PDA

View Full Version : Where to Hang an Indoor/Outdoor Thermometer

09-24-2002, 10:16 AM
I just purchased a small digital Indoor/Outdoor Thermometer, and now need a place to install it.  Any ideas?  

Obviously I want to open and close the TM with out knocking it off the wall, or pulling the wire out.

Thanks

Happytrails
09-24-2002, 10:30 AM
I would mount it to the side of where the fridge is, and dangle the wire out the flap, just remember to pull it back in before closing, or tape, (or glue), it down to the side of the TM as far as it goes down to prevent slack.

tipper
09-25-2002, 12:28 PM
I mount one by the electrical outlet using double sided tape.  I pass the wire probe through the box containing the antennae amp.  The probe then passes down the refer access area and just extends outside of the bottom access door [about 1"].  

Gene
09-25-2002, 12:50 PM
I mounted my indoor/outdoor thermometer on the back wall above our bed. When I wake up in the morning, I can check the outside temperature before I crawl out of bed.

09-28-2002, 01:48 AM
I mounted my indoor/outdoor thermometer on the back wall above our bed. When I wake up in the morning, I can check the outside temperature before I crawl out of bed.

Doesn't it get knocked off when you close up?

Dave

Gene
09-28-2002, 03:41 PM
I stuck the thermometer to the back wall with velcro, just below the window. I stuck the temperture senser in the same area, but on the outside. No, it does not get knocked off when closing the trailer.

09-29-2002, 12:31 AM
In our 3023, I ran the outdoor probe behind the TV stand and out the 11%V outlet.  About 1-2 inches of the probe is visible, and I made sure the outlet plate wasn't pinching the wires.

We leave the thermometer either on the TV stand itself, or put it on the ledge between the top & bottom of the trailer.

When breaking down, we simply put the thermometer on the floor next to the TV stand.

ShrimpBurrito
12-18-2007, 02:29 PM
I've been thinking of where to put one myself. My requirements are that I want it permanently installed, it must stay out of the sun, and it must be far enough away from any thinly insulated part of the trailer so that heat loss will not heat the sensor and cause it to give an inaccurate reading.

That limits my options, it seems. Have been thinking about mounting it next to the thermostat and dropping the sensor down through the floor and mount it in some impact resistant case (outlet box, tuperware container, etc.) with a few holes for ventillation. With 3 inches of foam in the floor and the fact that heat rises, I'm sure there's very little heat loss through the floor.

I also though about running it to the rear battery/storage compartment (in my 2720SL), but am guessing that might be a few degrees warmer. Any thoughts?

Many thanks,
Dave

Freedom
12-18-2007, 03:03 PM
Our indoor/outdoor thermometer is a self setting (atomic) clock, too. It is mounted where the worthless/ugly Seth Thomas clock was on the front cabinets above the bed. Yours wouldn't have that of course being an SL. The outdoor unit hangs on a screw on the side of the front shell. It is wireless, so it can be moved if it's in the direct sun light. Our clock looks like this: (of course way cheaper at WalMart than at Cabela's- 19.95 at WalMart)http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp;jsessionid=LXKLTK5JTKC0BLAQBBKSCNNMCAEFMI WE?id=0050776626765a&type=product&cmCat=perf&rid=0180101070502&xpid=k1343&cm_ven=Performics&cm_cat=Affiliate%2Dclick&cm_pla=BizRate.com&cm_ite=DDI%20link&_requestid=96376

wbmiller3
12-18-2007, 05:20 PM
We also have a (different) "atomic" clock with wireless outside sensor. I set the sensor in the "handles" of one of the propane tanks when I'm setting up. When I turn off the propane tanks to pack down, I take the sensor back in.

BobRederick
12-18-2007, 05:48 PM
I attached a wireless sensor to the front of the lower shell with the idea of keeping it out of the sun. Problem was the thin insullation of the TM causes the outside wall to be somewhere between outdoor and indoor temp and you wind up with an artificially high reading overnight of several degrees. I haven't found a better location for it.

Scott O
12-18-2007, 06:44 PM
We have a wireless atomic clock, which I hang on the outside of the bathroom wall above the sink. I attach with velcro, and just take it down and put it in the sink when we close up. The remote sensor velcros to the upper outside wall above the lp tanks where I can't miss it when I push the slide out in. I also use velcro to attach a couple of photographs to the inside walls...makes the place sorta homey!

cali camping
12-18-2007, 09:07 PM
We found one with 3 remote temperature sensor capability. We put one in the freezer, one in the refrigerator and one outside where the bedroom bed slideout handle is so I don't forget to stow it when closing up. It also has an inside temp sensor so the unit shows inside temperature continuously and cycles through the other 3 temperatures automatically, pausing on each for 2 seconds. We mounted it where the old syle clock went above the dinette.

ShrimpBurrito
12-18-2007, 09:14 PM
Do you remember where you found that nifty device, Chip?

Virginia Deacon
12-19-2007, 02:17 PM
I put our wireless remote sensor inside the back bumper, on the right side. That way it's out of the way, in the shade, and shouldn't get bumped because nothing else is in that area of the rear bumper.

Happy Camping!

cali camping
12-20-2007, 12:24 AM
Do you remember where you found that nifty device, Chip?

Dave,
I actually bought it at a Radio Shack in Anchorage last winter on close-out. I'm not sure if they still make that model or not, but here is what I found on the Oregon Scientific websight:
http://www2.oregonscientific.com/shop/product.asp?cid=2&scid=5&pid=854

I'm not sure if the remote temperature readings can be set to cycle on this model or not. I won't be able to get the model number for the one I have till I get home.

ShrimpBurrito
12-20-2007, 08:03 AM
Very nice. I was actually on Oregon Scientific's website earlier, and hadn't noticed that one. Thanks!

Dave