PDA

View Full Version : 3326KSL & 3124SL

kensanto
04-21-2005, 07:29 AM
Am thinking of buying a Trailmanor. From what we have seen we like the 3124sl and the 3326sl. My wife really likes the 3326 because of the dinette. Has anyone had experience with this large trailer? I like the dual axles, but not the 14" tires. Any input will be appreciated.

Ken

kensanto
04-21-2005, 08:54 AM
Do you feel that getting a larger TM defeats the purpose of the TM concept?
IE: it is built to be easy to tow and fuel efficient, but by increasing the length and weight (to gain room and comfort) you negate the purpose of the TM trailer. And are the larger trailers as solid as the more compact models?

ken

RockyMtnRay
04-21-2005, 11:37 AM
Do you feel that getting a larger TM defeats the purpose of the TM concept?

No.

IE: it is built to be easy to tow and fuel efficient, but by increasing the length and weight (to gain room and comfort) you negate the purpose of the TM trailer.

Not really. The advantages are mostly across the entire model range. The majority of the ease of towing comes from (1) the low height...the major contributor to fuel efficiency is the same for all TM models , (2) the inherent anti-sway stability (a result of the rearward location of the axles relative to the CG...same for all TM models), (3) the relatively short length in tow configuration (26 feet is still fairly short by TT standards), and (4) low total weight (even a 3326 at a max weight of about 5000 lbs is very light for a loaded TT).

There are two advantages of TMs that do noticeably diminish once you get larger than about the 2720. First, the total loaded weight (and particularly the tongue weight) requires a tow vehicle with at least 5000 lbs tow capacity (realistically more like 6000 lbs)...and that exceeds the towing capacity of most minivans/small SUVs. A vehicle with a 6000 lb tow capacity could be used for a small standard travel trailer whereas a minivan with a 3500 lb capacity can tow a TM but really no other true TT. The other advantage of TMs...the ability to store them inside a regular home garage...is pretty much gone as many garages are only around 20 feet or so in length. A 3023 (even with swing hitch) will still need about 22 foot garage. My 2720SL (with swing hitch) fits nicely inside my semi-short (19.5 foot) garage...a 3023 wouldn't fit.

And are the larger trailers as solid as the more compact models?

I've never seen any trends in member reports that indicate the larger models are any more prone to structural issues than the smaller models.

kensanto
04-22-2005, 08:16 AM
Thanks guys: really looking forward to getting a TM. I am going to pull it with a 96 Jeep Cherokee 6 cyl 4.0 L. I already pull an 18' Nomad which weighs about the same as the largest TM. I do use an anti-sway WD hitch which is great. I think the anti sway tends to increase the stability of the whole rig. That and the set back wheels on the TM should be a great Combo. I am looking for used because of $$$. Hope to join you TM'ers soon.

ken

BobRederick
04-22-2005, 08:41 AM
Ken,

I decided on first TM, then the 3326 as the model for us. First, we are approaching retirement and the space has to be an advantage. Our kids are grown and we have occasional grandkids stay. But what I liked most was
a) the higher viewing position sitting at the dinette,
b) the ready access to refrig, stove, oven, and pantry from sitting at the dinette... The worst thing about a folding trailer is constantly bending over to get stuff. On this subject, I am trying to find just the right storage bin system so I can pull out a bin of items from the cabinets instead of getting down there to reach in. Several threads have dealt with that on the forum. Man, that galley right across the isle from the dinette is the way it should be!
c) Weight is about the same and can be pulled by my Envoy.
d) It matches the length of my son's toy hauler so I expect to be able to pull it into any dry campsite that he can get into. The 2.5" lift will make it even better and I may very well add that.

A current thread deals with axle weight and braking. The extra set of wheels gives more weight margin and braking capacity for long grades since the weight is little different compared to the 1-axle models and there are 2 sets of brakes doing the work. I like the second axle, but am not sure it is a big deal.

I love towing it. May get it out next weekend.

Tucsoncarol down there has a 3326King that was purchased in '04 and the same model I have. Might ask her how she likes it.

Best wishes. I would like to see a lot more of them in Az. Its really fun to get with someone else who has one and compare mods and ammenity improvements.

Keep us posted.

Bob

toeb
07-03-2005, 08:35 PM
I absolutely love the layout and towing of the 3326. I tow with a Ford F150 5.4 8 cyl. Just a straight towing hitch from local dealer with a 3" riser. Added a Prodigy brake controller and off we went. In the past, I've never towed anything longer than 20 foot, this TM 3326 has been a breeze to tow, now granted, I've only gone through the Shenandoah Mountains, the steepest incline (and return decline) was a stretch at 35 degrees. The truck did no less than 45 mph outgoing, and the trailor did fine on the return. I have no children and visiting overnight guest are few and far between so the layout works well. Which ever your choice, have fun and good luck!

BOB_STRONG
07-04-2005, 06:10 PM
We are on our 2nd 3326King TrailManor. The first one we had we kept it for 8 years. The present one will be 4 years old in September. We think the 3326 model is great for storage space. The best thing is the permanent side dinette in the kitchen area.

If we have more people eating when the weather is bad, we just set up the 2 tables in front of the couch area. So we then have plenty of eating space plus the counter area is huge to put your food out to serve.

We have the 2 chairs in the living room area. The standard large chair, and the smaller one that they were still making back in 2001 & 2002. If we were getting a new TrailManor today, we would still buy another 3326King. I would opt for the 3 drawer cabinet that fits in the living room area since you can't get the smaller chair any longer. The 3 drawer chest is standard in the 3124KS model. It's nice for a small 13 inch TV. Our friend has a new 2720SL, and he has the 3 drawer cabinet. He too uses it for his TV, and you then have 3 nice drawers for extra storage.

cmc211
07-05-2005, 06:28 AM
I have been a 3326 owner now for 3 weeks! We love it! Thursday we are leaving for our first extended trip. we are going to Flagstaff for about 5 days. So far I have no disapointments with the 3326. well built unit!! :)

dlkcub
07-11-2005, 02:12 PM
Just returned last night from a trip out west with our new to us 98 3326. We traveled over 4000 mile through all kinds of terrain without any problems. The TV is a 2000 Dodge Dakota with 4.7 V-8 and 3.55 rear end. I sure appreciated the low profile when we drove through a real "humdinger" of a storm in the mountains of Montana. Can those cross winds ever blow.

We too are gitting close to retirement and were looking for something that would be easy to pull and provide enough room that we wouldn't kill each other if we spent several days at a time in it. I think we found it. I'll try to share more about the trip when I catch up.

Dave