PDA

View Full Version : Q's for TrailManor owners

01-07-2002, 10:08 AM
I'm very interested in the TrailManor 2720, and would like to get some feedback from owners.  We have a Dodge Caravan 3.8 AWD, and it looks like one of the few reasonable options.  They look very cool.

* My biggest concern is leaks.  Is there leakage around the seals?  Does the wind howl through the seals?  Do the seals have to be replaced periodically? Do you get water inside when you're taking it down?
* Can you get into the trailer to put in luggage, and into the refrigerator, when the trailer is collapsed?
* Are there issues with the velcro straps?  Does the wind get through?  Do they need to be replaced periodically?
* Do the beds get cold, since there's outside air right below them?

If anyone tows with a Dodge Caravan, or equivalent:

* Are you satisfied with the towing performance?
* Can you open the van's hatchback when the trailer is hitched?

And generally, I'd like to know how you like them!

Thanks, any feedback would be welcome.

01-07-2002, 11:08 AM
2720 owner. no water or wind problems. beds are not cold. so well insulated that we camp is this recent cold spell in the south with just an electric heater and bed conforter. in fact, have not used my gas heater this year. you cannot place items inside the trailer once it is closed (really not a big inconvience). as for towing i have v8 dodge 1500 ram and i really feel it is overkill for towing such a lite weight trailer. i brought my trailer new from the factory and have had very minor problems. all in all for the money it was a best buy for us.

arknoah
01-07-2002, 01:08 PM
Hi,

Regarding your really good questions (same ones we had) we have had no leaks at all.  I will say that it can be cold on the beds because you have your mattress on top of the aluminum.  No matter how well insulated it is, there are times when you sense the cold from the outside. On the other hand, we usually have condensation because there is very little movement of air from the inside to the outside.  Once you put on the heater, therefore, you get warm and stay warm.  The velcro straps are very secure, though our dealer has said that they will need to be replaced at some time in the future, since the hooks will make some contact with other fabrics over time, which isn’t really unusual with velcro.  

We’ve never had any trouble at all with water getting in.  There may be times when a little breeze might blow in some leaves while you’re setting up, but we’ve opened and closed our trailer in light rain with no trouble.  

As for getting inside, you can do so if you have the rear half down and the front half up, but it’s not easy.  I’ve done this a couple of times at home because I forgot to do something with the fridge.  

Since I don’t know much about your proposed tow vehicle, I would just recommend figuring carefully your weights, including fluids, cargo and people.  Since the 2720 is one of the smaller versions, it doesn’t require a great deal of towing capacity.

We’ve had our TM for just a year but really love it.  I think it was the ease of towing that sold me.  And we love only about 2 - 2.5 miles per gallon (out of the usual 16.5) when towing with our Toyota Sequoia.  You won’t find this kind of interior room that tows so easily anywhere!

Good luck!

F. J. & Ellen

01-07-2002, 03:31 PM
In my opinion:

You should look at either a new tow vehicle and the TM or a different camper.
The Dodge Caravan is great as a van but the transmission is too weak for towing. Stock towing limit is around 2000 pounds and with the tow package, only 3500lbs. It is very expensive to replace the transmissions ($1000+). I have read online that even with the tow package folks have lost transmissions pulling 2000 pound boat/trailers.

We owned a Caravan and sold it when we bought our '98 2720 TM. We purchased a Chevy Astro (5000 pound pulling capacity) to pull the TM. Averaged around 13 MPG and had no problems pulling at 70 MPH. We did however average 14.5 MPG when we pulled at 65 MPH and below.

In September, pulled the TM from Alabama up to my sisters in Ohio and back down through Virginia. I slept on the wall side of the Queen and did in fact get cold. We had to run a fan winter or summer to circulate the air to the back. In Ohio, the temp dropped into the 20's and with the heater keeping it 75 degrees up front, it was 60 degrees on the rear bed. I would say that I got cold mostly from the windows in the back. The seals did not leak air.

We owned the TM for 5 months and sold it and the Astro van and bought a 33 foot fifth wheel and a Dodge quad cab diesel. We liked the TM and would have kept it if our kids had been in their teens. We found that the limited floor space was just too cramped for the kids to play inside. I even went so far as making a saftey gate that I clamped between the bathroom wall and the wardrobe to pen the kids on the rear bed for playing.

Before you buy a TM, read this site and know that what you are buying is a luxery pop up. Don't expect the TM to be more than that. During our 2 week trip we found storage space to be at a premium and had to constantly move boxes and luggage around. You need to know that the TM is one noisy puppy in the rain. We camped over 30 nights (and pulled it over 4000 miles) while we had it and it rained around 15 of them. The only leaks we experienced were with the front door and it turned out to be the seal around the top door section was not sealed.

I have tent camped and canoed for week long trips to the boonies but with my wife and kids, camping had to be different. 2 weeks worth of formula, diapers, etc., etc. and there is not much room for anything else.

We can now load up the 5th wheel and have storage space for everything. No more need for boxes and suitcases. The kids have a huge area to play. I wanted to buy a 5th wheel instead of the TM but the wife thought the TM would work out. She thought it would be cheaper and we would be able to camp more places. The TM just did not work with our 2 toddlers. Could have been all that rain. I should have listened to the advice that a friend once gave me about campers, "Don't buy it if you can't live in it. If you buy something too small and drive 400 miles to get to your vacation spot and it rains the whole time you are there, you will have to live in it."

Hope this helps. The Trailmanor is a great camper. It costs extra to buy the Trailmanor luxery. Make sure to spend your money only once. Don't skimp on the tow vehicle either. Too small and you have major repair bills. Call your dealer and ask about towing capacity. Stop by the dealer for an oil change and talk to the repairman and ask his opinion.

Happy camping.

p.s. Here is a different site with a hard wall popup http://www.aliner.com/
     There was just a neat write up about them in camping life magazine.
     The one they reviewed was $10,600 new and GVWR was only 2500#
     with a tounge weight of 115 lbs. It sleeps 4. Not as roomy as a TM but
     small and should tow and garage well.

arknoah
01-08-2002, 12:19 AM
A couple of quick comments on Brian's response. First, I agree that the TM is very noisy in the rain.  If the rain is heavy, it can get annoying, though in a lighter rain, it is a rather soothing sound, kind of like the sound of raindrops in a puddle.  We actually found that sound very easy to take, but again in a heavy rain, that roof is noisy.

Regarding the space inside, however, I must comment that with our two kids (6 and 3) the TM is very spacious.  Ours is one of the larger models, granted, but last Memorial Day we had eight people in the unit for hours, with the kids watching TV and the adults playing cards, and no one seemed to mind.  Now, when the two teenagers came in as well, then it got cramped.  In truth, we have been impressed with the space the TM offers, and because we chose a larger model (the 3225 that isn't made anymore) we got extra counter space and easy to access storage that makes things go pretty well.

Just my two cents,

F. J. and Ellen

Chris_Bauer
01-08-2002, 01:25 AM
I have had the 2720SL for a year and think the TM was the best purchase.  Even with only one bed the sofa bed easily sleeps two and very comfortably.

As I have said in other posts we spent two weeks in New Mexico in snow, hail and two days of 65 m.p.h. winds with temps around 25 degrees.  Obviously we spent most of those days inside and found it to be a lot like home.  The rain is only annoying when it is a downpour, other than that it is quite soothing as F.J and Ellen said.

There are different likes and dislikes for everyone. In my case if I am going to enjoy the great outdoors I want all the luxuries of home but I am not going to drag 12,000 pounds behind me with a monster tow vehicle that gets 4 m.p.g. and makes a ton of noise with a generator.  A TM gives you all the luxuries of home plus great gas mileage, towability, no need for a huge truck ( I tow with a Chev. 1500 V6) and you don't pollute as much (recirculating toilet w/ 5 gallons).   It looks good, tows well, and drives well.  Setup is easy.  I have seen people fiddle with their 5th wheels longer than it takes us to setup.  Storage has not been an issue for us.  There are trade offs but I wouldn't trade a TM for anything else.  We are selling ours only to upgrade to a bigger unit for full-timing.  Enjoy whatever you choose.

It is the greatest thing on wheels.

01-08-2002, 04:36 AM
In all due respect, I did my homework before moving to a fifth wheel. I would not continue to post on this site if I did not like the Trailmanor and the people that own them.
There are different likes and dislikes for everyone. In my case if I am going to enjoy the great outdoors I want all the luxuries of home but I am not going to drag 12,000 pounds behind me with a monster tow vehicle that gets 4 m.p.g. and makes a ton of noise with a generator. A TM gives you all the luxuries of home plus great gas mileage, towability, no need for a huge truck ( I tow with a Chev. 1500 V6) and you don't pollute as much (recirculating toilet w/ 5 gallons). It looks good, tows well, and drives well. Setup is easy. I have seen people fiddle with their 5th wheels longer than it takes us to setup.
My tow vehicle is a 1-ton Dodge Quad Cab with the 12 valve 5.9 Cummins Diesel. I went with a large 5er so that we could live in it while building a house. I would have otherwise opted for a 27' I do not use a noisy generator and can dry camp just as well as I could with the TM. My 33' weighs in at 9500 lbs and I get 12MPG yes not 4MPG but 12MPG while towing at highway speeds. My engine will last 350,000 plus miles (gotta love a diesel). I'll admit that it is a few feet longer than the Chevy 1500 ( I owned a Chevy K10 for 17 years and sold it as well as the van when I opted for the 5th wheel) but it is not a Kenworth. The towing of a fifth wheel is the safest and most stable of all tavel trailers. If you disagree with that statement, you need to know why tractor trailers used for delivering goods throughout our great country use the same system. Stable yet flexible. Easier to maneuver.
My setup also looks good, tows well and drives well. It is easier to drive than the TM was with the Astro.
Had I purchased a 2720SL instead of the 2720, I too might have found the interior floor space to be sufficient and never had 'traded up'. The 2720 however had no real usable floor space for the kids to play while 2 adults were seated at the dinette.
In the fifth wheel, I can set up in 5 minutes. I can stop and use the bathroom whenever I want to (no need to fully assemble the camper). I can stop and cook dinner at any time (also, no assembly required). The TM can be garaged. The fifth wheel cannot. This is not an issue for me as I live in a very rural area.
I do not own a camper to escape the city and therfore do not have to deal with a drive out of the city. I have driven both campers in city driving and the fifth wheel requires more concentration but is not any less safe. We bought a camper to explore new places and to limit the $$ spent while travelling.
The bottom line is a camper is a useful substitute for a lodge or hotel room. It would however be difficult to justify $20,000 for a camper that you are going to spend 14 nights a year in. The same number of nights in a hotel/lodge would cost you $3640 ($150/night room, $110/day food) versus $700 ($20/night campsight, $30/day food) for a camper. Difference of $2940. Figuring $250 year for tag, insurance, maintenance on the camper, you will begin to save money camping after 9-1/2 years.
I am not trying to pursuade any one from purchasing a camper. I own a camper and I own it because I like to know where I am staying. I worked for 3 years as a travelling salesman and in that time spent over 400 nights in hotel rooms. I prefer to sleep in a bed that I am familiar with and to cook and eat my own food. We will probably camp 30+ nights this year as well. I am only trying to say that there are a lot of things to consider before purchasing a camper of any type.
The Trailmanor is indeed a fine camper and will suit the needs of many very well. The larger TM's are probably more suited for families.
You must still define your needs and finances and try to make the most logical decision.
If you must upgrade your tow vehicle, make sure you upgrade it so that it and the camper will both fit your needs
Happy Camping :)

01-08-2002, 07:48 AM
We love our trailmanor and I would buy another.  However, the fact of the matter is that the factory hopes to sell 800 per year in a good year.  TM's fit only a niche demand.  

The majority of RV'ers apparently have differing needs or place value differently so RV type comparisons are difficult.

Back to the original post:
We presently tow a TM2720 with a Chevy Astro van and I will buy a front wheel drive mini-van for this in the near future.  I expect no problem based on my experiences and knowledge as an automotive engineer.  Note: an equalizing hitch should be used to transfer some tongue weight up to the front drive wheels.

01-10-2002, 09:02 AM
I have a model 23 (91) that is the same as the 2720.  I've towed it over 3000 miles in the last year with a Dodge Grand Caravan with a 3.3 engine and towing package.  I also have an equalizing hitch and anti sway bar.  I can easily tow it at 60-70 mph and even use overdrive on relatively level ground.  My son is a Chrysler transmission repairman so I had him check the tranny after both of the first two long trips.  He found nothing to indicate that the transmission was under undue stress, no metal shavings, worn discs or even burnt or discolored transmission fluid.  The early Chrysler transmissionss had some serious problems, but they got significantly better in 93, and by 96 it wasn't unusual to see them with over 150,000 miles before repair.  I've owned 4 of these minivans and have put over 250,000 on each of the first three and have 65,000 on my 2001!
    We are careful how we pack and typically don't travel with full water tanks and load as evenly and pack as lightly as possible.  By the way, the recommended max. for this vehicle is 3800 lbs, and I try to stay at 3000 or less.  Hope this helps, Denny    (By the way, 18 mpg at 55-60, 14-15 at 65-70)

01-11-2002, 11:38 PM
If you have children and plan to do any dry camping, you must consider the toilet capacity.  We do not want our children to use the NFS pit toilets, and the toilet capacity is only 3-51/2 gallons, depending on how you charge it.  TM tells me that it is not possible to add a holding tank, as there is no way to vent it.  There are ways to dump at your campsite into your own freestanding tank, but we have found it to be a lot of trouble.  We like our TM, but with 5 people in our unit this has been our major problem.  

01-12-2002, 12:32 AM
5 people using the inside potty is indeed a problem.  Desperate situations call for desperate measures and one needs to take a real hard look at the vault toilets if one wishes to dry camp.

I make light about the "awfulness" of the vault toilets by taking an FRS radio with me as if making a dangerous journey and needing to call for help.

01-12-2002, 01:51 AM
My wife and I have survived these pit or vault toilets for over 25 years.  If the area is really remote, just teach the kids to use trees most of the time.   This will keep a lot of liquid out of the toilet.

01-14-2002, 03:44 AM
I certainly appreciate all the feedback. I'm more convinced that I want one.

A few more questions:

- I hear there "is no black water tank." So how much capacity (in gallons) does the thetford toilet have?
- The awning is vinyl. Has anyone had problems with those deteriorating...especially if you live in the wet Northwest?
- Has anyone had to have the velcro or the seals replaced? How many years did they last, and how expensive was it to replace them.

Thanks again!

01-14-2002, 04:47 PM
The recirculating toilet holds approx. 6 gallons. You can gain close to another gallon by dumping the toilet into the drain elbow while the dump gate outside is closed. You can gain extra run time on the toilet by not charging to the charge level. Simply add chemical and water until it starts to pump without cavitating. I know that when we had the TM this gained us 1/2 gallon usable capacity. So with this method, the charge was 2-1/2 gallons and the capacity 6, left us 3-1/2 gallons of usable capacity. We could make it 1 week by only using the indoor facilities for late night needs before we needed to dump.

In my 8 years of rv experience and talking with other owners, moisture on the awning is the worst factor. Always dry the awning out before storing. Don't forget to do this if you hit some rain during your travels back home as water will seep on the awning. This will help prevent mildew and therefore excessive cleaning. My first rv was a class a that had an awning that was 10 years old. This vehicle spent most of it's life in South Florida so I would assume that the conditions would be similar. The awning was dried out before storing and looked and worked great.

I had to replace several flap seal velcro pieces. I purchased some 2" wide 'industrial strength' velcro at walmart ($4 for 4') and just needed to cut to length and split to the proper width to match up with what needed to be replaced. Cleaned the area with an alcohol based wipe before pressing glued back down in place. I had no more problem with them pulling off of the wall. Never needed to replace any seals though. My only other maintenance problems were with the bed support rail guides. The plastic broke and the supports would pop out of the guides. I was able to cut off the bad section and flip it over to expose the unbroken edge and all worked well.
Hope this helps.
Happy camping.

arknoah
01-15-2002, 05:02 AM
I also found that the bed rails seemed to warp in the heat.  On both the front and back, they seemed to be really wavy during much of the season, though they never evenhinted that they wouldn't support our weight.  I happened to fall through the front one day because I forgot to lock the front beds before climbing up on them (that was scary) and got replacments from the dealer which I haven't yet replaced.  

Its good to see that it wasn't difficult to replace the velcro, as that is one thing I know will have to be done at some time.  And we have never gotten a week out of the toilet.  Of course with a 3 year and a 6 year old, there isn't much opportunity to get them to use another facility when its time to go!  We've gone only as much as three days without a dump.  

F. J. & Ellen

01-18-2002, 02:39 AM
We bought our TM2720 used and in very good condition last summer.   After about a half dozen trips, it has been very dry in the rain.   I was surprised at the chatter of the rain on the roof, too!   You will hear it drizzling outside before you see it drizzling outside.   But I actually like the sound.

My only comment on the beds is the mattress pad.  We've considered putting an air mattress (too tall) or a ThermaRest (expensive) to provide a little more padding.

For a couple of people who have only slept on the ground in tents, though, it sure is a nice unit.  When you're used to tent camping, one thing becomes clear -- you don't live in the tent or trailer -- you live outside and the tent or trailer becomes your "base" or "shelter."   Looking at the TM in this light helps.  If what you need is a "temporary house" like Brian, or are looking for a full-time or park unit, you might find the TMs tight.

2swans
01-19-2002, 03:40 AM
hi, everyone. we have used the thermarests under our mattress pad with excellent success. we put the valves facing the TM hallway, so that the thermarests can be inflated upon arrival w/out having to remove them from under the pad. the TM closes with no problem. we have not tried to close the trailer with the thermarests fully inflated. upon leaving, we open the valves and lay down upon the pad for a liitle while to squeeze air out. then, close the valves, and they are pretty flat for travel.
we use the thermarests that we use in our tent--we each have the extra long, wider models. two of these practically covers the queen bed on the 2720SL.
AND BOY, IS THE TM BED HEAVENLY TO SLEEP ON!!
you can sometimes find thermarests at a good buy from Campmor.com or sierra tradingpost.com or even on ebay( i got mine there). they are pricey, but the cheaper versions just don't compare in comfort or durability, IMHO. you'll pay 70-80 bucks for a new one, but you can use them for guests at home, and they make a cot feel almost heavenly. at least, that's what our last g :ouest said who had to sleep on one.
stay warm, everyone, :o

2swans.

Paul_Heuvelhorst
01-19-2002, 11:00 AM
We found the TM double bed mattress to be a bit firm on long trips... 5 consecutive nights or more.  We solved that problem by putting an "egg crate" foam pad on the mattress, under the sheet.  That duplicates what we've done on our queen bed at home.

It is such a successful solution for us that, without even trying the larger bed in our new trailer, we bought an "egg crate" for the bed and love it.  It is an inexpensive solution... you should be able to buy a top quality queen size egg crate at Wal-Mart and other places for about $20.  Don't bother with the lower quality... the highest density foam is best.

2swans
01-21-2002, 02:58 AM
hi, paul. we wondered if the egg crate would make the bed too thick to to close the TM easily. have never had an egg crate, so we just used our themarests. does the TM close w/out effort? we might try one if our thermarests ever crater! thanks, 2swans.

Paul_Heuvelhorst
01-21-2002, 04:56 AM
We always had the bed made, egg-crate, sheet and light blanket when we folded the trailer.  Keep in mind, we used the front bed for sleeping.  The egg-crate foam adds about 1 to 1-1/2" to the height of the mattress.  We used the back bed for storage after we set up.  We carried additional blankets and a comforter, which were stored under one of the dinette seats for traveling.

Hope you all get a good night's rest!  :D

01-21-2002, 11:34 AM
:) we paul's must think alike. this is exactly what we have been doing since we picked up our tm from the factory. also the egg create provides extra warmth.

01-23-2002, 07:04 AM
There is a lot of discussion about water getting inside of the trailer. We just purchased a 2002 2720sl. How about the amount of dust getting on the bed while towing for long distances. We also are going to purchase the egg crate for the queen mattress. We will be towing with a 2000 Isuzu Trooper and using the weight distribution hitch. Looking forward to our first trip....  ;D

01-23-2002, 09:16 AM
;D We have spent over 100 nights in our TrailManor and never had a drop of water invade while towing or while set up.  Never noticed any problem either with excessive dust.  We do get a little trash, such as pine needles in the crease where the side flaps fold up for towing, but nothing serious.  

01-23-2002, 09:59 AM
Thanks John        :)

01-23-2002, 11:29 AM
because we live in the deep south (new orleans) we are able to camp year round and since owing the tm (purchased july 01) never any problems with dust or rain in the tm.

you should have trouble free trips, but expect the unexpected that is the fun of camping.

01-23-2002, 11:59 AM
We find dust inside our unit after towing over dry gravel / dirt roads that kick up really good dust clouds.  Air can infiltrate most anywhere.  Late last summer I put a cover over the external AC vent but have yet to put this to the test.

We have decided that a little dust is the price we have to pay for the more secluded camping that we enjoy.

hal
01-23-2002, 12:47 PM
We have had a little bit of dust, not enough to complain about.  Occasionally we take a dusting rag around the trailer to spiff it up a bit.  Our worst experience occured on a washboard road.  We had failed to fully close the roof vent.  As we bounced over the washboard, the vent seemed to open more.  We are not concerned and continued making a cloud of dust as we traveled.  The trailer worked like a big bellows.  It would suck in dust with each bounce, breathe out and then suck in some more yuk.  We were terribly surprised when we got to our destination and set up our trailer.  I'll bet we can brag that we had more dust in our trailer than anyone else has ever had. We learned our lesson....avoid washboard roads and make sure the vent is closed.

Hal :D

01-23-2002, 12:55 PM
Well, we will be taking a trip of over 8500 miles.. From Nevada to Alaska, that will take about 4 months to complete. we have quit an itinery.. Its a good idea to cover the A/C unit now that the 2002 models have the unit on top... Thanks for the feed back...

Gene
01-23-2002, 02:04 PM
I lost two ac covers on two separate occasions. I forgot to remove them before starting out on our travels. The wind caught them and they were gone! So lesson learned, remove ac cover before leaving.

arknoah
01-24-2002, 04:47 AM
We've never had any water get in the trailer except when it blew in through an open window while set up.  The only dust we've had I think may get in somehow between the velcro straps and the walls when closed up.  When we open the unit then, and close the straps, we have debris in the crease of the flap.  A little brushing of vacuuming has taken care of this.

F. J. & Ellen

01-24-2002, 07:38 AM
With the limited space in the 2720SL. What is the best  vacuum to carry on trips... does anyone have experience with that problem...?  Bob   ;D

01-24-2002, 07:48 AM
In our 2720, we used a 1 gallon wet/dry vac. I think it was around $30 at K-mart. We have since bought a black and decker versapak portable vacuum. The versapak model is nice because you don't have to stoop as much and it has a beater brush for the carpet. It doesn't have a crevis tool or pick up water though.
Hope this helps and
Happy Camping

01-24-2002, 08:43 AM
Since TM storage space is at a premium we use a corded "dust buster" type of vacuum.  Dirt Devil is one well known brand but we bought a Bissell model we thought was better.  However, I don't see this Bissel model on their site.

01-24-2002, 08:55 AM
I like the idea of the corded vacuum. Since, we will be in a lot of camp grounds with hookups.. Thanks to all of you who have responded to my questions.. It's nice to have people that you can talk to that have the same concerns...  ;)

01-28-2002, 11:25 AM
We have a 3124 and love it.  We asked all the same questions when we bought it last August.  No leaks, we camped in Vermont in late november/early december and we were perfectly comfortable.  The only time you will see dampness in the camper is during setup if you've driven through wet spells or if it's raining, when you go to velcro the interior insulation you may find some dampness but usually we see none.  Ask the dealer to demonstrate the exterior seals.  Our deal put a hose inside the seam and it did not leak into the camper.  There are actually 2 seals the water gets trapped between the two if the water gets in one seal.  Also when you setup the trailer is angled to dump the water when you start the setup.  

03-19-2002, 12:25 PM
Re: Leaks - we've had the trailer for a year which includes about 30 days of camping and several big time thunderstorms.  We had no problems with wind blowing in. One time a little water came in around the door.  With the storm we were in, I doubt my house would have done any better!  Never had any water intrusions while towing, and went through some major storms there too.

The only bad surprise we had with the TM, and I could have known this had I thought about it, was that the top of the rear roof is inside the trailer when it is folded, and therefore, the roof must be dried prior to folding down the trailer, at least before storing it.  We use a similar trick as someone else noted on this board: wrapping a towel around a mop to get the moisture off.  This may not be such a big problem for those who don't camp in the humid Gulf Coast where much of our camping is done.

Re: toilet capability, my family of 3 has made it a week without dumping, but this requires limiting the use to nights and rainstorms only.  Also the family rule is "#1 only, except in emergencies".  (Don't you love what you find out about others on the internet?)  The grey water tank has made it a week also.  This is generally not the limiting factor unless  you take showers often.  

General comments:  We had a Coleman pop-up for over 7 years and enjoyed it a lot.  The TM was a replacement when the Coleman was damaged in an accident.  It is a huge step up in comfort from the Coleman, especially considering that we had the smallest trailer Coleman made.  It is much nicer in cold, heat, rain etc. and my wife really enjoys the hot water heater.  We really didn't want to pay $600 (or whatever) for a fridge, being used to an ice chest (you can buy a lot of ice for $600) but we have learned to love it.  

As someone else noted, buying a camper may not make economic  sense when compared with hotel rooms.  But there are many other benefits.  For example, as birders we are in the thick of the action as soon as we wake up.  Camping right in a great birding spot like Bentsen-Rio Grande State Park prevents having to get up super early at your hotel somewhere else and travel to the park to be there at dawn.

Enjoy the outdoors!    

03-19-2002, 03:42 PM
re:leaks
On the water coming in around your door, take a close look at the door seal when the door is closed. We discovered that we were getting water in around the top half of the door in the heavy rains. The top section did not seal well when closed. Remove the old weather stripping and put in some a tad thicker.

re:roof cleaning/drying
We purchased a kit at Sam's Club that had an extension pole with light changers, squeegie and a bendable dust mop. I put a fine floor sweeping broom head on the angled adapter and used this to sweep away the leaves, acorns, and water. It swept it clean enough so that as I completed my to do list on closing up it dried nicely. I would just drop the back half as soon as I could, sweep it and then finish the take down procedures.

Hope this helps and happy camping

arknoah
03-20-2002, 12:39 AM
We've gotten in the habit of taking one of those extended brooms that you can connect to a hose, (probably like yours from Sam's) and using it dry to sweep off the roof occasionally as well as the awning.  I use the same brush with the hose to scrub the top of the unit when I'm putting it away.  Sweeping the roof off dry was suggested by a friend, and it seemed like good sense to me, so we've continued.  It's rather like dusting your furniture periodically -- just doing it to the top of your "house on wheels."

03-20-2002, 01:02 AM
Re: cold beds.
We have used sleeping bags on our boat for the past 13 years and 1 year in our TM. If it is cold outside it is going to be cold inside but not necessarily because of the beds which are thick and comfortable. We used the integral heater a couple of nights but I thought it gave me a headache (maybe perceived instead of reality) so now we use a thermostat controlled electric heater placed in front of the A/C in our 2619 that does OK unless it gets into the 30's.
If you are looking for a trailerable I think the TM is the way to go over pop-ups and Hi-Lo's; and they sure get a lot of attention at a campground. They will be more money than a pop-up, however. I understand Hi-Lo's are a bear to set up and take down.
You might think about going used which won't be as much of a financial burden if it doesn't work out.
Dick_B

03-20-2002, 11:51 AM
I would like to know if you can add a egg crate to the mattress and with sheets and comforter can you close the TM ok... we just bought the sheets and comforter and havent added the egg crate to the mattress... but will it work...?
Has any one had a problem with locking the windows.. there were these black guides in the window that prohibited it from locking. I took them out and have had no problem locking the windows...???

Paul_Heuvelhorst
03-20-2002, 04:47 PM
The top of the door was the only place our TM ever leaked during a rainstorm... and it occured when the awning was extended, too.

Every TM has an 'eyebrow' deflector over the door, obstensively to deflect water over the top edge of the door. However, on our unit I found that the factory only used a sealant to surround the holes where the screws enter the skin of the trailer, which allowed water to run between the 'eyebrow' and the trailer skin.

I removed the 'eyebrow' and scraped all the factory sealant off... then reapplied a silicon sealant, around the screw holes and a bead along the entire length of the 'eyebrow.' Viola, no more leaking water at the top of the door.

Check it out on your own unit. The fix takes about 30-45 minutes.

03-22-2002, 03:23 AM
Robert:

You asked if you could leave an egg crate on the bed,,,, yes you can. I had an egg crate on mine, and the unit would fold just fine with that, sheets, and a blanket. No problem.

Mack

03-22-2002, 03:30 AM
Thanks Mack, we made the bed with sheets and a comforter and had a difficult time closing the back half. But the comforter was doubled up... we may have to take the comforter off before we close the unit.....

04-01-2002, 02:32 PM
... been a while since I browsed this whole thread, and I'd like to add regarding the cold or hard bed, I shopped *Marts for egg crate, and never found any.  :-/   So I broke down and spent my REI dividends, and then some, to buy the ThermaRest Tandem "Luxury" model.    We used it this past weekend in San Diego, under the queen mattress.   :-*  (a) it keeps the bed much warmer; (b) the bed was much more comfortable, no arms falling asleep, etc.

Regarding Brian's comments on 5th wheelers, we've also envied the room of a 5th wheel, with triple popouts and all the fixin's.  With two toddlers (under 3yrs old) space can be a premium.  Fortunately we're in a dry part of the country, so we can generally count on the TM as a "base" and do much of our living outside.   So I agree with Brian on the niceties of 5th wheels, the space premium of the 2720, goodness of diesels, and the such (except the Dodge vs Ford thing but that's a different discussion)  ;D   If we had more space to spin a large rig where we want to build, we'd have a larger TM or a 5th wheel in the first place.  My conclusion?  We all have some reason we like our TMs.   Yes, there are bigger, or smaller, or cheaper, or more expensive trailers.

Ours is JUST RIGHT!

At least until we buy that F350 Crew Cab dually...

05-02-2002, 04:41 AM
For cold beds:
We bought a electric heating matress pad from Wal-Mart for the double front bed and it was really good. You do have to have 110 volts available tho and it would not work for dry camping unless had generator.They don't pull many amps so add little to the power drain.

05-21-2002, 03:28 AM
Hello, I made the original post here.

Based largely on information in this group, I purchased a 2720.  I am euphoric about it!  I was very worried about whether my Dodge Caravan would be adequate to pull it.  But it seems to work great, I really don't have any concerns.

I must say that so far, the Trailmanor has exceeded my expectations.  Very pleased.  

I'm sure I'll have more questions over time, but so far am feeling pretty comfortable with all the appliances, set up, etc.  My wife and I have both been thinking "is that it?  Can't be!" after setting up or taking down.

08-02-2002, 12:47 PM
My 2720SL tows quite nicely with my Honda Odyssy, but TM recommends a weight distributing hitch for front wheel drive vehicles. I have one on order and hope it gets here before a trip next week.
Dave

oilspot
08-18-2002, 11:06 PM
The top of the door was the only place our TM ever leaked during a rainstorm... and it occured when the awning was extended, too.

Every TM has an 'eyebrow' deflector over the door, obstensively to deflect water over the top edge of the door. However, on our unit I found that the factory only used a sealant to surround the holes where the screws enter the skin of the trailer, which allowed water to run between the 'eyebrow' and the trailer skin.

I removed the 'eyebrow' and scraped all the factory sealant off... then reapplied a silicon sealant, around the screw holes and a bead along the entire length of the 'eyebrow.' Viola, no more leaking water at the top of the door.

Check it out on your own unit. The fix takes about 30-45 minutes.

My "new" 1996 unit doesn't have the eyebrow.  I ordered one from J. D. for $1.50; but before I install it can some one tell me about how high above the door it is?

About how many inches above the door does the eyebrow reside?  I assume it is horizontal (ie level)?

Thanks for the information

Happytrails
08-19-2002, 10:14 AM
Oilspot, mine sits just a hair away from letting the awning wheel hit it......might be different in another TM though.........

Happytrails......

09-03-2002, 09:27 PM
HELP!!!  ??? Can anyone give a little info about the readings for the grey water tank on a TM 3023?  We bought a used 1995 TM in May which we love.  We have camped 4 times, the first three for short 2-3 day stays.  Our last trip was a 2 week outing.  We had running water so hooked directly in and used as needed.  However, when I checked the gauges after a few days, I found the grey water tank showing 1/4 full.  A few days later it read 1/2 full and up to 3/4 full before we were ready to leave.  Once home, we flushed out the tanks and it was still reading 1/4 full when we put the camped in the garage.  The only thing my husband could suggest was perhaps the soap bubbles from dish washing and rinsing the clothes in the sink over 2 weeks might have  built up and given a "false" reading.

Has anybody else experienced this???  If so, let me know.  If not, any suggestions.  

FYI:  During our 2 week stay we experienced 3 days of terrible downpours and not one drop of water entered the camper!  We are now totally confident that no matter what, the TM is built to take the rain and the wind and keep you snug and dry.   ::)

Thanks for your help.

rummy74

RickNewcomb
09-03-2002, 11:27 PM
On your 1995 3023, are the four indicator LEDs on the panel labeled 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, and Full? On my 1999 2619 the four indicator LEDs on the panel are labeled Empty, 1/3, 2/3, and Full. When I empty the grey water tank the Empty LED is on. So, if your 1/4 is really Empty then this would explain why it is on after you empty the tank.

oilspot
09-04-2002, 09:45 AM
My 1996 has four lights too... Empty, 1/3, 2/3, and full.

Perhaps yours is a transition. and the first light is empty.

Another possibility is the trailer wasn't quite level when you drained the tank.  Easy to check with a bucket under the hose fitting... or a hose attached to it (not your white one!!).

There is a remote chance the sensor is dirty.  You can try putting some enzymatic cleaner/digestor into the tank with about 5 gal of water.  Let is slosh around on your next trip and take care of any grease or scum that might have built up.  Then just use it as you normally would and dump...

Happytrails
09-04-2002, 10:19 AM
Grumble.....lol Mine doesn't seem to have any gauges for the level of the grey water tank. Where are they located in your TM's? Just curious as one of the last things I need to fix is my grey water sewage line, and as long as I'm down there, might as well add a gauge if I don't have one. I think most people's is above the fridge, I don't have that, matter of fact, no control panel at all.....one of the things I plan on adding since I now have the extra space due to the slightly smaller reefer.

Happytrails......

Civil_War_Buff
09-04-2002, 12:56 PM
Bill, (Happytrails),

Mine is on the panel just below the sink.  It has the tank/battery gauges, the water heater igniter switch, and the fridge fan switch all in the same area.

Happy Campin' <><

oilspot
09-04-2002, 02:05 PM
Mine panel is located below the sink, where the wires are easier to access.  I've seen the monitor panels in RV catalogs, but I don't know if the sensors are included.

Installing the holding tank sensors shouldn't be too bad unless the taps aren't there (then you'd have to drill and tap your own holes...

09-04-2002, 08:27 PM
:DThanks to everybody for their suggestions regarding the grey water tank panel lights.  You are right - mine starts with "Empty" and has 4 lights total and my panel is located under the sink along with all the other things to check.  My husband said he would check it when we take it out in a few weeks and see if maybe it just wasn't level.  If it still shows a problem, we will try the cleaning method and others suggested.  

Sure is great to have someone to ask if you have a problem.  I think we have joined a wonderful family of TM owners and can hardly wait to get to do more camping and hopefully meet more of "the family" eye to eye.   ::)

arknoah
09-05-2002, 02:25 AM
I have to join this discussion a little late because the grey water tank gauge is one of my pet peeves.  Regardless of where I have been with the trailer, it has always read as being more full than it is.  Even after a pump out last weekend that I'm sure took out all the water, it still read at least 1/3 full when empty!

Makes it kind of difficult to plan when to dump, or schedule a pump out when not hooked up to a sewer connection....

oilspot
09-05-2002, 08:09 AM
If you crawl under the trailer and look at the tank, you can see the little sensors in the various locations on the side of the tank.  
You should be able to tell how close the sensor is to the top.  They are pretty crude indicators and a little damp hair or grease across the contacts and your light will never go out.

In general, I agree with your observations.  
However it is better than no indicator at all.  You get some warning before the water backs-up into the shower/tub.  It's a closed system with a vent on the side of the trailer (behind the sink).  So it will either back up into a sink, tub, or out the vent onto the ground.  Then there is no doubt it is time to dump!

I have not tried to fine tune my observations yet...  If I do, I'll let you know if I have any sucess.

2619PDX
09-17-2002, 04:27 AM
FJ & Ellen:
We just bought a 2619 this summer. I have a 5 year old son.
We travelled from Bisbee, AZ home to Portland in 12 days through heat and cool.
No problems. It's plenty big.
As to towing. I have a 96 Ford Windstar 3.8L.
It's not big enough to tow the 2619 with. Am getting a Chevy Tahoe. Granted this is much larger than we need, it will do the job with ease.
Someone else said it right about mini-van's - You're maxed out at 3000 lbs, and in my case, If you filled up the 2619, it can weight over 4000 lbs by itself and you haven't added the passenger and gear weight for your van into it yet... Consider that. Those trani's don't like it when they're overloaded.
But I can say that the 2619 tows beautifully. It's easy to set up and take down, and it's not drafty.
Haven't used the heater yet, but have used the wall mounted a/c and it was fine.
They Velcro isn't a probelm either.
As to the toilet, if you're not dry camping, you should always get a full hook up site so you can dump the toilet. Ours serves it's purpose just fine. I agree with others that there's always the campgrounds facilities when in a pinch!
As to the comment that the Trail Manor is a glorified luxury Pop-Up, I don't agree!
They Trail Manor is a qualified trailer! Don't let anyone tell you differently. We looked at various trailer and 5th wheel styles prior to deciding on the TrailManor, and liked the floor plans, options, spaciousness and towing of the TrailManor. This is quite the rig, and I am convinced that you could full time in them without missing anything as well.
Hope that helps!
Gregg in Portland.

Happytrails
09-17-2002, 09:54 AM
I talked to Donny down at TM yesterday, he said the monitor kit was only around $50.00. As mine doesn't have this, it would be very nice to have, but I'd have to install it myself. Has anyone installed one of these kits before, and is it very hard to do with the extra wiring and all? Just wondering......

Happytrails........

oilspot
09-18-2002, 02:01 PM
Happy:

It shouldn't be to hard.  Access to the tanks and installing the probes is the biggest trick.  They may already be threaded.

Once you've got that out of the way, all you have to do is route the wires to the monitor panel.

The battery monitor probably just hooks to any 12V connection.

09-20-2002, 10:40 PM
Hey Gang,

I've not posted here for a while, but you may want to consider dropping this title as a Subject.  Everything including the kitchen sink could go here and the functionality of being able to access topics of interest will become nil and void.

George