PDA

View Full Version : 3023 and GMC Safari AWD

KdHammonds
09-21-2002, 08:51 AM
I am in the process of purchasing a 1998 3023 in south Florida.  I live in Central Ohio.  I have a 1998 GMC Safari AWD that I plan on using as my tow vehicle.  I would like opinions about this tow vehicle trailer combination.  Also, I will have my Safari equipped soon with a brake controller, and I am considering air shocks for the back, as well as a transmission cooler.  Are these modifications necessary, or worth the money?  I am a little considered about towing the trailer through the mountains on my way back from Florida along I-75.  If anyone has any feedback I would appreciate it.

Denny_A
09-21-2002, 09:52 AM
KdH,

Sounds like a very compatible setup. Rather than air shocks, a decent weight distribution hitch (WDH) might make more sense economical and stability wise. Even with air shocks, some weight (download) is removed from the front wheels, though probably not much. Say, fer instance, the tongue weight were 600 lbs at 3.33 feet behind the rear wheels. That would create 2000 lb feet of torque at the rear wheel. If the front wheels were 8 feet forward of the rear wheels, the lift force generated would be 250 lbs. Substitute math as appropriate for the Safari geometry.

The WDH will ensure normal weight distribution between front and rear. OTOH, the air shocks will allow you to be able to load to the full Cargo Carrying Capacity listed in the specs. Don't actually know what the stability ramifications would be.

Denny_A

Happytrails
09-21-2002, 10:02 AM
I tow mine with an s-10 blazer with the same engine as yours, 4.3L (If that's what's in yours), so you should be fine. I went the extra measure though and got a weight distributing hitch as the "loading" area in my blazer is behind the rear tires and I load a lot of heavy stuff. I just got it a couple of months ago, so I haven't installed the transmission cooler yet, but I'm not planning on towing the TM for a couple weeks, but I think I'm going to do that.

KdHammonds
09-21-2002, 10:10 AM
The unit I plan on purchasing includes a WDH with anti-sway.  My thought was the air shocks might provide an additional margin of safety.

Yes my Safari has the 4.3L engine and is AWD.  It has the 3.43 transmission and is rated to tow 4500#.  I am confident on flat ground this combination will work out fine.  My only concern is steep grades.

Thanks again for the feedback.

PAUL_R
09-21-2002, 01:22 PM
the joy of a trailmanor is how well behaved the unit is when towing. you should have no problems on the grades on I-75.

you have a WD with an anti-sway bar and a brake controller............add the transmission cooler and away you go.

IMO you don't need to go 75mph...60mph well do just as well.

tipper
09-22-2002, 12:31 PM
I tow a 2720 with an '97 Astro Van -  the same vehicle and engine.

I use a conventional hitch and tow just fine at 65-70mph under cruise control although we are relatively lightly loaded.  The engine is not the most powerful but no problems other than downshifts on steeper grades.

Axles weights measured for license purposes were:
trailer: 2,800lbs
rear: 2,800
front: 2,400

09-28-2002, 12:34 PM
We pull a 1995 Model 3023 with our 1997 GMC Safari.

Watch the trailer weight- our trailer axle is about 3200 pounds without our 'stuff'.  I'm convinced overloading is what blew our tire.

We pulled it to Fort Wilderness and back to Rochester, NY with no problems.  Handled the mountains OK.  I did have a transmission cooler added before that trip.

We got 13-16 MPG towing, depending on terrain.

PS
Check your Safari for a vacuum hose draped across the thermostat.  If it hasn't melted yet, move it away from that heat source.  Ours cracked and broke, leaving our controls stuck on 'defrost'.  I finally finished repairing that today.  I routed the new hose over the top of the air intake.  The Safari is the worst engine I have ever worked on.  Everything is very tightly packed.  It has been reliable in that it has never left us stranded.  It's also very versatile when you take out one or both of the rear benches.

Bruce
10-04-2002, 02:51 AM
We tow our 3124 with an Astro van (same engine) and it works fine as long as you do not expect to do 70 mph uphill. We usually keep our speed around 60 mph on level ground- everything just feels safer that way and it makes for less stressful driving.
Remember the AWD version has 500 lbs less towing capacity than the 2wd version. Also the weights given by the TM factory are dry weights and do not include any accessories or personal gear. Our trailer, set up for camping, weighed in at 4800 lbs and that was with the water and waste tanks empty! I then had the real axle ratio changed out to 3:73 to better handle the load and to be within GM's guidelines.
A transmission cooler is a good idea and a weight distributing hitch is a must. Do not attempt to tow for any distance without a WDH. I agree with the person who said you do not need air shocks. I use Monroe SensaTracs and handling is fine.
Hope this helps.

Bruce