PDA

View Full Version : Texas Hill Country

G-V_Driver
04-30-2005, 09:06 PM
Writing this on the wireless network as I sit in the Guadalupe River Campround Resort in Kerrville, TX. Our site backs up to the river, so we have a great view from our bed. Excellent facility, maybe the nicest I have ever visited. Six deer in view last night as we cooked dinner. Good convention hall and amenities in the resort, so it would be great group destination if anybody is interested. There are no tent sites, so all travel trailers, fivers, big rigs, etc. Lots of pull-through sites for the reverse-challenged.

We are by far the smallest unit in the resort, which at today's gas prices makes me even happier than I was before. It's a commercial campground (duh) but the river sites are far enough from the road (SH 27) that the noise is not a factor--for us anyway. Not cheap at $34 after discount, but for a couple of nights it doesn't matter.

I recommend this part of the country during April (wildflower season) for great weather, scenic drives and lots of wildlife. Saw two toms strutting for a hen during one of our drives yesterday, interesting to watch and listen to the mating call (gobble). Article in Dallas paper a few weeks ago about increased breeding when two males--usually siblings--work together to woo the wily hens. Guess these two toms must have read that article.

The great weather was temporarily interrupted about 5 am this morning by a big thunderstorm; ditches and gulleys were full of hail until after noon. It wasn't big enough to damage the car, but haven't checked the TM roof yet. Don't know max wind gust for sure, but a couple were as big as I can remember. TM was rock-steady, and except for a small leak where the center bead needs to be re-sealed, it was snug and dry.

Hope this is the first of many good trips this year.

Windbreaker
04-30-2005, 09:47 PM
Love that part of Texas, been going there many years. Check the shops in Fredricksburg and Ingram (east and north of Kerrville). A nice drive is to take 16 to Bandera (Cowboy Captial of the World). Do not try to take your trailer on this road, don't think you could make two of the curves. While you are in the neaghborhood check out highway 29 for spring flowlers.

Texasgranny
05-01-2005, 05:58 AM
There are several State Parks in the general area that would be a LOT cheaper places to camp. Most Texas State Parks have very nice accommadations. If you are into history, Kerrville is not very far from Stonewall and Johnson City - both have historical places that have to do with President Lyndon Johnson.

G-V_Driver
05-02-2005, 06:34 AM
State parks are indeed abundant and less expensive, but most are booked several weeks out, especially on weekends during the spring when the wildflowers are in bloom. If you plan a trip during that time period, you should make reservations as early as possible. The state park system has an 800 number to call. We tried, but were too late to get in for the weekend we were there.