PDA

View Full Version : A new angle on the Reefer temperature

01-31-2002, 02:56 PM
Our trailer sits along side the house while I prepare for a road trip this weekend.   I've been putting things in the fridge, with AC power, to get the whole thing chilled in advanced.

Those of you who have read this forum long enough recall a thread started last summer discussing reefer startup, right?   We're supposed to give it a couple of days to get all the goodies nice and chilled.

It got kinda cold last night, to about 35 degrees! (Yeah, that's cold for Phoenix  8) )

You might see where this is going ... tonight I opened the reefer to find two cans of frozen soda exploded inside!   :o

Fortunately, it is a lot easier to scrape frozen soda from the inside of the fridge than it is to mop it up when liquid.

Morale of the story -- There's no thermostat on these puppies!    (or is mine just broken?)

Jon

Gene
01-31-2002, 03:59 PM
Jon,These refrigerators do have a thermostat. I have a thermometer in mine and I watch it so that I can adjust the temperature to be about 40 degrees. I seem to have to experiment to get the proper temperature.BYW, we are snowbirding in Mesa in our TM until the end of March.Gene

01-31-2002, 11:55 PM
Jon,

Hoping your luck doesn't run cold in Vegas. ;D

Happy Trails...........George

arknoah
02-01-2002, 12:35 AM
Jon,

An interesting situation.  We’ve generally only put the reefer on for a few hours before heading out rather than a day or two.  Of course, In Phoenix, you probably need a couple of days to do the job.  

I am impressed that our TMs can freeze stuff.  When we have ours too high (4 or above) some of the items on the top shelf get frozen.  I remember our first RV when I was a teenager and it wouldn’t freeze anything in the freezer, let alone the refrigerator compartment.  I think I’ll buy a thermometer just to keep the food at a constant temperature, since that is probably best overall.

Now a question on a different subject:  how did you get to be a “junior member” when all the rest of us are “new member?”  This is just idle curiosity!

F. J. & Ellen

02-10-2002, 10:32 AM
Well, I'm back and unpacked after my trip.   Everything went pretty well, but I think I'll post a list of some of the "little things" I found need attention after storage.

The fridge worked fine set to about 3 -- usually we've needed to set it between 6 and 8 here in AZ to keep it chilled in the summer.    Nights in Vegas were in the mid thirties, days in the low 60s.   The back of the trailer, with the queen bed in our 2720, got mighty cold the first night, though the rest of the trailer was toasty in the 70's with the propane heater.  So I purchased a small 1500w ceramic heater from our favorite nationwide home store and set it on the shelf next to the wardrobe, aimed to the back of the trailer.   This did the trick and I was quite comfortable the rest of the trip.

George -- my luck didn't run too cold, well within my budget for the trip  :D

F.J. & Ellen -- I see you're "Junior Members" too, I think this is triggered by either number of posts or time on the forum.

Jon

09-10-2002, 06:44 AM
;D ;D ;D
I picked up a couple of indoor/outdoor digital display thermometers & rewired the inside sensor from the one onto the other. I then glued the sensor for (inside) to the right hand wall of the freezer & the sensor for (outside) to the right hand wall of the refrigerator.  I mounted the thermometer right above the controls below the counter top with velcro so that the battery could be changed in the unit after a couple years.  This is my very acurate feedback system for the refrigerator & works extreemly well without having to open the door or examine inacurate hanging thermometers inside.  Please encouage TM to make this a standard item as this would eliminate most of the guesswork with the refrigerator. I am an engineer, but you do not have to be in order to do this.