but only 2 feet square at the top. The shoulder area is therefore about 2.5 feet square. The averave person needs 18" of space for his body without room for raising your arms, say to wash your hair. Add that extra 2-4 feet and it's tight, except from corner to corner. I originally found using it as a potty tent a little restricting--since the potty took up a good deal of space. However, I didn't, at that time, have the TM with it's well appointed but slightly close quarters and now have a new appreciation for bathroom space.

Modifications would need to be made to allow the shower head to hang inside the "stall" and allow water temperature access as there is only one zippered opening. A longer hose would be handy as would installing a D ring and carabiner to the shower head (velcro to the rescue!)

I purchased my stall from KMart and it comes with a hook-in floor that holds water, a net bottom that allows flow through, shower pockets and even a towel bar. I plan to put a net "drain" in the solid floor to direct water to the center so I can contain it in an automotive oil drain pan.

The grates previously mentioned in other posts can be found at Camping World or through any RV dealer's catalog. Personally, I'd make my own from composite decking board and brass piano hinge. When I construct my grate, I plan to make it tall enough so the oil pan will fit. This would allow me to shower without causing environmental harm.

Fishcat
03-20-2006, 10:14 AM
RE: ddnavar post-
Thanks for the photos to show what you were describing. How did you mount the shower head for "hands free?" Nothing can be attached to that outside wall for folding down the TM, right? - so I can't tell how you did that.

Thanks,
Fishcat
TM 2720SD 2002
TV Ford F150

ddnavar
03-20-2006, 03:12 PM
I got a 3x4" piece of thin metal and used double stick foam tape to attach it to the wall. I then screwed the shower holder into a 2" circular magnet that has a screw hole in the center. The magnet is strong enough to attach it on top of the nylon curtain if I wanted to.
All supplies can be obtained from Ace or Home Depot.
Sorry I don't have a picture of it.
We have found it works quite well.

k_and_p_camping
03-27-2006, 08:33 AM
I purchased my stall from KMart and it comes with a hook-in floor that holds water, a net bottom that allows flow through, shower pockets and even a towel bar. I plan to put a net "drain" in the solid floor to direct water to the center so I can contain it in an automotive oil drain pan.

The grates previously mentioned in other posts can be found at Camping World or through any RV dealer's catalog. Personally, I'd make my own from composite decking board and brass piano hinge. When I construct my grate, I plan to make it tall enough so the oil pan will fit. This would allow me to shower without causing environmental harm.

I always thought I was pretty frugal in my shower water use, but I can't imagine using an oil pan to collect the water. An oil change is about 5 quarts, and even if the pan is twice that size, it's a pretty skimpy shower. I figure I use about 2 1/2 - 3 gallons of water. That means getting wet, turning off the shower and soaping/shampooing, then turning it back on to rinse.

BTW: I applaud your efforts to collect gray water instead of letting it run on the ground. Very few camp grounds allow gray water to just drain, and even if they do it isn't very good for the soil and the organisms.

Pam (who hasn't read the board in way too long, but is now in the mood for camping!)

PopBeavers
03-27-2006, 03:23 PM
In the Boy Scout Explorers many years ago we would be able to get three showers out of a single 5 gallon container of water.

I believe that to this day even at home I take a shower in less than 2 gallons of water. However, I don't quite have the same hair I had back then.